Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prob a stupid question.

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Do i need a licence to own an airsoft bb?
    Or is that only if its over 1joule?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

No, you dont need a licence to own an airsoft gun., anything over that 1J would be restricted under law and you'd probably be better asking over on the shooting forum if its something more powerful your after.,

A licence also would require the device to have a serial number, which airsoft guns dont so you wont get one for an airsoft gun,.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Akos01 wrote: »
    Or is that only if its over 1joule?

there is no such thing as a stupid question :D
    vtec wrote: »
    No, you dont need a licence to own an airsoft gun., anything over that 1J would be restricted under law and you'd probably be better asking over on the shooting forum if its something more powerful your after.,

A licence also would require the device to have a serial number, which airsoft guns dont so you wont get one for an airsoft gun,.,

probabaly the best advice youll get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Akos01 wrote: »
    You might need 3000 licenses for a bottle though!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

You might need 3000 licenses for a bottle though!:pac:

Funny man!

Eh you can actually put your own serial on your airsoft device aslong as its permanent and is on the lisence. People do it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Eh you can actually put your own serial on your airsoft device aslong as its permanent and is on the lisence. People do it all the time

this debate has been had before and as far as myself and other are aware the placing of serial numbers on aeg and other airsoft devices is unpractical, but if you have some examples of systems that work it would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

nope no licence needed for airsoft guns just an age limit and i think its 18

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

nope no licence needed for airsoft guns just an age limit and i think its 18

I thought that was just a restriction imposed by retailers. As they are classified as toys I didnt think there was a limit. I've certainly played (in fact most times i've played) there are under 18's on the sites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

legologic wrote: »
    I thought that was just a restriction imposed by retailers. As they are classified as toys I didnt think there was a limit. I've certainly played (in fact most times i've played) there are under 18's on the sites too.

But the retailer won't sell somebody under 18 and airsoft gun unless they're with a parent or guardian, and as far as I know the retailer sells the gun to the parent not the child and anything the parent then does with the gun eg. give it to their child is their responsibility.

removed as its offtopic

there no issue with your post, your post explains how i would hope every responsible retailer would act, unfortunately my reply was a result of knowledge that this does not always happen, but in context my reply was off topic and a bit random :D sorry for the confusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Puding wrote: »
    there no issue with your post, your post explains how i would hope every responsible retailer would act, unfortunately my reply was a result of knowledge that this does not always happen, but in context my reply was off topic and a bit random :D sorry for the confusion

Oh I see your point, sorry:o

I agree if only that was the way it happens in practice.

Anyway, sorry for off topic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

If a bb gun is over 1 joule as far as I have been told you do. No on will let you skirmish with a gun that fire's over 1 joule. If you try to import one customs could take it. I was looking at a shotgun and was told that if it fires over 1 joule it would need a license.

Advertisement