Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant was confusing

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I went to see my endocrinologist yesterday and my usual consultant was out sick, so was replaced by someone I'd never been to before. At the risk of being blunt, she was awful, kept changing her mind and offering advice for a very superfical symptom, but brushing off questions about my dosages since my symptoms/weight have changed, my normal consultant said he'd have to change them next time. She also told me to come off one of my meds for 6 months to 'see how it goes' though I need it (well documented right in front of her how bad I got without it), then she talked to someone else outside the room, and they said I will be on that med for the next 3-5 years (as other doctors told me.) Now I've been given an appointment for a year's time, and am really worried what will happen in the meantime! My other appointments were every 4 months. Who do I talk to? I felt very uncomfortable there, and I'm used to these appointments, I had a printed list of questions to ask and she brushed nearly all of them off.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you go back to your doc and ask him/her to arrange another appointment, this time with your consultant of choice?
    Alternatively, shouldn't the consultant be writing to your doc with a report on your consultation? Perhaps you could ask your doc the questions you have then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

I would suggest that you phone up your consultant (the one you trust) and ask them every single question that you have.

When it comes to health, it is much better for us, if we trust and believe in our consultants words.

Advertisement