Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet connection randomly dropping?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

I've a 10mb Magnet line, the speed is pretty good, usually get the full 10mb, apart from the odd night where its slightly reduced.

Recently (in the past 2-3 weeks), I've been noticing that in the evening, my connection randomly drops, maybe for 2-3 seconds, but long enough to cause me to lose any ranked Xbox Live game (basically ruined my boards.ie FIFA'09 league for me), causes any online poker game to be dropped and causing me a loss there too, any download stops, ftp, etc. This happens any thing from once per night (usual) to three times an hour. For the previous two months the connection has been perfect.

Has anyone else had the same problems? If so, what (if anything) did Magnet do about it?

Whats the point in paying for 10mb and having great speed if the connection isn't stable :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've emailed their customer support (as its late), so hopefully they will pull the finger out and actually doing something about it. Unlikely I guess, I'll probably end up changing ISPs if it persists. Anybody else had similar experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crusse

I have the same issue since the past 2 days.

I got Magnet 8mbit FTTH and first noticed it by the TV picture freezing every 30secs for about 3-4secs and then continuing(tv runs through rj45).
    I havent noticed any bigger problems with my PC yet but im pretty sure there are drops there too just that i dont notice em as i dont play poker or such. My downloads havent broken up even though ive had them running through the nights.

Not sure what is causing it i'm going to let it be for a few more days and see if things improve.

Did you get any reply from magnet on your mail?

//Crusse

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

lads make sure to call the guys in support......if you have no luck just send me a PM and ill be able to look it up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I got a reply to my mail, which said theres no problem. Fantastic.

I emailed them back twice and got a reply four days later saying to ring our customer service between 9-6 so we can troubleshoot (I work from 9-6 and am not in the house) and nobody else will be until Monday.

Happened 3 times tonight. Everytime at 20 mins to the hour. Happened last night aswell and the whole thing was down for about 3-4 mins. Three times last week.

Its getting progressively worse, and the time it takes for the connection to bounce back up has gone from 4-5 seconds to 2-3 mins. If their customer service don't do anything on Monday or tell me theres no problem, its going to be an instant cancellation.

I'm so sick of this. Paying 55 quid a month and getting an awfully unreliable line....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crusse

Sorry i thought i had replied on my post.
    I managed to sort my problem by repatching the network cables in the little patch panel you have if you got FTTH. I basically repatched one of my bedroom patches that I didnt use to the one I have my PC/TV on and it all went good again.
    So it looks like it was a bad switch/patch panel port that caused my issue, I got 5 patch points(of which i use 2) so I cant bother to contact support to send an engineer to replaced the switch and/or investigate the patchpanel.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Ah thanks for the reply, but you've largely lost me for most of the way there tbh....

All i have is the telsey box connected to the phoneline, then pc/mac/360/ connected to it (used to have a switch connected between the two along the way bit not anymore). I have noticed that one of the ethernet ports doesn't seem to be working though (it hasn't been working since it was sent out).

• Advertisement
Advertisement