Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the difference between some Nokia phones..

• 19-12-2008 7:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I'm just in the process of browsing exapansys and have noticed a lot of the N series phone are quite similar..Especially the N79 & N78.. There not much of a price difference either..

Why has nokia done this..? They both have the same specs like: AGPS, wifi, ext SDHC 3.5mm connector etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

techguy wrote: »
    I'm just in the process of browsing exapansys and have noticed a lot of the N series phone are quite similar..Especially the N79 & N78.. There not much of a price difference either..

Why has nokia done this..? They both have the same specs like: AGPS, wifi, ext SDHC 3.5mm connector etc..

To make money.

The handsets don't always come out at the same time, so Nokia drip-feed new features into their newest handsets e.g. Nokia N95 8GB and the Nokia N96; the main difference between the two was that the N96 had 16GB of memory, DVB-H (TV on your phone) and a more rounded look. The majority of users therefore dismissed the N96 as a minor upgrade and went for the N85, which offered a much better screen and cost less. Some decided to wait for the 5800 and/or N97 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You can also have very similar phones with different form factors.

On the N78 vs N79
    The N78 came out first and is missing a couple of things from the N79, e.g. Internet Telephone, camera isn't as good. No Front camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rsaeire wrote: »
    DVB-T (TV on your phone)
    it's dvb-h :p

T stands for terrestrial and is for normal tvs. H stands for handheld as is a version of T optimised for handheld devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

On closer inspection it does actually appear to be packed with a efw extras..

"The icing on the cake" for me was the Navi key that works like an ipod..and i'll be able to access Boards on it also!!:D

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it's dvb-h :p

T stands for terrestrial and is for normal tvs. H stands for handheld as is a version of T optimised for handheld devices

Trust you to spot that ;) Thanks Vimes! I’ve edited my post accordingly.

I wouldn't mind, it's not as if I didn't know that either; they all say that though don't they? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

On closer inspection it does actually appear to be packed with a efw extras..

"The icing on the cake" for me was the Navi key that works like an ipod..and i'll be able to access Boards on it also!!:D

Bit of advice, try the navi key before you buy. Nokia had to disable the n96's one due to the poor reception it got on other models.

I find the bigger the handset range, the more likely it is to find practically the same handset in a different housing.

Personally I find Nokia to be the worst and also repeat offenders with this. They not only release new models with very similar feature sets, they also update handsets with a few or less new features, add an “i”, usually, at the end of the model number, and release it with as a new handset e.g. Nokia 9300 => 9300i, 6300 => 6300i, N95 => N95 8GB etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Bit of advice, try the navi key before you buy. Nokia had to disable the n96's one due to the poor reception it got on other models.

I am actaully a little bit skeptical about it because I one or two youtube videos where the user tried to use it but it wouldn't work..I can't wait to give the phone a go and see what its like..

One more query..on the nokia N97 page it says that it only has a microSD slot that is capped at 8 gigs.. every other page says that it SDHC. Does anybody know what is correct because I'd like to ge me a 16GB card..

Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

One more query..on the nokia N97 page it says that it only has a microSD slot that is capped at 8 gigs.. every other page says that it SDHC. Does anybody know what is correct because I'd like to ge me a 16GB card..

Thanks..

I thought the N97 had 32Gb of on-board memory and the SD slot was only to extend it? http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=176946, but after reading the nokia specs it appears expansys are wrong, I doubt nokia would omit such a big feature on the specs list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Apologies for the bump, but the reason the specs are wrong is because that's a link to the n79, not the n97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

There are actually some marked differences between the n78 and the n79
    http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=28887
    It's funny: when manufacturers ignore reactions like, 'yeah, I'd buy your model xyz IF it had a, b and c', they are rubbish, but if a manufacturer offer slightly different models, they are rubbish too!?!?
    I'd love an e71 without gps but a bigger screen or better cam...
    I'd love a slightly cheaper n95 without the dual slide (which I find slidely useless...)...I'd pay double for an iphone that multitasks and does mass storage like any reasonable phone - I'd put up with the crap battery...

The n79 has a less unusual keypad than the n78, a better cam etc etc...
    The e61i had a cam unlike the e61.

You may not care about slight differences. Others do. And if someone is actually willing to fork out a lot for an n96...so be it: we all profit from those early adaptor fans...
    There's always a better model around the corner.
    Also and lastly: some models offered by sites like expansys are not meant to be released in every market. Sometimes they have features/difference that are designed for certain markets.
    Etc etc afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

strecker wrote: »
    There are actually some marked differences between the n78 and the n79
    http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=28887
    It's funny: when manufacturers ignore reactions like, 'yeah, I'd buy your model xyz IF it had a, b and c', they are rubbish, but if a manufacturer offer slightly different models, they are rubbish too!?!?
    I'd love a slightly cheaper n95 without the dual slide (which I find slidely useless...)...I'd pay double for an iphone that multitasks and does mass storage like any reasonable phone - I'd put up with the crap battery...

The n79 has a less unusual keypad than the n78, a better cam etc etc...
    The e61i had a cam unlike the e61.

You may not care about slight differences. Others do. And if someone is actually willing to fork out a lot for an n96...so be it: we all profit from those early adaptor fans...
    There's always a better model around the corner.
    Also and lastly: some models offered by sites like expansys are not meant to be released in every market. Sometimes they have features/difference that are designed for certain markets.
    Etc etc afaik

100% agree. The manufacturers produce what the masses want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Amen
    I'd love a slightly cheaper n95 without the dual slide (which I find slidely useless...)
    Did you really think you were going to get away with that ?

Wouldn't it be great if you could customise your phone like when you order a laptop ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

long_b wrote: »
    Amen

Did you really think you were going to get away with that ?

Wouldn't it be great if you could customise your phone like when you order a laptop ? :)

Hehehe... I remember a design posted on esato some time ago of a phone 'core' that comes with a vast number of cases. You eject the core and slide it into a different case. Small screen a keyboard, then full touchscreen etc etc... Good idea. But one of 'those' good ideas ;)
    Slidely, eh... At least I've never used 'fruity' in an iphone thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

so am i right in presuming the N79 is better than the N78?

I am considering getting an N78, should I? or is there a better phone out there in the business sort of market?

Advertisement