Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purelygadgets.ie Rip Off

Options
  • 19-12-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Back at the start of October 2008 I ordered a camera from PurelyGadgets.ie. It was stated to be in stock and was priced in Euro. The contact number was an Irish number (01 4434188). Anyway, the camera never showed up and I ended up cancelling after much bull**** from their customer service "oh, that's shipping today" being their standard reply to me everytime I asked where the camera was. I had paid €300 for the camera.

They emailed me confirming they would give me a refund (but only after I threatened to sue them). Then, they eventually refunded €260 to me. When I queried it, they put the difference down to the currency difference with sterling saying:

"Having checked our payment system, we have sucessfully refunded your account the amount of GBPXXX. You may please confirm this matter with your bank. Please note that we accept payment in GBP currency thus the amount that we debited from your account will depend on the exchange rate of your bank the time the order was placed. Unfortunately, we do not have any control of this."

As far as I was concerned, I was dealing with an Irish website that showed it's prices in Euro and charged me in Euro. They even had an Irish telephone number! I have checked their terms and conditions and they do not state anywhere that I would be actually chanrged in sterling.

What do you think, other than STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM PURELY GADGETS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tester46 wrote: »
    Back at the start of October 2008 I ordered a camera from PurelyGadgets.ie. It was stated to be in stock and was priced in Euro. The contact number was an Irish number (01 4434188). Anyway, the camera never showed up and I ended up cancelling after much bull**** from their customer service "oh, that's shipping today" being their standard reply to me everytime I asked where the camera was. I had paid €300 for the camera.

They emailed me confirming they would give me a refund (but only after I threatened to sue them). Then, they eventually refunded €260 to me. When I queried it, they put the difference down to the currency difference with sterling saying:

"Having checked our payment system, we have sucessfully refunded your account the amount of GBPXXX. You may please confirm this matter with your bank. Please note that we accept payment in GBP currency thus the amount that we debited from your account will depend on the exchange rate of your bank the time the order was placed. Unfortunately, we do not have any control of this."

As far as I was concerned, I was dealing with an Irish website that showed it's prices in Euro and charged me in Euro. They even had an Irish telephone number! I have checked their terms and conditions and they do not state anywhere that I would be actually chanrged in sterling.

What do you think, other than STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM PURELY GADGETS?

Have they closed the purelygadgets.ie website? I tried that address and it took me straight to purelygadgets.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Have they closed the purelygadgets.ie website? I tried that address and it took me straight to purelygadgets.co.uk.

I think it just automatically forwards to the .co.uk website now. The WHOIS for the Irish website is:

domain: purelygadgets.ie
    descr: Purelygadgets limited
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Corporate Name
    admin-c: AGQ603-IEDR
    tech-c: AGE218-IEDR
    renewal: 21-February-2009
    nserver: NS.RACKSPACE.COM
    nserver: NS2.RACKSPACE.COM
    source: IEDR

person: Alan Lim
    nic-hdl: AGQ603-IEDR

person: Antonio Lentino
    nic-hdl: AGE218-IEDR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well there's your answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Well there's your answer...

that's cryptic. where's my answer?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What currency is listed on the invoice (or email receipt) for your order? If it states Euro, then they must refund in Euro. If it states Sterling, then that's what you get.

If they don't give the full amount back, contact your bank and ask about a chargeback. Should be the disputed charges option when you ring up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement