Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Essexboy wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with shops closing as long as they are replaced - but most of these shops are in one area and the premises remain closed.
    The worry is that more stores will close with consequential loss of jobs and diversion of trade to other towns.

I was referring to the posts previous to my last post. I don't disagree with you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

Has anyone heard of TKmaxx closing??

Word on the grapevine is that it's just about shut up shop and move to a cheaper place.... Rent is ment to be savage there...

Any insight??;)

basquille wrote: »
    Always liked Video City... much better value than Xtra-Vision. They're quoting new releases for €2 a night now compared to Xtra-Vision's €4.50 new release rental a night.

Though Video City need to invest in some Blu-rays and PS3 / 360 games - all they have is PS2 games for rent.

I am delighted Video City is back.. It has a more personal touch than what was there.. They seem to focus on internet access and sun beds more than movies tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Has anyone heard of TKmaxx closing??

Word on the grapevine is that it's just about shut up shop and move to a cheaper place.... Rent is ment to be savage there...

Any insight??;)

Yeah heard this.
    It's not on though.
    TKMaxx & Next are the two anchor tenants of the Quayside and as such should not be allowed just shut up shop in my opinion...

Gillie wrote: »
    Yeah heard this.
    It's not on though.
    TKMaxx & Next are the two anchor tenants of the Quayside and as such should not be allowed just shut up shop in my opinion...

From what I heard from an inside source is Supervalue were ment to move in instread of TKmaxx. Because they pulled put TK were offered the space @ a reduced rent for 4/5 years...
    It is now in its 5th year and thinking of going...as the rent is high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Gillie wrote: »
    Yeah heard this.
    It's not on though.

Well, then the Quayside would be in their interests to make it worthwhile for them to stay.

Such is capitalism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

The quality of the mens clothes has been through the floor in TKMax for the last 6-8 months IMO

Its like they have been cutting costs!?

Coats/jackets arnt great compared to what they used to carry, few hoodies/trousers etc

lot of cheap/tacky shirts and cheap looking jeans etc
    or maybe thats just the fashion and im an auld codger?

I agree with the quality/standars of clothes there
    But the quality of Penneys hs greatly improved ~ Or am I the only one who noticed?

elshambo wrote: »
    The quality of the mens clothes has been through the floor in TKMax for the last 6-8 months IMO

Its like they have been cutting costs!?

Coats/jackets arnt great compared to what they used to carry, few hoodies/trousers etc

lot of cheap/tacky shirts and cheap looking jeans etc
    or maybe thats just the fashion and im an auld codger?
    It's $hite in my opinion
    But the quality of Penneys hs greatly improved ~ Or am I the only one who noticed?

I would go along with that.

From what I heard from an inside source is Supervalue were ment to move in instread of TKmaxx. Because they pulled put TK were offered the space @ a reduced rent for 4/5 years...
    It is now in its 5th year and thinking of going...as the rent is high

Ah!
    That changes things.
    Didn't know that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I hope Tk Maxx don't close! You can sometimes find a gem in there,although not very often it can be done.
    If they do shut shop in Quayside where could they move to.It would be handy to see a supermarket in Quayside but I just don't think it would work.

To be perfectly honest I very rarely even attempt to find clothing in TK Maxx

They're good for workout gear but I barely have the patience for regular clothes stores. Digging through piles of tacky crap is the quickest way for me to stay happy with what I've already got.

The homewares department of TK Maxx is where the real bargains are.

Xiney wrote: »

Knew you were going to say that:)

Xiney wrote: »

True dat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I hope Tk Maxx don't close! You can sometimes find a gem in there,although not very often it can be done.
    If they do shut shop in Quayside where could they move to.It would be handy to see a supermarket in Quayside but I just don't think it would work.

enough empty spaces in the retail park! they can get them for a bargain I suppose. Would be really bad if they did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

When we were in the UK we went to TK Maxx in Hatfield and almost spent all our holiday money in the shop. Everywhere you went there rails upon rails of stuff and all good. Also at the time they had a 70% sale on (this was about 3 or so years ago). We thought it was christmas... The clothes and shoes here seem to be made up of the stuff they couldnt sell over there:rolleyes:.

I just hope that Pull and Bear don't go.

The landlords should IMO make a good will gesture and cut the rents on all the stores to make it a bit easier on them. It is quite frightening when you hear of how many shops that are close to going under. This includes shops that have been a long time in the town. They probably wont cut the rent but how much will an empty unit cost them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Conways in Grattan Street is to close:
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/detail.php?id=3127

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

magnumlady wrote: »
    Conways in Grattan Street is to close:
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/detail.php?id=3127
    Hardly a "shock"... I heard about this a month ago.

Not to mention they've been selling items to clear for the past 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

basquille wrote: »
    Hardly a "shock"... I heard about this a month ago.

Not to mention they've been selling items to clear for the past 3 weeks.

well pardon me for breathing...first I'd heard of it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

me too...must of missed the post on it a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus... don't take it personally or anything! :D

Just thought the Sligo Today headline was funny: "Shock as Conways to close this week". It's about as shocking as that non-existent shooting in Cartron..!

Its the first I've heard of Conways closing,I haven't been in the shop in years,always thought it was compact and small.Never liked it.

All the managers of the shops in the retail park had a meeting with the management team of the retail park.They were discussing rents and what they are going to do about the 7 empty retail units up there.

Don't know what the outcome was but I can report back!

I know a few Tk Maxx stores are located in retail parks outside the town, Letterkenny, Blanch, Carrickmines, Drogheda and I'm sure there are a few others.So maybe there could be a possibility of them moving to the retail park.

7 empty retail units up there

:eek:

The landlords should IMO make a good will gesture and cut the rents on all the stores to make it a bit easier on them. It is quite frightening when you hear of how many shops that are close to going under. This includes shops that have been a long time in the town. They probably wont cut the rent but how much will an empty unit cost them?

They should look at how much stores are empty and adjust their prices, but seeing how the house prices were kept high eventhough there were lots of empty houses, I doubt they will!

Well I hope they do lower the prices.The place is like a ghost town up there.Six units closed down and one just never opened.What it needs is a supermarket.
    I was working last night and a man and a woman were talking to me for about ten minutes saying how great it would be if Tesco could open a store there,like they had planned to do accross the road,they may get planning for it in the new Environs plan but I actually doubt they would go ahead with it now in the current economic climate.
    She also mentionned that the cafe in Instore was a great loss,which I agree on hugely.

Homebase have plans for a BB's cafe in the store,it was due to go ahead a short while back but has been put on hold,wonder if that will ever happen either??

They need the New Tesco up there NOW!

7 emtpy units! Christ!

sadly the chamber of commerce doesnt want a tesco out of the town center.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Well I hope they do lower the prices.The place is like a ghost town up there.Six units closed down and one just never opened.What it needs is a supermarket.
    I was working last night and a man and a woman were talking to me for about ten minutes saying how great it would be if Tesco could open a store there,like they had planned to do accross the road,they may get planning for it in the new Environs plan but I actually doubt they would go ahead with it now in the current economic climate.
    She also mentionned that the cafe in Instore was a great loss,which I agree on hugely.

Homebase have plans for a BB's cafe in the store,it was due to go ahead a short while back but has been put on hold,wonder if that will ever happen either??

If anything, they'll lower the rent just to get tennants in to keep the buildings going. If they stay closed they will get run down over time......

The unit that never opened was leased by Martin Rielly at one time. He used it as a store for cars and X5's and stuff. Saw it one day when I was delivering to homebase

Advertisement