Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

sadly the chamber of commerce doesnt want a tesco out of the town center.

They'll change their tune!
    They have to!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

bobcar61 wrote: »

7 empty retail units up there.

I think i said it in this thread before but:

I knew a guy who managed a furniture shop up there and we stood there talking one day, he told me about the grief he was getting to generate sales while we looked at an empty car park! (he had NO control of advertising):confused:

1. No supermarkets meant the place was doomed to failure, even in the good times!
    2. All those furniture shops in the one place??? at best cutting each others throats price wise
    At WORST, 1 goes down shows that the rest will follow!!!

WHOever was in charge of getting shops into that park should be sacked/sue'd/in prison (democracy sucks eggs;))

I doubt that, if anyone sits and thinks about the retail park for a minute that they are actually suprised its in the state its in!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Gillie wrote: »
    They'll change their tune!
    They have to!!!

really hope so, a tesco with parking outside of the town center, stuff dreams are made of!! Every where in europe they make them on the outskirts but sligo wants it in the middle of town. Always supriced me how people hang on for dear live on old ideas and then are surpriced when things are going t*ts up.

People in the chamber of commerce let people believe it's better for them, and worse there are people that do believe them!! they cant see that they just want to protect their own bussiness and their high prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

elshambo wrote: »
    No supermarkets meant the place was doomed to failure, even in the good times!
    Why did they not build the park closer to Sligo so, instead of on a windy and wet hill halfway to Ballisodare , far away from other shops, apartments, houses, rail + bus station etc.?

2. All those furniture shops in the one place??? at best cutting each others throats price wise
    At WORST, 1 goes down shows that the rest will follow!!!

The shops were quick enough to come to Sligo to try to put Sligo shops out of business...time has proven Sligo with a population of 20,000 is not big enough to support a dozen shops selling furniture.
    WHOever was in charge of getting shops into that park should be sacked/sue'd/in prison (democracy sucks eggs;))
    Ye mean whatever planner allowed those units to be built up on top of that hill at all ...I agree there.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Why did they not build the park closer to Sligo so, instead of on a windy and wet hill halfway to Ballisodare , far away from other shops, apartments, houses, rail + bus station etc.?

The shops were quick enough to come to Sligo to try to put Sligo shops out of business...time has proven Sligo with a population of 20,000 is not big enough to support a dozen shops selling furniture.

Ye mean whatever planner allowed those units to be built up on top of that hill at all ...I agree there.

I find it funny that you seem to think your disagreeing with me on the first two points:rolleyes::o

• Advertisement

really hope so, a tesco with parking outside of the town center, stuff dreams are made of!! Every where in europe they make them on the outskirts but sligo wants it in the middle of town. Always supriced me how people hang on for dear live on old ideas and then are surpriced when things are going t*ts up.

In fairness there is some history there.
    Tesco was Quinnsworth and before that was Fivestar.
    It's in the middle of Sligo. That Arcade probably has the heaviest volume of footfall daily!

They should be opening a second store at Carraroe and not closing the one in O'Connell street.

But it's not up to them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Seems to me that you try to pick arguements with anyone on this forum

Do you think it would have made more sense to have a retail park in the center of town? If so, where would you propose that a site of that magnitude be placed with the ample parking that is available?

Where would you propose that the retail park was built that was in proximity to the train station?

Your comment about being half way to ballisodare is exaggerated. It is nowhere near ballisodare. Were clifford electrical mad to move their business half way to ballisodare also?

Are you a member of the chamber of commerce by any chance? Do you not think that Sligo people are entitled to have the choice to shop where they wish in different outlets. Do you believe that we should only have the choices that are available to us through the local merchants?

I think that the spot that was picked for the retail park was adequate, its out of the town, no traffic concerns and ample parking. What more could you want?

*grabs popcorn*

Shame that HMV would not take on the Sligo store,im sure they must have looked at it,maybe we are too close to the border!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Shame that HMV would not take on the Sligo store,im sure they must have looked at it,maybe we are too close to the border!
    Well, I'd imagine the rent for that location in Johnson's Court isn't cheap... and I'd say it was far from the most profitable of their stores.

• Advertisement

Im not suprised to tell you the truth, actually i would have been suprised if they had, as they were looking at opening in sligo about 4-5 years ago, which was before Virgin/Zavvi ( a mate of mine was asked if he would move to sligo to run the store if they opened)

And they decided against it, so if they didnt think it was viable then I cannot see why they would now!??

Although, maybe they had heard of Virgins/Zavvi's plans to move here?

Has the Sligo one closed,if not have they increased the discounts?

The missus works in the shopping center. She said that they were closed today.

GOt a delivery of empty boxes and pallets the other day. Wonder what for?*

(Rhetorical question)

Was open yesterday, new stock (same bland supermarket muck tbh), same reductions

I did see a couple of versions of championship/football manager for a quid

As for the discounts, some of the electronica was still quite expensive (not taking into account the 30% off) imo, so im not sure how much they actually marked stuff down to begin with

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Do you think it would have made more sense to have a retail park in the center of town? If so, where would you propose that a site of that magnitude be placed with the ample parking that is available?
    New shops should be built closer to Sligo....there are enough empty ones and brown field sites already. If you do need a " retail park ",the one in Letterkenny for example is built within walking distance of the town centre...thats why its successful. There are many sites close to the inner relief road for example....there is talk of a development where the Brooks Hanley timber yard site was....the Herons site is huge.....even closer to town there is a huge site at the back of Union Place / that corner thats opened up now. All those sites are closer than Carraroe, Duncans island and Cleveragh...I have heard it said that most visitors to Sligo never end up finding - or at least shopping in - any of those !

Your comment about being half way to ballisodare is exaggerated. It is nowhere near ballisodare. Were clifford electrical mad to move their business half way to ballisodare also?

Carraroe is halfway to Ballisodare. You do not have to stand on top of Knocknarea to see the relatively recent ( and , as our continental friends would say, regrettable and awful ) ribbon development between the two centres to see that.
    I cannot speak for Clifford electrical...but I know its a pain in the backside for those who want a bulb or a kettle to go to Carraroe, as for most people it necessitates a car journey ....not very environmentally friendly...
    Are you a member of the chamber of commerce by any chance?

No.

However, even if I was, do think that they, being the people who actually sign the cheques for rates in Sligo, should not have a right to agree with the Borough Council and planners on the development plan.

Do you not think that Sligo people are entitled to have the choice to shop where they wish in different outlets.
    Of course I think that Sligo people are entitled to have the choice to shop where they wish in different outlets !

Do you believe that we should only have the choices that are available to us through the local merchants?
    lol of course not. I have shopped myself in all different areas in Sligo, in most counties in Ireland, and in some other countries.

I think that the spot that was picked for the retail park was adequate, its out of the town, no traffic concerns and ample parking. What more could you want?
    If you think " that the spot that was picked for the retail park was adequate ", the customer has proven you wrong. The car park was mostly empty up there, since it opened. Where do the staff park up there ?...afaik there is no staff car park, but I am open to correction on that. Anyway, the fact that there are 7 units not open there now, and some others rumoured or possible to close soon, shows that area never was a great success ( except perhaps as a nice farmland ! ) ,and is not a great success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

if they would have opened a tesco there it would be a differant story,
    I know you dont agree, mate.

First, I am not your mate. I would also say its too far off the beaten track for Tesco....given Sligos small population etc. Thats why Tesco have plans to build their new store in Sligo.

Sligo Zavvi's phoneline is already disconnected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

First, I am not your mate. I would also say its too far off the beaten track for Tesco....given Sligos small population etc. Thats why Tesco have plans to build their new store in Sligo.
    You have a very aggressive tone and manner of communication. I would advise a little chill out there horse. :cool:

Like it or not people who do their main shopping do so in large stores like Tesco. They also tend to have cars and pile their shopping in the boot.

Look at Carrick-on-Shannon. Tesco is a nice walk from the town but is strong and busy.

It has loads of room and is streets ahead of Sligo.

Sligo town centre is too much of a piss-ache to be driving round to have a large shop like Tesco.

Personally if I'm not doing my usual of rushing into to Tesco at 10 at night for my bits and pieces I go to Dunnes as the parking is easier to find during the day and free. Also it is easier to get to without getting snarled in traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Carrick has a much better set-up.. I do my weekly shop in Sligo in Dunnes & Aldi as Tesco car park is a disaster & the local Centra is a complete rip off (apart from water, milk & eggs). I get all my meat in the local butcher, but would be delighted to see a large supermarket in the retail park - it would be handy as f---.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I cannot speak for Clifford electrical...but I know its a pain in the backside for those who want a bulb or a kettle to go to Carraroe, as for most people it necessitates a car journey ....not very environmentally friendly...

Most people that come up to the retail park are glad it's there.They say it's so handy not having to go into town to get stuck in traffic for ages just to get something small.

People who live in the town center can walk to the local shop to pick up a lightbulb or whatever but if you live outside town your going to have to get into your car to get whatever it is you need so that's why people opt for going to the retail park.

So many people have asked me if we are closing down,Usual response in "No" and the amount of "Oh thank god,I don't know what I would do if ye closed down" responses are uncountable.

A lady came into me last night and said that the town has enough shops already,bring a few more amenities out towards Carraroe such as a post office,creche and other everyday amenities.

Jimmy,where about in Sligo do you live.Is it outside of Sligo town or do you live in the town center where its easy for you to get your few bits and pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Carrick has a much better set-up.. I do my weekly shop in Sligo in Dunnes & Aldi as Tesco car park is a disaster & the local Centra is a complete rip off (apart from water, milk & eggs). I get all my meat in the local butcher, but would be delighted to see a large supermarket in the retail park - it would be handy as f---.

I bet I have seen you in the local butcher...I'm going to stalk you:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is zavvi still open in the town? Haven't been in around since christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is zavvi still open in the town? Haven't been in around since christmas.
    To quote what I said in a thread in Bargain Alerts:
    Sligo's gone AFAIK.

Johnson's Court was shut when I walking by but they had all the 30% off signs down, and a few white notes up on the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Mate, your argument reminds me of the arguments I heard all around me when Tesco were building a new store on the edge of the city where I'm from...... that was over 20 years ago! Now Tesco has 3 huge stores on the outskirts and one small store in the city centre, all of which are thriving. People will tavel from neighbouring counties just to shop in Tesco if it were on the outskirts.

New shops should be built closer to Sligo....there are enough empty ones and brown field sites already. If you do need a " retail park ",the one in Letterkenny for example is built within walking distance of the town centre...thats why its successful. There are many sites close to the inner relief road for example....there is talk of a development where the Brooks Hanley timber yard site was....the Herons site is huge.....even closer to town there is a huge site at the back of Union Place / that corner thats opened up now. All those sites are closer than Carraroe, Duncans island and Cleveragh...I have heard it said that most visitors to Sligo never end up finding - or at least shopping in - any of those !

Was the site at brooks available when the retail park was being built? Was the Herons site available when the retail park was being built?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Carraroe is halfway to Ballisodare. You do not have to stand on top of Knocknarea to see the relatively recent ( and , as our continental friends would say, regrettable and awful ) ribbon development between the two centres to see that.

Really? From where in sligo is it half way to ballisodare, Calry?
    Of course I think that Sligo people are entitled to have the choice to shop where they wish in different outlets !

Doesn't sound like it from the tone of your last post.

If you think " that the spot that was picked for the retail park was adequate ", the customer has proven you wrong. The car park was mostly empty up there, since it opened. Where do the staff park up there ?...afaik there is no staff car park, but I am open to correction on that. Anyway, the fact that there are 7 units not open there now, and some others rumoured or possible to close soon, shows that area never was a great success ( except perhaps as a nice farmland ! ) ,and is not a great success.

So are you an official nominated spokesperson for the 'Customer' majority, or are you expressing your personal opinion? Are you also saying that the reason for the stores closing is a result of customers deciding that its too far away, or don't know where it is? Nothing to do with the recession at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

If Sligo did what other towns did and built a bypass "around" the town and not "through" it the retail site may have been nearer perhaps. It would also have been within the town boundaries and Argos and Tesco could have been there. But it was a no go because most of the the Councillors own a lot of the shops in town and they would have found a new reason to stop developments perhaps? But there were too many furniture shops up there for the population and they would have still closed if they were nearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Since when was the retail park half way to Ballisodare? I used to live in Glencarraig and walked to work in the retail park every day. Now I'm not a fast walker, and Glencarraig is rather further from the retail park than Sligo town center, and yet, do you know, I'm certain I couldn't have walked from work to Ballisodare in the same time? Amazing. Could it be that your concept of distance is completely false?

Oh, and until recently I worked on Mail Coach Road. Now I think that by most people's standards that's pretty close to town, right? It's 5 minutes (barely) to O'Connell street from the top of MCR so that seems like a reasonable assumption. From the same point it's a 15 minute walk to the Carraroe retail park. My husband works in Finiskilin and says it's a 20 minute walk from the top of MCR to the middle of Finiskilin. Now I figure walking to your brown site by the quays is a similar distance. Which means, that living on MCR, a nice central location, the Carraroe retail park is in fact closer. So next time you need a kettle, either wait til a shop opens in the quays or wander up to the retail park<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Straight to the point there fozzle!! quite abrupt actually!

But your right,there is no way the retail park is half way to Ballisodare.Walking from Glencarraig was a fair old distance but definitely walkable!There is no way I would walk to Ballisodare,it would take me forever:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Ah you know - I'm shiney and nice 8 hours a day, can't expect that to last! ;)

Advertisement