Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Very true.

Have you been talking to your manager about a meeting that was held with the management team of the retail park.I think all the stores had a meeting with the management team on Monday but I haven't been working so I don't know if it happened or not.
    It was discuss what is going to happen to the empty units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

My manager thinks it's tomorrow (Thursday) :confused: This seems like it's not a good start.

I'm working tomorrow evening so I will ask my manager then.

Are you working,I could call over for once!

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm working tomorrow evening so I will ask my manager then.

Are you working,I could call over for once!
    I am indeed, but only til half five.

And if anyone thinks this is off topic it's not, we're planning the protection of our shops from the closings!!! :)

Good comeback there,I start at 5(after college)

I wonder if any other units are to close up there.

Toy City is pretty much bare,I think they are waiting for deliveries at the end of the month.They have signs up saying they aren't closing though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

fozzle wrote: »
    Since when was the retail park half way to Ballisodare? I used to live in Glencarraig and walked to work in the retail park every day. Now I'm not a fast walker, and Glencarraig is rather further from the retail park than Sligo town center, and yet, do you know, I'm certain I couldn't have walked from work to Ballisodare in the same time? Amazing. Could it be that your concept of distance is completely false?

Oh, and until recently I worked on Mail Coach Road. Now I think that by most people's standards that's pretty close to town, right? It's 5 minutes (barely) to O'Connell street from the top of MCR so that seems like a reasonable assumption. From the same point it's a 15 minute walk to the Carraroe retail park. My husband works in Finiskilin and says it's a 20 minute walk from the top of MCR to the middle of Finiskilin. Now I figure walking to your brown site by the quays is a similar distance. Which means, that living on MCR, a nice central location, the Carraroe retail park is in fact closer. So next time you need a kettle, either wait til a shop opens in the quays or wander up to the retail park<snip>

go girl, get it out!!

Good comeback there,I start at 5(after college)

I wonder if any other units are to close up there.

Toy City is pretty much bare,I think they are waiting for deliveries at the end of the month.They have signs up saying they aren't closing though:)

I was there yesterday and it's empty alright. they shielded a corner off. You think they will stay? Maybe they are waiting to see whats happening with the rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

I can't fault your analysis of corrupt government by the corporate parties but leaving gets you a 5 euro an hour job at WalMart in the U.S. with no health insurance, no safety net and no rights.

A citizenry earns what it fights for. There are no freebies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

fozzle wrote: »
    I am indeed, but only til half five.

And if anyone thinks this is off topic it's not, we're planning the protection of our shops from the closings!!! :)

Keep us posted.
    rcecil wrote: »
    I can't fault your analysis of corrupt government by the corporate parties but leaving gets you a 5 euro an hour job at WalMart in the U.S. with no health insurance, no safety net and no rights.

And this is related to stores closing in sligo because...............

rcecil wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think they mean stick it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm just going to issue a general warning here because I'm still mod for the moment.

Just because you're a regular poster doesn't give you the right to lose the rag with another poster. Even if they are particularly frustrating.

You all know the charter rules. Personal abuse of any sort will result in infractions or bans.

I'm actually saying this on thread because of the fact that a personally abusive (imo) post was thanked rather than reported by some of the regulars.

Sorry Tak et al, got a bit carried away. It won't happen again.

Sorry Jimmmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

sadly the chamber of commerce doesnt want a tesco out of the town center.

Sligo's chamber of Commerce have a lot to answer for
    Argos came in --despite their whinging and doing very well than you very much!!

A bunch of whingers i would say myself!!

They had it all their own way for years with inflated prices
    At least now there is plenty of Competition!!!!!!!!
    :D

rusty999 wrote: »
    Sligo's chamber of Commerce have a lot to answer for
    Argos came in --despite their whinging and doing very well than you very much!!

A bunch of whingers i would say myself!!

They had it all their own way for years with inflated prices
    At least now there is plenty of Competition!!!!!!!!
    :D

Yep I hope this recession is the end of support your local rip off!! Everybody is complaining about how expensive it all is but that is the consequence of buying at your local rip off!! Long live competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Yep I hope this recession is the end of support your local rip off!! Everybody is complaining about how expensive it all is but that is the consequence of buying at your local rip off!! Long live competition.

I think this is a little simplistic.

I own a business in Sligo, I employ Sligo area people. They spend their money in the local economy.
    I think we do a good job, and we place our customers first every time. We have a bit a craic as well.
    We're pretty busy so we must be doing something right. The answer may be above?

My staff are highly trained, reasonably well paid (fair), and like every other business we have to pay rent/rates/utilities.

Should I hire untrained scangers, maybe outsource work to a sweatshop in Bangladesh just so I can lower my prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Culchie wrote: »

I own a business in Sligo, I employ Sligo area people. They spend their money in the local economy.
    I think we do a good job, and we place our customers first every time. We have a bit a craic as well.

My staff are highly trained, reasonably well paid (fair), and like every other business we have to pay rent/rates/utilities.

Should I hire untrained scangers, maybe outsource work to a sweatshop in Bangladesh just so I can lower my prices?

Nobody running a business now can afford to rip off customers, and I doubt many have in the past. I haven't seen any business ripping off customers, I've just seen Irish businesses pay higher rates, rent and wages.

Nobody running a business now can afford to rip off customers, and I doubt many have in the past. I haven't seen any business ripping off customers, I've just seen Irish businesses pay higher rates, rent and wages.

I may have misplaced my sarcometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

zavvi closed during the week

I may have misplaced my sarcometer.

I was agreeing with you!

• Advertisement

I was agreeing with you!
    I know (I think :))

I know (I think :))

Okay. (I think)

it's the whole mentality of shopping with who you know, no matter what the quality is or if they charge you more, that I was criticising. It's bad for the economy. People will not give you better quallity or better price if you just shop by who you know. If you give better service as somebody else ofcourse your price goes up, rightfully so! I believe people can make these choices, low price isnt everything. But in sligo I have often the choice out of buying something or not because there is no competion.

and yet the prices from the retailers went up the last 6 months!!
    and in holland we pay far more tax yet we pay less for lots of things, besides that thing are already cheaper in galway or dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Ahhh!! So Thats why prices in the south are so much higher than in Northern Ireland??
    And don't the business's up there pay good wages and pay rent and rates etc?
    Correct me if i am wrong on that by all means..

I bought a set of car tyres and saved almost 200 Euro
    Expensive tyres I know but nevertheless I needed them, and I got some satisfaction from saved so much.
    Having said all that I would MUCH prefer to shop local but not at the prices they charge
    COMPETITION RULES !!!

Ahhh!! So Thats why prices in the south are so much higher than in Northern Ireland??

I bought a set of car tyres and saved almost 200 Euro
    Expensive tyres I know but nevertheless I needed them, and I got some satisfaction from saved so much.
    Having said all that I would MUCH prefer to shop local but not at the prices they charge
    COMPETITION RULES !!!

and the saving are more then the vat differance.

The only way to let people put there prices down is by not shopping there, then they have too!

I support my local business if it supports me.

If I employed 5 staff on minimum wage here in Sligo (which I don't, they are on higher rates), and compared that to 5 staff on minimum wage in Northern Ireland ....I think there's something in the region of €38,000 per annum difference.(not including PRSI)

I'm not here to defend shoddily run businesses, and I'm very much on the side of the consumer....but slagging off business purely based on price really shows a lack of understanding of the complexity of the issues facing this country at the moment.

Has the recession affected your business Culchie?
    Was line of business are you in?Don't worry if you don't want to disclose,don't have to mention your businesses name!

Has the recession affected your business Culchie?
    Was line of business are you in?Don't worry if you don't want to disclose,don't have to mention your businesses name!

www.signsexpress.ie/sligo based in Collooney.

We're still going very strong to be honest, we've had to adapt to changing circumstances by tailoring our business to different sectors etc (construction/replacement fleet business significantly affected).... but we have no intention of have a negative growth year.
    When economy picks up, we should be in excellent position.

It's not easy out there (especially getting paid) but you just get on with it, and reinforce and build on your existing business relationships and attract new business via word of mouth.

• Advertisement

So...Michael is it?

Glad to hear things are going well,wish every other business in town could be saying the same as you.
    It's a sahme to see Zavvi gone,wonder what,if anything will open there instead.

Advertisement