Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Culchie wrote: »
    www.signsexpress.ie/sligo based in Collooney.

We're still going very strong to be honest, we've had to adapt to changing circumstances by tailoring our business to different sectors etc (construction/replacement fleet business significantly affected).... but we have no intention of have a negative growth year.
    When economy picks up, we should be in excellent position.

It's not easy out there (especially getting paid) but you just get on with it, and reinforce and build on your existing business relationships and attract new business via word of mouth.

Well Culchie, I now see where you are coming from, and I have to say that your own business is a top shelf product as i know where you are in Collooney

I know i mentioned tyres earlier but I think in general I would be more complaining about food/shopping/groceries etc.
    The bottom line is that People will Travel!!
    I saw it myself at Xmas-every car i met coming out of Enniskillen was southern reg and loaded with shopping--Leitrim Mayo Sligo Donegal etc and all
    travelling for the Bargains. Its not like years ago when people would almost be scared to query the price of a product and simply hand over the cash.
    Nowadays, if someone gets a quote for a service or product locally--they then go straight on line to compare the price and see if it can be found cheaper. And if the local price compares favourably they will shop local. If it does NOT compare favourably they will order it on line--or as the case may be travel up north. Sad ,but true!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

rusty999 wrote: »
    Well Culchie, I now see where you are coming from, and I have to say that your own business is a top shelf product as i know where you are in Collooney

I know i mentioned tyres earlier but I think in general I would be more complaining about food/shopping/groceries etc.
    I saw it myself at Xmas-every car i met coming out of Enniskillen was southern reg and loaded with shopping--Leitrim Mayo Sligo Donegal etc and all
    travelling for the Bargains. Its not like years ago when people would almost be scared to query the price of a product and simply hand over the cash.
    Nowadays, if someone gets a quote for a service or product locally--they then go straight on line to compare the price and see if it can be found cheaper. And if the local price compares favourably they will shop local. If it does NOT compare favourably they will order it on line--or as the case may be travel up north. Sad ,but true!!

It is very sad but true! Take our example, we gave all of our baby things away to a couple who were not in a position to buy their own things. Long story short, we have to start all over again and get new equipment for this baby. Our dilemma was, do we shop locally (like we did with the wee man) and do without a few things because we can't afford them or buy everything we need online from UK for much cheaper. We're not talking a few € here but a few hundred €, including postage. Believe me, I would love to be able to go to Sligo and buy what I need but 9 times out of 10 we come home empty handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

rusty999 wrote: »

Thanks for the nice words.

I also see where you are coming from ... however we have to realise that local grocery stores/supermarkets would drop their prices in a flash if they could.....but you have other factors at play that simply don't allow that. (Min Wage/VAT etc...)

The larger stores in the North also benefit from being in the 'UK' from a logistics point of view (carraige).

I see SuperValu are price matching their products to Sterling at the moment in an attempt to keep customers.

Anyway, back to work:o ...maybe check in again tonight towards Midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tudder

Whats everyones take on this closing, for me it is so sad! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Its a bit crap alright. It was good o be able to get cd,s games, tshirts, books etc all under the one roof. Hopefully we get another similar type store in there like HMV asap.
    But i did miss paying twenty odd euro for a cd up in the record room( record set for biggest ripoff in town) as it reminded me of my youth when it was the only place in town to buy a cd or cassette as we called them then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tudder

I know zavvi was quite cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Check out This thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

frag420 wrote: »
    Its a bit crap alright. It was good o be able to get cd,s games, tshirts, books etc all under the one roof. Hopefully we get another similar type store in there like HMV asap.
    But i did miss paying twenty odd euro for a cd up in the record room( record set for biggest ripoff in town) as it reminded me of my youth when it was the only place in town to buy a cd or cassette as we called them then.

The Record Room's prices were disgraceful. Don't know what they are like now but when I was younger and big into music I must've spent a fortune in there and Star Records.

I used to get all my stuff from Amazon or Play until Zavvi opened in Sligo,so i will miss them.I was hoping HMV would take over and the staff would keep their jobs but it is not to be so its back to buying online as i would never go neat the Record Room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Check out This thread
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

CSC wrote: »
    The Record Room's prices were disgraceful. Don't know what they are like now but when I was younger and big into music I must've spent a fortune in there and Star Records.

Not so sure if you are right or indeed wrong about that!! I know the record room and have often spent money there. But were they any more expensive than a galway or Dublin record shop--dont think so. The suppliers or the middle men were the ones that i wud blame and the mark up they had was crazy. Mind you thats all changed but unfortunately there are no winners in my book!! The record room is losing, the suppliers are definitely losing, The artists are losing and the customer is also losing out. Ok everyone is buying on line--well not everyone--but the choices are not as varied i Think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

buying music???????

...really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Exactly,i cant remember the last time I bought an album or a single.

The record were always really expensive until some competition,it was the only place really to get music in Sligo at a time and the Star records came along and more competition followed.
    Now its all about downloads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I don't like downloads...have to have the cd...I like having something in me hand:eek:
    I've asked the record room for things before and they look at me like I've grown another head.
    Third wave are good, but Zavvi had the best selection...and now its gone:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

magnumlady wrote: »
    I don't like downloads...have to have the cd...I like having something in me hand:eek:
    Third wave are good,

agreed...think perhaps it may be an age thing.its about having something
    material to show for your money.
    building a music collection in the past involved it occupying a space,
    and was somthing that impressed all that saw it ;) .

nobody gets impressed by the size of an ipod or its content:o.

btw...third wave is the dogs!

dardevle wrote: »

Speak for yourself :pac:

dardevle wrote: »

agreed...think perhaps it may be an age thing.its about having something
    material to show for your money.
    building a music collection in the past involved it occupying a space,
    and was somthing that impressed all that saw it ;) .

btw...third wave is the dogs!

I reckon it might be an age thing too. I like to read the cd booklet and look at the pics...read the lyrics, you can't do that with a download....also can sell downloads if you get fed up with them...you can with cds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Xiney wrote: »
    Speak for yourself :pac:

mines a nano:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I reckon it might be an age thing too. I like to read the cd booklet and look at the pics...read the lyrics, you can't do that with a download....also can sell downloads if you get fed up with them...you can with cds.

I felt this way when cd's came in! I was a total vinyl junkie, still can't resist flicking through someones album collection.

Well, if you get the downloads for free, why bother selling them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Free downloads... why.... I never heard of such a thing??! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Does anyone know if Feeneys Garden Centre, Market Yard is closed? It was on Friday.

Does anyone know if Feeneys Garden Centre, Market Yard is closed? It was on Friday.

I heard they shut at Christmas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

you can download the booklet and cd covers aswell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I heard they shut at Christmas??

Thanks ML, thats a shame. There is no garden centre in town now. There is bloke that sells plants in the Market on Fridays who is brilliant value and has really good healthy plants. I've not seen him so far this year but he should start selling soon.

Cannings got my business today instead. Winters over. :) Hurrah!

you can download the booklet and cd covers aswell!!

its not the same though:(

Thanks ML, thats a shame. There is no garden centre in town now. There is bloke that sells plants in the Market on Fridays who is brilliant value and has really good healthy plants. I've not seen him so far this year but he should start selling soon.

Cannings got my business today instead. Winters over. :) Hurrah!

Homebase had some great deals on primroses on Saturday. I'm not 100% sure about Feeneys, but thats what someone was telling me...they said they were moving to Collooney...but no sign of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

its not the same though:(

I'm a vinyl junky myself. love my records still!! dont play them though quallity is really bad. I'm gonna put them in the computer though!! Cd's never really did it for me.

I'm a vinyl junky myself. love my records still!! dont play them though quallity is really bad. I'm gonna put them in the computer though!! Cd's never really did it for me.

I've got quite a lot of vinyl too...except they've got warped over the years.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Word has it that Currys or PC World are moving next Argos,

Advertisement