Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

Word has it that Currys or PC World are moving next Argos,

Proof??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Word has it that Currys or PC World are moving next Argos,
    As in down to cleveragh? That isn't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

As in down to cleveragh? That isn't happening.

I saw you in your work a week or two ago, but I thought I'd spare you the "Hi! I know you from the internet!" talk. I was in buying a cable, a really, really, really expensive cable, I have since learned.

/Vows to check pound shop first next time..:pac:

(Sorry, off topic - thought it was chit chat thread.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The 3G (old Eircom store) in Wine Street Car Park is closing..

No great loss.. very pricey products which can be ordered cheaper from the 3G website on Buy4Now.ie.

Not to mention the fact they've got a sign outside saying 'Authorised Apple Dealer' - and I got blank stares when asking if they sold MacBook's about two years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I agree about the 3G store not being a great loss. I asked in there about internet radios (think that was when they were still eircom), they hadn't a clue what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I am told that Gilroy Tiling let 20 people, in Grange and Sligo, go during the week, and they are holding (another) sale.
    Not surprising, I suppose: if houses are not being built, tiles will not be needed.

Shame about Gilroys they've been around for years.

Principles in the Quayside have closed down.
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/detail.php?id=3438

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Essexboy wrote: »
    I am told that Gilroy Tiling let 20 people, in Grange and Sligo, go during the week, and they are holding (another) sale.
    Not surprising, I suppose: if houses are not being built, tiles will not be needed.

I can confirm that, a friend of me works there and he's one of the few still working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

worth a bump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well you can add Vinnie McDonaghs in here now.

I was in there this eve and its cleaned out. Got a dvd/surround sound combo for a ton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Slidey wrote: »
    Well you can add Vinnie McDonaghs in here now.

I was in there this eve and its cleaned out. Got a dvd/surround sound combo for a ton.

The shop in Ballymote or the one in Collooney?

AFAIK it is both.

It was the Colloney one I was in this evening though.

I'll walk the mutt and let ye know if you wait half an hour!

Yep, its not looking good for Ballymote either.

Had a look through the shutters and the place looked like there was a looters convention in there. :(

Vinnie always, always, gave a few quid off whatever ya bought and made ya feel like you got a bargain. I normally went to him as he was local and if the thing broke outside of warranty he would organise something for you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Yep, its not looking good for Ballymote either.

Had a look through the shutters and the place looked like there was a looters convention in there. :(

Vinnie always, always, gave a few quid off whatever ya bought and made ya feel like you got a bargain. I normally went to him as he was local and if the thing broke outside of warranty he would organise something for you. ;)

Maybe in Ballymote but the one in colloony didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

is this for real I knew Pat from business before and always found him a gentleman as is his father. Really hope this is not the case and that they pull back from it. The Ballymote store should be bought and paid for long ago unless remortgaged again since to finance the other shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Pity they moved from Sligo to Collooney a few years ago...the market in Sligo was much bigger. A friend of mine needed a kettle recently and said who would drive 14 miles or 15 return for a kettle ? There was no pedestrian traffic in Collooney. Pity they seem to have closed all the same, I hope they can keep going / open again somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I've heard the closure was a big surprise to employees and they are still owed wages etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

:eek:

The battle I had with them over stuff before in the town store would lead me to never buy stuff from him ever again and it was only a quarter way through it's warranty. Customer Service was never their strong point.

In fairness you weren't dealing with Vinnie but his son.

The auld fella himself was a shrewd business man and would look out for repeat customers.

EDIT: Oh ya, Sony are walking bastards to deal with as well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I thought McDonagh's were fecking woeful too!

Girlfriend picked me up a nice 21" CRT there a few years back for Christmas.. was taken from the store to a taxi and carried into her house.

Opened up Christmas morning to see the screen smashed to bits.. brought it back the first day they were open after Christmas and they were reluctant as feck to take it back.

• Advertisement

fmcc wrote: »
    is this for real I knew Pat from business before and always found him a gentleman as is his father. Really hope this is not the case and that they pull back from it.

I agree, hopefully they will pull back from it, as the shops had a reasonably good reputation for after sales service ...its sad to see old businesses go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Customer service at Mc Donaghs? You must be kidding.... I ordered stuff there for the house to be delivered 3 weeks later & was told "no problem". The dishwasher arrived a week later & I'd nowhere to put it. The washer arrived on time, but no sign of the fridge.

It hadn't been ordered & would take 3 months to arrive into the country. Feicin' joke of a place - no wonder their closing.

I feel really sorry for Vinnie, he has had the Ballymote shop for so many years and is a lovely fella.

If there was an anchor store in Collooney the shops might have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

magnumlady wrote: »
    I feel really sorry for Vinnie, he has had the Ballymote shop for so many years and is a lovely fella.

We've bought a lot of stuff off Vinnie and always found him good to deal with. He must have had the Ballymote shop for around 50 years! :eek:

Never really took to the Collooney shop, though, and never bought anything from it.

He set it up in 1949.

He actually told me the story when i bought my telly off him a few months ago. It is sad to think a man of his age would see all that he worked at by destroyed by overzealous expansion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

:confused::confused:

I was in there today.
    The girl behind the counter told me they had now been bought over and assured all their jobs were safe....... :confused::confused:

genie wrote: »
    We've bought a lot of stuff off Vinnie and always found him good to deal with. He must have had the Ballymote shop for around 50 years! :eek:

Never really took to the Collooney shop, though, and never bought anything from it.

+1

The shop in Sligo seemed to always be much busier than the Collooney shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Melody Maker hasnt been closed but it moved on the shopping lane where the Morgan shop was before in the Quayside shopping centre across from River Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭DenMan

Jeez....this is awful guys. While not from Sligo originally it is sad to see these places close down. Has anybody an idea as to whether companies are coming to Sligo?

If it keeps up it'll become a ghost town being dependent on the students. Let's hope not (even though I am a student there).

• Advertisement

Its also sad to see the Zavvi store still closed.Its a pity HMV couldnt open up as there wouldnt be any competition for them!

Advertisement