Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I haven't heard that my employer is struggling to get to the end of the month. Have you?.

Yes. As all staff hours were cut, it is obviously not doing well.
    Maybe if that clothes shop in Tesco arcade just changed their stock it might attract more people to go in. From what I see in the window, it doesn't make me want to go in..

It's a womens clothes shop, it's not meant to make you want to go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Thought I saw a few mens things in it as well though from walking past, obviously not then.
    How long ago were staffs hours cut, they weren't really cut, just the contracts but many people are still doing the same hours as before and I'm actually doing more than I have been doing since in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Walking through Johnsons Court I see that Sony Centre has gone wallop.

Not too much of a shock as it was linked with Vinnie McDonaghs.

I heard Currys was going from the retail park. Anyone confirm or deny this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Slidey wrote: »
    Walking through Johnsons Court I see that Sony Centre has gone wallop.

went passed it today, noticed the shutter were down, no notice or sign, also tom tailors, 30% off signs with shutters down, half filled racks/shelfs, anyone confirm whats happening with the two of them

There was a sign in the window when I went passed saying they had ceased trading as of the 2nd of July and all warranty claims to be sent to Sony Ireland.

Good luck with that ^ :mad:

There was a sign up in the clothes shop saying they were closed temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

There was a sign in the window when I went passed saying they had ceased trading as of the 2nd of July and all warranty claims to be sent to Sony Ireland.

Good luck with that ^ :mad:

There was a sign up in the clothes shop saying they were closed temporarily.

ah, i wasn't paying a huge amount of attention walking through the place, were you there today

:o

Yep went in to look to see of they were busy.

A former friend of mine used to work there and I had heard he was on a 3 day.

I don't think Currys will be closing down, in fact I think the store is due for refurbishment so all Currys store will look the same as the ones in England. The store in Galway is closed at the moment to undergo this development.

There is a sign in the window of where The Bag Shop was saying that a new store is opening soon. At least there is some good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I do think Currys will be closing soon.
    I was reading an article in the Sligo weekender I think it was last week and the manager was saying they can't compete with the prices that Currys in Northern Ireland charge due to the lower VAT rate etc.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I do think Currys will be closing soon.
    I was reading an article in the Sligo weekender I think it was last week and the manager was saying they can't compete with the prices that Currys in Northern Ireland charge due to the lower VAT rate etc.

I read that as well. A former colleague of mine is temporarily working up there, she is a manager in the Galway store and I asked her if it was going to close but she said the newspaper took it up wrong. I don't know who to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I don't think Currys will be closing down, in fact I think the store is due for refurbishment so all Currys store will look the same as the ones in England. The store in Galway is closed at the moment to undergo this development.

There is a sign in the window of where The Bag Shop was saying that a new store is opening soon. At least there is some good news.

Yeh, can confirm a similar type of business will open there.

O/T I know but was it yourselves that did the Feehilys Florist new premises on the old Dublin RD?

O/T I know but was it yourselves that did the Feehilys Florist new premises on the old Dublin RD?

We did yes.

Looks fantastic, the vans are very eye catching.

Well done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I read that as well. A former colleague of mine is temporarily working up there, she is a manager in the Galway store and I asked her if it was going to close but she said the newspaper took it up wrong. I don't know who to believe.

Yeah the champion took it up the wrong way. Declan Ronayne (MD of DSG Ireland) said that things like the vat rate here are causing customers to go to the north and that this would lead to store closures and job losses especially around the border area. The champion thought he meant that in relation to DSG stores when he actually meant it in a general sense with regards to the whole retail sector. Currys is fine.

With regards to Tom Tailer - All their stuff has been half price for absolutely ages (I picked up some bargains in there) so maybe that has something to do with it. Hope they don't close though as they had some nice stuff at good prices.

Are McCarrick Peugeot & Seat closed down,heard a rumour to the effect!

Have not heard anything about that. Best bet is to give them a call, if they don't answer you can be sure they could be closed or go down and take a look.

If they do close I'm sure we will all hear about it in the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The Tubbercurry one closed last year. Haven't heard anything about the Sligo one.

Sligo one is gone.

Thread about it in Motors

Sligo one is gone.

Thread about it in Motors

:( The shi t is really starting to hit the fan now.

Next 6 months is going to be a bloodbath.

• Advertisement

Yep, its like a ghost town here in work.

A few of the neighbouring garages cannot be far behind McCarricks.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Prophets of Doom and Gloom. .:(

With respect,that's what some of you are beginning to sound like now.
    It seems to me that some people are getting off on this and are beginning to compete with each other at this stage to see who's first in to reveal the latest 'local business closure' bad news.

Would you be so quick to report a good news story like somewhere re-opening maybe or a new business emerging. I doubt it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Jabby wrote: »

It seems to me that some people are getting off on this and are beginning to compete with each other at this stage to see who's first in to reveal the latest 'local business closure' bad news.

Would you be so quick to report a good news story like somewhere re-opening maybe or a new business emerging. I doubt it. :confused:

In all fiarness I read somewhere in the general chitchat thread that a shop was reopening in johnstons court.

But we could put your theory to the test by opening a thread with stores opening in sligo.

Other then that I think you're right.

Thanks, That's not a bad idea. We'll see what happens. I bet it won't get 21,000+ hits like the 'closing down' one.

Yep, its like a ghost town here in work.

A few of the neighbouring garages cannot be far behind McCarricks.. :(

The ones with massive overheads will be in trouble,not enough money coming in to pay the mortgage/lease on new showrooms.How are Connollys doing,don't see many new VWs on the road?

In all fiarness I read somewhere in the general chitchat thread that a shop was reopening in johnstons court.

But we could put your theory to the test by opening a thread with stores opening in sligo.

Other then that I think you're right.

Yes and i miss Zavvi,wish HMV would open up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Yes and i miss Zavvi,wish HMV would open up there!

YES -- I miss the choice of DVDs and CDs:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Jabby wrote: »

We will try to be positive for you, Mr Cowan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, businesses are opening up - people who have been made redundant are going to be creating their own start-ups, yours truly included.

They're just not going to be hiring anyone any time soon, is the problem.

• Advertisement

[quote=Macroom Man;61039817]We will try to be positive for you, Mr Cowan![/quote]

Good man yourself MM. Optimism in dark times. Try it. Not much to ask for now is it.

'Macroom Man'. I knew that name rang a bell. I looked up some of your past posts and as I suspected, I am not the first poster you accused of being in this party or that.. I could quote the posts in question but couldn't really be bothered.

The only thing that worries me though by your short smart arse post is that it smacks of a certain 1950's psyche that prevailed all over this depressed Ireland at that time when everyone blamed everyone else for their woes.. ''Poor us and all our emigration''- when all around us as they stood there wringing their hands whinging, our devastated bombed out neighbouring countries like Britain and Germany were impressively getting on with it and re-building their bombed out cities.

If this attitude is allowed once again to fester here then God help us all.

Begrudgery was ripe in them recessionary days my friend and it seems it's getting a new lease of life from the likes of your good self during this one.

Just to put you out of your misery, I am not an admirer of Brian Cowan and his government as I've stated before but I do think that if we had someone like Sean Lemass as Taoiseach, a man of vision, as we did in the early sixties then we would be in a far better situation now.

Advertisement