Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Thanks Jabby, I as a non national didn't dare to say it, but I really agree with you that most people I come across here (not the boards but in life) are really into doom and gloom. Very negative, it does seem like people in Ireland love the recession, illness and accidents.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I met someone today who was opening up a new restaurant tonight. Never asked them where unfortunately.

I met someone today who was opening up a new restaurant tonight. Never asked them where unfortunately.

Wrong thread!!! Jabby opened one for the positive ones!!;):D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wrong thread!!! Jabby opened one for the positive ones!!;):D
    D'oh! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I dunno if it has been posted yet but yesterday when I went back to the carpark from my shopping through Johnston Court Shopping Centre Ive seen a sign on the window of Sony Centre that they will re-open on 17th August... What is that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The store is supposed to be opening under a new franchisee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Janine87 wrote: »
    I dunno if it has been posted yet but yesterday when I went back to the carpark from my shopping through Johnston Court Shopping Centre Ive seen a sign on the window of Sony Centre that they will re-open on 17th August... What is that all about?

Yep it was mentioned a couple of days ago that the shutters were down. Wonder what franchise it will open as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It is to reopen as Sony Centre, just under different owners.

Oh my bad I read that as opening under a new franchise not franchisee. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Temptations cafe in the Quayside has closed, a sign in the window said 'The recession is the nightmare'.
    The second hand shop in The Quays is gone as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Really sorry about temptations, one of the only free wifi spots and illy coffee, nice owners also.

I know its not Sligo but the Abbey Hotel in Dromahair closed yesterday and has gone onto liquidation, not good for the village:(

But on another note plans for a new supermarket,creche and gym have been approved for Dromahair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

bobcar61 wrote: »
    But on another note plans for a new supermarket,creche and gym have been approved for Dromahair.

Sure Bob, but from what I hear not too many people happy about that, it is widely believed that 'Stonebridge' development should be finished by the same applicants before any new site in Dromahair should be allowed to start. I agree with this opinion and honestly feel that it would be a better village with the Abbey and without a third supermarket.

Stonebridge is an unfinished estate in one of Leitrim's most scenic locations and it is a disgrace how it has been left! Shane and Liam Filan would, I imagine, have the resources to at least complete the landscaping and return the site to its original pristine state or finish buildings as per the PP granted.

Shane might also think about taxing the Aston in Ireland and paying his dues as the rest of us must.

P.s. I think I just followed Bob's OT post!

Really sorry about temptations, one of the only free wifi spots and illy coffee, nice owners also.

I know its not Sligo but the Abbey Hotel in Dromahair closed yesterday and has gone onto liquidation, not good for the village:(

I have to say they do that on a regular basis, probaly opens under new management in a few weeks or months.

Sure Bob, but from what I hear not too many people happy about that, it is widely believed that 'Stonebridge' development should be finished by the same applicants before any new site in Dromahair should be allowed to start. I agree with this opinion and honestly feel that it would be a better village with the Abbey and without a third supermarket.

Stonebridge is an unfinished estate in one of Leitrim's most scenic locations and it is a disgrace how it has been left! Shane and Liam Filan would, I imagine, have the resources to at least complete the landscaping and return the site to its original pristine state or finish buildings as per the PP granted.

Shane might also think about taxing the Aston in Ireland and paying his dues as the rest of us must.

P.s. I think I just followed Bob's OT post!

Dromahair absolutly doesn't need a third supermarket! It does need a creche and a playground. They should refuse anyone building any more estates till these are finished and occupied. Don't think anyone would build one in these times any way. Don't think it's a good idea to finish stone bridge, the last thing we need is more empty houses. They should presure shane and liam to build the creche at stone bridge.

I didn't realise there were two supermarkets already in Dromahair.

Wasn't there a restaurant somewhere in Dromahair called Gusto Perigod (sp?). Did that close down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Terrible about the Abbey Hotel, nice folks there, and terrible loss for the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Wasn't there a restaurant somewhere in Dromahair called Gusto Perigod (sp?). Did that close down?

I ate there years ago - the food was fantastic, but the waiting staff were very odd - it was like being served by members of the Addams Family.

I think it closed a good while back & re-opened under new owners, though I'm not sure of it's current status.

I ate there years ago - the food was fantastic, but the waiting staff were very odd - it was like being served by members of the Addams Family.

I think it closed a good while back & re-opened under new owners, though I'm not sure of it's current status.

It's closed for a few years now. After that it was/is riverbank (bit like coach lane, same price and disapointing food) but that has moved to what used to be the clubhouse. The building is empty at moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's closed for a few years now. After that it was/is riverbank (bit like coach lane, same price and disapointing food) but that has moved to what used to be the clubhouse. The building is empty at moment.

Pity that - it's a nice building, secluded too. I always thought it'd make a great location for a Japanese restaurant.. none of yr cheapo Chinese muck, but something along the lines of Yamamouri's on Dame St in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Im probably way behind with this one but is it true that McDonagh Electrical is gone bust???Also agree that its a shame to see the Abbey Manor closed down,i think its the Sammons from outside Mohill that own it,they also own the Hillstreet in Mohill.

Pity that - it's a nice building, secluded too. I always thought it'd make a great location for a Japanese restaurant.. none of yr cheapo Chinese muck, but something along the lines of Yamamouri's on Dame St in Dublin.

Does Yamamouri's tepanyaki? I'm looking for a restaurant that does, japanese food is one of my favourites. I miss a good Greek restaurant aswell (went to the one in Malhide) any sugestions more then welcome. Me and the family do restaurant breaks to the city coz we miss diversity in restaurants!! Tapa's is an other one, we gonna have a break to Galway for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

They won't last long if they don't tell people where it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Jabby wrote: »
    [quote=Macroom Man;61039817]We will try to be positive for you, Mr Cowan!

Good man yourself MM. Optimism in dark times. Try it. Not much to ask for now is it.

'Macroom Man'. I knew that name rang a bell. I looked up some of your past posts and as I suspected, I am not the first poster you accused of being in this party or that.. I could quote the posts in question but couldn't really be bothered.

The only thing that worries me though by your short smart arse post is that it smacks of a certain 1950's psyche that prevailed all over this depressed Ireland at that time when everyone blamed everyone else for their woes.. ''Poor us and all our emigration''- when all around us as they stood there wringing their hands whinging, our devastated bombed out neighbouring countries like Britain and Germany were impressively getting on with it and re-building their bombed out cities.

If this attitude is allowed once again to fester here then God help us all.

Begrudgery was ripe in them recessionary days my friend and it seems it's getting a new lease of life from the likes of your good self during this one.

Just to put you out of your misery, I am not an admirer of Brian Cowan and his government as I've stated before but I do think that if we had someone like Sean Lemass as Taoiseach, a man of vision, as we did in the early sixties then we would be in a far better situation now.[/quote]

I know about emigration - I took the boat to Britain to find work: I found it and a lot more. So you can see why I have a jaundiced view of our rulers.
    You are right about Lemass; he recognised that the country needed to change and that the old ways/old days were finished. His successor, Biffo, cannot do that. Who can? I wish I could see someone who can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭DenMan

Why all the agro? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

My in-laws were in Homebase the other week and were told by one of the staff that Marks & Spencer had looked at units in Carraroe but were put off by the Chamber of Confinement's opposition.

I can believe that the Sligo business people would sabotage any newcomer's attempt to come here but I think M&S would be sufficiently aware of the situation here not to consider opening in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Essexboy wrote: »
    My in-laws were in Homebase the other week and were told by one of the staff that Marks & Spencer had looked at units in Carraroe but were put off by the Chamber of Confinement's opposition.

I can believe that the Sligo business people would sabotage any newcomer's attempt to come here but I think M&S would be sufficiently aware of the situation here not to consider opening in Sligo.
    Firstly can't imagine M&S making it in Sligo, wouldn't be worth it for them.

The chamber of commerce should be disbanded and those who own businesses in the town and are members should be boycotted. They are the last gasp of local business men and women who became to comfortable being able to rip the people of Sligo off for years. Now they try and oppose any new businesses coming to Sligo because they see they might lose out on a pretty penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

its in collooney

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

as for the chamber of commerce.....absolute joke!!!look at the state of tescos store in wine st car park....its a joke to go in to.imagine if they relocated to carraroe retail park where their is plenty of space for them, the business it would bring to those shops up their and parkin would be free:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

vinniew09 wrote: »
    as for the chamber of commerce.....absolute joke!!!look at the state of tescos store in wine st car park....its a joke to go in to.imagine if they relocated to carraroe retail park where their is plenty of space for them, the business it would bring to those shops up their and parkin would be free:)

WELL SAID:D:D:D:D

Advertisement