Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Stevedore wrote: »
    I don't think someone posting on an obscure internet forum is going to close a business or put jobs at risk, keyboard warriors don't have that kind of power, but I was assured by a trustworthy person that it's true

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/04/02/moffits-dismiss-store-closure-rumours/

looks like the rumor was unfounded.... and potentially damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

dardevle wrote: »
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/04/02/moffits-dismiss-store-closure-rumours/

looks like the rumor was unfounded.... and potentially damaging.

Thanks for that DD. I thought it was wrong to let that post stand as it was damaging and completely without foundation, This type of post has no place here and IMO our Mods should avoid this happening again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stevedore wrote: »
    I don't think someone posting on an obscure internet forum is going to close a business or put jobs at risk, keyboard warriors don't have that kind of power

Yes it can. People love spreading rumours and the internet is a great communication tool. The two make a potent and dangerous mix at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

just seen that renees pasta bar coffee shop is closing down this saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

ge_ch wrote: »
    just seen that renees pasta bar coffee shop is closing down this saturday

That's a shame, it was a lovely place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

+1 and manu is such a nice guy. the times we are in.

Faith shoes and Melody Maker both closing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

magnumlady wrote: »
    Faith shoes and Melody Maker both closing down.

Is Melody Maker defo going???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was in MelodyMaker today.. is closing down.

50% off DVD boxsets and series, all other DVD's for €5, Blu-ray's for €7.50 / €10.. shame it brought them down to a similar price that HMV were selling them for, sometimes even more!

Tough to compete I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bcalchess

basquille wrote: »

50% off DVD boxsets and series, all other DVD's for €5, Blu-ray's for €7.50 / €10.. shame it brought them down to a similar price that HMV were selling them for, sometimes even more!

Can't believe that you are still on their case even in their closing down sale saying that HMV are still cheaper! Like the Moffits case these are real local people not corporations that you are talking about. Yes HMV have a monopoly and are a bigger company than most of the wholesalers that would have supplied Melody Maker.

Maybe they were a couple of euro dearer but a business like this are good for a local area and will be sorely missed. Local businesses sponsor local events, profits are spent locally and stock is bought from local wholesalers. None of this can be said for HMV or online retailers.

I also notice that the damaging rumour regarding Moffits earlier in this post still stands Mod's! If we are all going to be amateur journalists (see twitter Gerry Ryan case) we would want to have our facts straight and be aware of the power & pain these posts have in the real world. In fact I would go so far as to say this post should be closed. What a pack of vultures

• Advertisement

bcalchess wrote: »
    Can't believe that you are still on their case even in their closing down sale saying that HMV are still cheaper! Like the Moffits case these are real local people not corporations that you are talking about. Yes HMV have a monopoly and are a bigger company than most of the wholesalers that would have supplied Melody Maker.

Maybe they were a couple of euro dearer but a business like this are good for a local area and will be sorely missed. Local businesses sponsor local events, profits are spent locally and stock is bought from local wholesalers. None of this can be said for HMV or online retailers.
    Whoa whoa whoa.. over-react much?

What's this "you are still on their case" - you singling me out there or was it a broad generalization of local shoppers in general.

And read what I said again:
    shame it brought them down to a similar price that HMV were selling them for, sometimes even more!

I never advocated buying in HMV or dissuaded anyone from buying in MelodyMaker. I sympathized with MelodyMaker said it's tough for them to complete with that HMV!

basquille wrote: »

What it looks like you are saying is that despite the 50% sale it is still cheaper to get your DVD's in HMV which is denigrating Melody Maker's closing down sale!
    What I am saying is - give them a break. They are selling their stock at a loss and need this sale to succeed to pay debtors etc. Comments like the above are not helping.
    You can correct me if I am wrong & If I have misinterpreted what you have said apologies. My anger is not directed at you personally. I just want people who are posting things in these threads about shops (untrue in Moffits case) to be more careful as there are real Sligo people behind these businesses. I am not attached to Melody Maker in any way but I do feel sorry for them.

What it looks like you are saying is that despite the 50% sale it is still cheaper to get your DVD's in HMV which is denigrating Melody Maker's closing down sale!

What I am saying is - give them a break. They are selling their stock at a loss and need this sale to succeed to pay debtors etc. Comments like the above are not helping.

You can correct me if I am wrong & If I have misinterpreted what you have said apologies.
    You did misinterpret..

It wasn't my intention to be snide towards Melody Maker and I do feel sorry for them but my closing statement of "Tough to compete I'd say" is meant as an indication that even with a closing down sale and 50% off, their bigger "high-street competitors" still do come out cheaper. It's a tough industry for them, and it is unfortunate how it worked out.

I do support fully support local businesses - I've bought DVD's for €25 and €30 off the Record Room in the past when I could have them much cheaper online.
    My anger is not directed at you personally. I just want people who are posting things in these threads about shops (untrue in Moffits case) to be more careful as there are real Sligo people behind these businesses. I am not attached to Melody Maker in any way but I do feel sorry for them.
    The Moffit's rumour was unfair and potentially damaging.. but it should remain in thread with the link to the news story quashing it soon after.

Curleys furniture in Collooney is closing down. They are having a big sale starting on May 28th to clear the stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So are you saying that as consumers we should be obligated to give more of our money to one person because they're local rather than what would cheaper? Are you a member of the chamber of commerce by any chance?

Just a note.

Tiscali (Toucan, TalkTalk, Pipex - Whatever) is closing its doors for the last time tomorrow. Circa 150 jobs lost.

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

So are you saying that as consumers we should be obligated to give more of our money to one person because they're local rather than what would cheaper? Are you a member of the chamber of commerce by any chance?

I would,I don't mean a huge difference,but for the sake of a few euro,ya.

Yep fingers. Thats exactly what I am saying. Its the whole basis of the Fairtrade movement and concepts like Microfinance . Consumers have a responsibility when they make a purchase and contrary to what the consumer agencies promote it is not to seek the lowest price in every circumstance!

PS
    Not a member of the Chamber or any other similar body.

Yep fingers. Thats exactly what I am saying. Its the whole basis of the Fairtrade movement and concepts like Microfinance . Consumers have a responsibility when they make a purchase and contrary to what the consumer agencies promote it is not to seek the lowest price in every circumstance!

PS
    Not a member of the Chamber or any other similar body.

And what if we can't afford the local shops because we don't have jobs as a result of this this piss poor country? Should we just go without?

And what if we can't afford the local shops because we don't have jobs as a result of this this piss poor country? Should we just go without?

No. I would not expect anyone to pay way over the odds or anything extra if unemployed! But If it is a case of a euro here and there to support local jobs and local businesses definitely.
    The government, ah now thats a different story. Not a peek out of us while they are carrying out the biggest heist in Irish history. Greatest ever transfer of wealth to the elite. They must be pissing their pants with glee:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just noticed that Curleys Furniture in Collooney has signs up for a closing down sale.

dingding wrote: »
    Just noticed that Curleys Furniture in Collooney has signs up for a closing down sale.

I posted that yesterday but it got lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Faith the shoe shop outside the Quayside Shopping Centre closed about 1 or 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Curleys furniture in Collooney is closing down. They are having a big sale starting on May 28th to clear the stock.

They were open this evening (26th) - appearantly it was "by invitation only", but they let me in without any questions! The place was absolutely jammed - car park was full, cars parked all over the place.

I think some people got the wrong end of the "invitation only" stick & were expecting a champagne & nibbles reception, as there were a serious amount of women dolled up to the nines!!!

Anyhow, the price reductions weren't that significant - the place was always over-priced & didn't seem all that cheap for a clear our sale.

A word of warning - I would be wary of paying cash up front to any store that is closing without getting or taking delivery of the goods first. I'm not saying that this will happen with Curleys, but this time last year, a furniture shop in Dublin had a massive sale, took full payment on many items for delivery & deposits for others, then "closed" the shop for "stocktaking". They texted their staff that day to tell them not to come into work.

That day, they cleared all the stock out of the shop & closed up for good, leaving customers who'd paid money up front high & dry (as well as all their staff out of a job). If you are a customer like this, you will be the last creditor to be paid by any company that goes into liquidation, that's after all the other creditors are paid & only if there is any money left to refund you..

As the saying goes - buyer beware.

I was there yesterday morning with my 'invitation'. Never seen Collooney so busy. Bought nothing, I thought it was too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I went there yesterday evening and didn't buy anything either. I thought it was terribly expensive. I bought a table and six chairs there a while back and saw the exact same thing for €200 more than I paid for it. :rolleyes:

The place was packed yet the Tile Warehouse just up from it had closed as usual at 6pm, if they had any cop on they should have stayed open and made a few Euro out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Aw I'm only copping on to which one Curley's was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I was there yesterday morning with my 'invitation'. Never seen Collooney so busy. Bought nothing, I thought it was too expensive.

I received an "invitation" too although I have never set foot in any Curley's store, and it was posted in Britain.
    Where did they get my name and address from? looks like it was taken from the Electoral Register.

Essexboy wrote: »
    I received an "invitation" too although I have never set foot in any Curley's store, and it was posted in Britain.
    Where did they get my name and address from? looks like it was taken from the Electoral Register.

Same here, they must have got my address from another mailing list. I'm always getting letters from Flanagans furniture too and I've never been near them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Same here, they must have got my address from another mailing list. I'm always getting letters from Flanagans furniture too and I've never been near them either.

These sound like Data Protection issues to me. I'd take it up with the Data Protection Commissioner. I got a letter from them, but I did buy something from them not long after they opened. The letter they sent me was possibly also a breach of the Data Protection Act, as the only reason they had my address was to deliver the furniture, and it should not have been kept for longer than 12 months, nor should it have been used for any other purpose, such as this advertising.

Having said that, taking a DP case against a closing business is probably not worth the cost of the (free) e-mail to the DP Commissioner!;)

Advertisement