Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Essexboy wrote: »
    I received an "invitation" too although I have never set foot in any Curley's store, and it was posted in Britain.
    Where did they get my name and address from? looks like it was taken from the Electoral Register.

I never thought of that, I thought they had a database of all their past customers. Don't like the idea of my details on the Electoral Register being used like that. And it was posted in the UK which I thought was a bit odd. Is their HQ in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

TheQ47 wrote: »
    These sound like Data Protection issues to me. I'd take it up with the Data Protection Commissioner. I got a letter from them, but I did buy something from them not long after they opened. The letter they sent me was possibly also a breach of the Data Protection Act, as the only reason they had my address was to deliver the furniture, and it should not have been kept for longer than 12 months, nor should it have been used for any other purpose, such as this advertising.

Having said that, taking a DP case against a closing business is probably not worth the cost of the (free) e-mail to the DP Commissioner!;)

We shall see - I have emailed the DP Commissioner and received an automated reply promising an answer within 15 days. I won't hold my breath!

Curley's will still have stores in other towns, they are only closing the Sligo store.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

it,s is only sligo closing ,and curley's are based in briar hill, galway . ,irish owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

One of my facebook friends got a letter. This is what it said at the bottom:
    ''curley's furniture obtains mailing data from the irish consumer marketing database and other sources in accordance with the irish direct marketing code of practice. if you wish your details to be removed from this database please write to database update services, freepost, po box 5641, dublin 2.''

So I'm going to write to get my name removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

on the bottom of the invitation was written the following:

''curley's furniture obtains mailing data from the irish consumer marketing database and other sources in accordance with the irish direct marketing code of practice. if you wish your details to be removed from this database please write to database update services, freepost, po box 5641, dublin 2.''

edit: ha, val, i was saving you the copying and pasting :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A word of warning - I would be wary of paying cash up front to any store that is closing without getting or taking delivery of the goods first. I'm not saying that this will happen with Curleys, but this time last year, a furniture shop in Dublin had a massive sale, took full payment on many items for delivery & deposits for others, then "closed" the shop for "stocktaking". They texted their staff that day to tell them not to come into work.

That day, they cleared all the stock out of the shop & closed up for good, leaving customers who'd paid money up front high & dry (as well as all their staff out of a job). If you are a customer like this, you will be the last creditor to be paid by any company that goes into liquidation, that's after all the other creditors are paid & only if there is any money left to refund you..

As the saying goes - buyer beware.

Excellent advice. You will be protected if you pay using a credit card though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

genie wrote: »
    I never thought of that, I thought they had a database of all their past customers. Don't like the idea of my details on the Electoral Register being used like that. And it was posted in the UK which I thought was a bit odd. Is their HQ in the UK?

I know this is going a bit OT, but you can ensure that your name from the Electoral register is not used for direct mailing (junk mail) purposes. There is a "modified register" and only this can be used for direct mailing, so contact the county council to make sure your name is not on the modified register and that'll be one place less for people to get your name and address. There's plenty of others, though!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

TheQ47 wrote: »
    I know this is going a bit OT, but you can ensure that your name from the Electoral register is not used for direct mailing (junk mail) purposes. There is a "modified register" and only this can be used for direct mailing, so contact the county council to make sure your name is not on the modified register and that'll be one place less for people to get your name and address. There's plenty of others, though!:rolleyes:

Thanks for that! Here are the contact details:

Register of Electors
    Mary Farrell
    County Hall
    Riverside
    Sligo
    Tel: 071 9111012
    Fax: 071 9141119
    Email: mfarrell@sligococo.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/06/10/reid-furniture-closes-its-doors/

reids furniture doing a fly by night it would appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

yeah, i heard a guy from the galway store on joe duffy earlier. bad form the way they treated the staff yesterday. bad bad form :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

So the only active shops up there now are Currys, PC World and Homebase... what are they gonna do with the rest of the empty shops??? I think they should open up 2Seasons again. It was a great shop and I dont understand why it closed down. Is it just the Sligo one that closed down years ago or is it the whole company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Janine87 wrote: »
    So the only active shops up there now are Currys, PC World and Homebase... what are they gonna do with the rest of the empty shops??? I think they should open up 2Seasons again. It was a great shop and I dont understand why it closed down. Is it just the Sligo one that closed down years ago or is it the whole company?

Not trying to be funny but why would they keep a shop open if it isn't profitable and I'm sure that they projected that it wasn't going to be profitable in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Add Halfords, Harry Corry, Cost Plus Sofas and Carpet Right to that list.

Completley agree with greetings, why would the owner keep the store open if he was going to be losing money, not like he would have it open for the craic if it was loss making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

terrible treatment of staff , but not suprised, all the furniture shops have exactly the same stock , poor quality and way over priced.

who came up with the name "cost PLUS sofas" doesn't send out positive vibes !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

terrible treatment of staff , but not suprised, all the furniture shops have exactly the same stock , poor quality and way over priced.

who came up with the name "cost PLUS sofas" doesn't send out positive vibes !:D

Lol yes we have often wondered about that name too.:D

I actually heard that Reids were closing down last week.....so people did seem to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Add Halfords, Harry Corry, Cost Plus Sofas and Carpet Right to that list.

Completley agree with greetings, why would the owner keep the store open if he was going to be losing money, not like he would have it open for the craic if it was loss making.

well yeah you are right there but I think all the shops that Sligo have are crap! No good shops... nothing like Marks&Spencer H&M etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

well yeah you are right there but I think all the shops that Sligo have are crap! No good shops... nothing like Marks&Spencer H&M etc...

Ya chain stores like them usually are cheaper but they are also crap as you said. Try some of the independent retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The Cyber cafe in Quayside is closed, funny I was there earlier this year and it seemed to be busyish but then again I hadn't been there for ages before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

Lower their prices and won't need to close.

Too much greed, too over-priced. Its cheaper to shop in the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

g32 wrote: »

Too much greed, too over-priced. Its cheaper to shop in the north.

the prices are actully getting closer, hopefully the VAT increase in the UK to 20% in the new year will keep shoppers this side if the boarder and maybe even attract northern shoppers (unfortuatly wont be in time for the xmas rush), also have to consider a weak pound and the very generious exchange rate that we get for the euro

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

g32 wrote: »

Dem's fighting words dem are

I'd very much doubt that shop owners are going out of business because they are too greedy to lower their prices a bit. Chances are, they can't afford to sell them any lower, and as they aren't making a profit, they close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

g32,

That's a silly argument to say the least!

Next you'll saying why can't a family-run retailer charge the same as the Argos's and Tesco's of the world? It just can't and won't happen.. these people need to make a living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kjb83

People should consider the social impact of where they shop, not just the prices. The local family owned business contribute far more to our standard of living than the large retailers.

The Local Family owned businesses are the ones who sponsor the local GAA, Soccer,golf competitions, community games, social services, social amenity development fundraisers etc....

These are all things that contribute to our enjoyment and happiness in living around Sligo and for that reason if I'm deciding whether to buy in a local family owned business or elsewhere I'll always support the local family and I'd urge everybody else to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rabsmith2

Supporting the local family run business is fine, but what happens when u meet the shopowner in front of u in asdas checkout!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kjb83

Well if you do all your shopping local you won't meet the owner up in Asda!

kjb83 wrote: »
    People should consider the social impact of where they shop, not just the prices. The local family owned business contribute far more to our standard of living than the large retailers.

The Local Family owned businesses are the ones who sponsor the local GAA, Soccer,golf competitions, community games, social services, social amenity development fundraisers etc....

These are all things that contribute to our enjoyment and happiness in living around Sligo and for that reason if I'm deciding whether to buy in a local family owned business or elsewhere I'll always support the local family and I'd urge everybody else to do likewise.

Asda support Irish jobs because they sell Irish products like: Finches, Boyne Valley Honey, Flavans, Good Fellas, Guinness etc.

Try tell the 'shop local' gossip to the 100 Sligo Cars parked in Asda Enniskillen earlier today. You're wasting your time. Family owned businesses are the most expensive for groceries and merchandisse. That is why I stopped buying from them and have no intention of reversing my decision to do so. I buy from big giants like Asda because its 29% more for groceries down here. They are cheaper and that works fine for most people, regardless of what retailers down here think or believe.

rabsmith2 wrote: »
    Supporting the local family run business is fine, but what happens when u meet the shopowner in front of u in asdas checkout!!

I find it ironic that last year, the 'shop local' brigade got their leaflets printed in Newry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rabsmith2

I am afraid when it comes to profit they do not practice what they preach. In the current climate it is dog eat dog. I have to make the euro go as far as it can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

**deleted for insulting another member**

This thread is for informing others about stores that are closing. It's not for debating the evils of shopping up North, and it's most certainly not for insulting other members.
    Fozzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

kjb83 wrote: »
    Well if you do all your shopping local you won't meet the owner up in Asda!

Yeah, and if the country wasn't in a recession we'd all still have jobs, and at the end of the day it always gets dark. Whats your point? cos it doesn't change anything.

I shop in asda for two reasons.
    1) They have a bigger range than is in Sligo. If the chamber of commerce didn't stick its oar in when Tesco's wanted to build a massive store in carraroe, maybe this wouldn't be a reason, as we would have a large store here. So, why should I help the members when they are only interested in self preservation. They did the same with Argos.

2) Cheaper. Nuff said really. Why should I pay more for overpriced stock in Sligo? I have a mortgage and kids to feed. Supporting local jobs isn't exactly on the top of the list of my priorities.

Advertisement