Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Yeah, and if the country wasn't in a recession we'd all still have jobs, and at the end of the day it always gets dark. Whats your point? cos it doesn't change anything.

I shop in asda for two reasons.
    1) They have a bigger range than is in Sligo. If the chamber of commerce didn't stick its oar in when Tesco's wanted to build a massive store in carraroe, maybe this wouldn't be a reason, as we would have a large store here. So, why should I help the members when they are only interested in self preservation. They did the same with Argos.

2) Cheaper. Nuff said really. Why should I pay more for overpriced stock in Sligo? I have a mortgage and kids to feed. Supporting local jobs isn't exactly on the top of the list of my priorities.

Well said mate!!!!
    I agree 1000% with everything you said:mad:

Chamber of Commerce in Sligo = Procrastination, Nepotism and self preservation – Proliferation :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

+1

free parking up there too. friendly staff and properly trained (not the sullen relation of owner). i go where my custom is welcomed, it certainly isnt in sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

this is an awful thing to say [i'm a sligo native] but since i got laid off in 2008 [from my job in sligo] i haven't been back in town very often since, unless i need to do a big all-encompassing shop. i was there yesterday and... it depresses me. the heart and soul seems to have gone from the place. and the few shops i went into... it's like... if you know you're business isn't doing well cause of the recession would you not go the extra mile for the customers you DO have? all i witnessed was surly service, as if i should have been grateful that their still open.... :confused:

and as for the retail park [where i used to work]... is it bad that the state of the place nearly reduced me to tears???? :(

as i said i feel so guilty about saying this as i do try and fly the flag for my home county as much as i can but i think my next shopping trip i'll just be bypassing it altogether and heading north. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

artyeva wrote: »
    this is an awful thing to say [i'm a sligo native] but since i got laid off in 2008 [from my job in sligo] i haven't been back in town very often since, unless i need to do a big all-encompassing shop. i was there yesterday and... it depresses me. the heart and soul seems to have gone from the place. and the few shops i went into... it's like... if you know you're business isn't doing well cause of the recession would you not go the extra mile for the customers you DO have? all i witnessed was surly service, as if i should have been grateful that their still open.... :confused:

and as for the retail park [where i used to work]... is it bad that the state of the place nearly reduced me to tears???? :(

as i said i feel so guilty about saying this as i do try and fly the flag for my home county as much as i can but i think my next shopping trip i'll just be bypassing it altogether and heading north. :o

Don't blame you tbh. The level of service that's given by staff in sligo shops is appalling. Didn't you know, you should be greatful that they're still open. Don't you know how privileged you are to be allowed to spend your pittance in their shops?

I might add this one to the list above. Level of service in the north is infinitely better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The majority of staff in Sligo shops are very rude. There are a few exceptions though, I've had great service in:
    Sligo Glass
    Barton Smith
    Argos (lovely cheerful girl at the till.....I was so shocked to be treated so nicely).
    Petworld (really helpful, friendly staff).

As for the supermarkets Asda wins everytime. The staff are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

magnumlady wrote: »
    Petworld (really helpful, friendly staff)

+1 to this, was in the other day and the girl couldn't have been nicer. Really helpful and friendly.
    Also find the service in Kate's Kitchen excellent, they always go out of their way to help customers, and Koko Latte in the Quayside as well, very friendly and nice.
    It is a shame that the majority of shops in Sligo appear to be lacking in customer service. I could name and shame a few where I had shocking service lately. I've always found the staff in most of the stores I've been in in the North to be lovely and really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I also agree about Argos. Anytime I've been in there, the staff have been really polite and helpful. They must receive proper staff training. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I find every time I go into town, I end up coming out of some store furious.

TK Maxx today. :mad: Craaap customer service.

I agree though Petworld, Sligo Glass and Argos consistently good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

terlywerly wrote: »
    +1 to this, was in the other day and the girl couldn't have been nicer. Really helpful and friendly.
    Also find the service in Kate's Kitchen excellent, they always go out of their way to help customers, and Koko Latte in the Quayside as well, very friendly and nice.
    It is a shame that the majority of shops in Sligo appear to be lacking in customer service. I could name and shame a few where I had shocking service lately. I've always found the staff in most of the stores I've been in in the North to be lovely and really helpful.

Name and shame away......

If some ungrateful prick isn't going to at least give me common courtesy for spending the few bob i have left at the end of the month in his shop, then i wanna know where to avoid, and take my business to someone who at least appreciates it.

Nothing worse than an ungrateful cnut imo, especially these days, its just suicidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

McGuinness's market bar closed for good very sad

• Advertisement

Stevedore wrote: »

aw that's sad. guess the kids didn't want to take it over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

The majority of staff in Sligo shops are very rude. There are a few exceptions though, I've had great service in:
    Sligo Glass
    Barton Smith
    Argos (lovely cheerful girl at the till.....I was so shocked to be treated so nicely).
    Petworld (really helpful, friendly staff).

As for the supermarkets Asda wins everytime. The staff are fantastic.

*cries* Just 'cos I punch you in the face when you come into my shop....

I've always had good service in Call of the Wild, Koko Latte, Cordners, Pulse and Ophelia (the lingerie shop in Lyons'). I don't seem to have as many bad experiences as a customer as a lot of people. Even in Penny's I get smiles and always get help when I ask for it. Maybe ye should try smiling to the staff when you talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Stevedore wrote: »

Time for retirement for them 'twas,not down to the recession.

fozzle wrote: »
    I've always had good service in Call of the Wild, Koko Latte, Cordners, Pulse and Ophelia (the lingerie shop in Lyons').
    Yes, I'd forgotten about Ophelia, they are so nice in there, especially when you're an awkward size like me.
    Call of the Wild is hit and miss I find. There's a woman who works in there thats lovely, but the guys aren't all that friendly. There used to be a guy who worked in it when it was down at the opticians and he was lovely but I don't think he works there anymore. He was always very helpful

Yes, I'd forgotten about Ophelia, they are so nice in there, especially when you're an awkward size like me.
    Call of the Wild is hit and miss I find. There's a woman who works in there thats lovely, but the guys aren't all that friendly. There used to be a guy who worked in it when it was down at the opticians and he was lovely but I don't think he works there anymore. He was always very helpful
    terlywerly,where have you had the bad customer service as mentioned in an older post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

*cries* Just 'cos I punch you in the face when you come into my shop....

I've always had good service in Call of the Wild, Koko Latte, Cordners, Pulse and Ophelia (the lingerie shop in Lyons'). I don't seem to have as many bad experiences as a customer as a lot of people. Even in Penny's I get smiles and always get help when I ask for it. Maybe ye should try smiling to the staff when you talk to them.

It goes without saying pet :D
    Oh yes Koko Latte and Kates Kitchen are good as well.
    Penney's can be nice (when they aren't talking to their mates)

It goes without saying pet :D
    Oh yes Koko Latte and Kates Kitchen are good as well.
    Penney's can be nice (when they aren't talking to their mates)

Lol,I know a few people who work in Peneny's,and it seems to be a social centre,but the staff are friendly and helpful.

Maybe ye should try smiling to the staff when you talk to them.

wow. that's a very patronising thing to say to a group of adults :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I went into Cordners and was pricing an expensive pair of work boots.

I asked the girl who was serving me was there any sale or discount and as it happens the owner who's name escapes me was passing. She addressed him as Mr. xxxx is there any type of.. he cut her off right there and said no before walking off.

I thanked her for her time, told her I pitied her for having to work for a pompous ass like that and bought them on line for €30 less delivered to my door

greetings wrote: »
    terlywerly,where have you had the bad customer service as mentioned in an older post?
    Funnily enough Cordners was one of the places!
    Also, terrible customer service in that clothes shop opposite Elvery's in Johnstons Court (name escapes me). I was only in the door and I was being harassed by the staff, asking me did I want anything. I did. I wanted to look around in peace. Needless to say I left, I was disgusted. I know times are hard and all but let people have a look around before you hop on them.
    Another place bad for that is H Samuel, they're desperate for pouncing on you the minute you walk in the door, the manager especially. I don't go in there anymore. So there's another one.
    And the most recent place where I was majorly let down (well it was the OH actually) was in that Brooks place down Finisklin road. The rudeness my OH encountered in there was unbelievable, and then they say they'll deliver stock up on a Thursday evening and it still hasn't arrived by the Tuesday :rolleyes:
    Now don't get me wrong, I quite like Sligo, but its a pity some of the shops can be so bad in terms of customer service when others can be so so good. I guess everyone/everywhere is different. And apologies to anyone I offended if you work in any of the shops I mentioned, its just the experience I had there personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

artyeva wrote: »
    wow. that's a very patronising thing to say to a group of adults :eek:

Apologies, it really wasn't intended as an insult or to be patronising. But in my experience smiling at staff gets a smile in response, and 4 years of retail work in Sligo has taught me that the vast majority of people who complain (in my shop and in other shops while I've been a customer listening in) have been people who made no attempt themselves to be polite or pleasant to the staff. Obviously it's not always the case, I know shop staff are just as liable to be pricks as customers, but my point is that it goes both ways.

Apologies, it really wasn't intended as an insult or to be patronising. But in my experience smiling at staff gets a smile in response, and 4 years of retail work in Sligo has taught me that the vast majority of people who complain (in my shop and in other shops while I've been a customer listening in) have been people who made no attempt themselves to be polite or pleasant to the staff. Obviously it's not always the case, I know shop staff are just as liable to be pricks as customers, but my point is that it goes both ways.

Totally true,you can tell as soon as a customer walks in the door whether they are friendly or a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I was only in the door and I was being harassed by the staff, asking me did I want anything.

Oh good God, that's terrible!
    Did you report them? :D

I'm only jibing terlyerly, I know exactly what you mean with pushy staff, but the poor divils are probably on pittance an hour and commission. That place is only waiting to close. I have never seen more than two people in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Is Area 54 closing?

I was quickly going through the Quayside recently and thought I saw that wrote on the window.

The Cyber cafe in Quayside is closed, funny I was there earlier this year and it seemed to be busyish but then again I hadn't been there for ages before that.

That's a pity, I've used that place on a few occasions and found it to be very well run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

CSC wrote: »
    Is Area 54 closing?

I was quickly going through the Quayside recently and thought I saw that wrote on the window.

Yes it is

Culchie wrote: »
    Yes it is

Do you know when by any chance as I'll try to call in before it does.

Culchie wrote: »
    In fairness everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you then back it up with incorrect assertions, it does nothing for your case.

I don't know which individual estates you are on about ... but the GWI estate has Signs Express, Avenue Mould, Walkers Crisps, Callaghan Forklifts (ex Changing Rooms part section), Palatine Transport, the Court Service, RSS Data Storage, Sligo Kitchen Centre, Sligo Freeze Chill, Arramount Furniture and 2 more on the way.

Northwest Park has Ocean FM, PMMS, Komandor, Nordex Energy, DMac, Orbicon, Tilesavers, I-Think technology and the Headquarters of Gulf Oil, (a fastly expanding oil company)....and at least 3 more on the way.

Toberbride has Guinness, CSS Catering, CK Monumentals, Funny Bones ATS Automation and Fenton Fires with future builds in the pipeline.

So, none of the estates are empty and none of the estates has only one tenant.

Sligo Motorbike Centre - heard couple of different things regarding this....including opening up on Bundoran Rd again. Don't think that unit will be vacant too long anyway from what I can see.

I think your assessment of Collooney as a commercial area will be proved wrong, only time will tell....but if you have to argue your point of view, back it up with something concrete.

Add Connacht Special Olympics HQ, CMD Training Institute and Midway Commercials now .... they were the businesses i was referring to a couple of months ago.

Do you know when by any chance as I'll try to call in before it does.

Sorry, no idea, but most rents go on a monthly basis so a guess would be end of the month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

Is Area 54 closing?

You should check with some of the staff if and when they are closing - they had closing down signs up before Christmas too. Sometimes it draws people in looking for a bargain. When I asked in December when they were closing, the fella said he wasn't sure because they might be coming to an agreement in a rent reduction so they might be able to stay open.

Advertisement