Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seanogwalsh

Anyone know if it's true that Four Lights is being closed? Any truth to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know if it's true that Four Lights is being closed? Any truth to this?
    They issued a message on their Facebook stating it wasn't true.. just a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Probably just getting 4 energy efficient bulbs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

In town earlier and Carl Scarpa on O'Connell St. is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    In town earlier and Carl Scarpa on O'Connell St. is gone.

Feck, oconnell st is gonna be lovely in six months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Basq wrote: »
    They issued a message on their Facebook stating it wasn't true.. just a rumour.

Not moving either. That rumor was also quashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

I know for a fact that Carl Scarpa isn't gone, there is a leak coming from the upstairs restaurant and they've had to close to get place fixed up, they are facing court as far as I heard because the restaurant is failing to accept responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

bazmc35 wrote: »
    I know for a fact that Carl Scarpa isn't gone, there is a leak coming from the upstairs restaurant and they've had to close to get place fixed up, they are facing court as far as I heard because the restaurant is failing to accept responsibility.

Note on the window said that they were having problems with water.

Was passing by tonight Sunday 15 Jan and I noticed the sign was taken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Has the cafe beside paddypower on High Street closed? Seen a sign in the window today 'Closing at 2pm today, wishing all our customers a happy xmas and new year', or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

irish-stew wrote: »
    Has the cafe beside paddypower on High Street closed? Seen a sign in the window today 'Closing at 2pm today, wishing all our customers a happy xmas and new year', or something like that.
    Yeah they went out of business. Christmas Eve I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was going through town this morning and noticed that Tommy Hilfiger have posters up on the window stating there is a closing down sale.

If you ask me, it's no major loss to the town. Never went into the place myself, way overpriced. Pity about the loss of more jobs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was going through town this morning and noticed that Tommy Hilfiger have posters up on the window stating there is a closing down sale.

If you ask me, it's no major loss to the town. Never went into the place myself, way overpriced. Pity about the loss of more jobs though.

The Sligo Champion printed an old photo last week of Glenda Gilson officially opening the store as some kind of promotion for Johnston Court..... they probably should've done their homework first :rolleyes:

Its not just Johnstons Court, its another on O'Connell Street gone too.
    O'Connell Street looks awful :( and its only getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Looks awful with the Bistro boarded up

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

According to the Champion, the guys who own the lease for Tommy Hilfiger are hoping to re-open the store as something else. He acknowledged that their stock was a bit expensive ("opening when the recession started was a bad idea")

Realistically though, was tommy hilfiger in sligo ever going to last?
    Sligo isnt big enough imo.

I would wear tommy and all, but you you only shop there once every few months.

Hopefully whatever goes in will be a success.
    Hate seeing all these empty units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

but you you only shop there once every few months.

Every few months? Once a year more like it, and that's a treat.

I don't think the fact it opened in Sligo was the problem, peoples buying habits changed when money became tighter and bought from the Hilfiger shop less and less.

I don't think the fact it opened in Sligo was the problem, peoples buying habits changed when money became tighter and bought from the Hilfiger shop less and less.

Well yeah, once a year is more accurate.
    I think this would be true for most people.
    So taking this into account, does Sligo have the foot fall for a shop like that to survive, i dont think so. As you alluded to, certainly not these days anyway.

Hopefully what goes in wont be the complete opposite end of the scale now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

And when you did buy there it was in the sales. For the price of the stock, its no better quality than any other high street store, and people noticed this. I don't really think it was much of an addition to Sligo, but it is awful, all these empty units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Snug pub closed Wednesday
    Outerpoint Surf Shop also closed this week
    Needles and Threads, the shop with the funky T-shirts near Robertos is gone recently too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 enquiry.need

O Connell street is looking more and more derelict by the day. Its a shame as it has huge potential. Another euro store will probably open in where Tommy was. They seem to be popping up everywhere these days

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

O Connell street is looking more and more derelict by the day. Its a shame as it has huge potential. Another euro store will probably open in where Tommy was. They seem to be popping up everywhere these days
    The lease-holder (manager of Tommy Hilfiger) has said he's opening another clothes shop, but not as exclusive ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Has the Jump Juice Bar in Johnston Court closed down? I went in last week and it was closed, was in today and noticed the cash register was taken away. I haven't heard anything about them closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Reidys Bistro has closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Reidys Bistro has closed.

Aw no! When?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

The sweet shop on Grattan st is closing at the end of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Yankee Candle is closing. Also the Vera Moda shop has closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

magnumlady wrote: »
    Yankee Candle is closing.
    That store lasted about as long as the candles they sell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Basq wrote: »
    That store lasted about as long as the candles they sell..

All half price at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Think Yankee Candle only opened for the Xmas market. Wonder if the one in Enniskillen was the same.

The sweet shop on Castle St. is now closed completely.

Advertisement