Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bad form not accepting vouchers, especially so close after Christmas. I'm sure there are thousands of people with HMV vouchers nationwide
    Yep, myself included..

.. as I've said elsewhere, I can't help but feel sorry for the staff who have to contend with both possibly losing their jobs and having to tell customers that vouchers they bought 2 - 3 weeks ago are now worthless.

I mean they were selling vouchers up until close of business yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

What reason are they giving for not accepting gift vouchers, surely if they are still open and making sales then they should be made to honour the commitments they made up until 6pm yesterday. That is disgusting if that is what they are at. I know I wouldn't stand for it if I had a gift voucher. They are keeping customers money who bought them in good faith and now won't honor them when customers have the chance to use them? Very bad form.

What reason are they giving for not accepting gift vouchers, surely if they are still open and making sales then they should be made to honour the commitments they made up until 6pm yesterday.
    MSE has a good write-up on it:
    When a company is in administration, it no longer exists in its previous form. So legally, it does not have to fulfil its promises.

A gift card is simply a promise it will let you spend a certain amount in its store or on its website. So under insolvency law, it is up to the administrator whether to accept vouchers.

The administrator's job is to try to squeeze every last penny out of a company to pay those who are owed money. Often creditors only get a small percentage, if anything of what's owed.
    Put simply, they're no obligation to accept vouchers once put in administration.

If you bought with a credit card / debit card, request a charge back for up to €100.. but there's not much else you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lad I know works in there and the first he knew of it was on the news this morning.

I feel really sorry for the staff, they're going to get some bollocking in the next few weeks and it's not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I have 35+5 of vouchers:( Just didnt find what i was looking for and now it is too late.

Shop is already closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

loki7777 wrote: »
    I have 35+5 of vouchers:( Just didnt find what i was looking for and now it is too late.

Shop is already closed.

Did they not say that this closure is temporary though, on the news, across irish stores, anyway.

Did they not say that this closure is temporary though, on the news, across irish stores, anyway.
    They're gone into recievership in Ireland now, and will stay closed for the moment.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0116/hmv-vouchers.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Basq wrote: »
    They're gone into recievership in Ireland now, and will stay closed for the moment.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0116/hmv-vouchers.html

Yeap. Looking at the signs in the window, does not appear that they are going to reopen any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The sweet shop and Bongo in The Quayside have both closed.

magnumlady wrote: »
    The sweet shop and Bongo in The Quayside have both closed.

The old fashioned sweet shop? All these empty units and closing down sale signs are v v depressing.

• Advertisement

HMV appear to be gone for good..

... Grafton Street announced it via Twitter and Limerick are having a sit-in since they're not getting redundancy or being paid for the months of December and January.

Not good! :(

The old fashioned sweet shop? All these empty units and closing down sale signs are v v depressing.

Yes, although I think some of the sweets will be available in the cafe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

... Grafton Street announced it via Twitter and Limerick are having a sit-in since they're not getting redundancy or being paid for the months of December and January.

That really sucks for the staff. They probably had to deal with enough shíte over the past couple of days as well and they won't even see a cent of pay for it.

This disgusts me no end... not being paid for hard, honest graft while the higher levels of admin will get their severance packages. No job and no wages to show for the 2 months work, absolutely no excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

they're not getting redundancy or being paid for the months of December and January.

Cycnical bástards probably squeezed every last drop of sweat from staff before doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Cash Encounters, the cash for gold, semi-pawn shop place on Castle St (beside the Post Office) seems closed. Shutters down, windows emptied, shop seems to be empty also. Did anyone ever see any customers in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

thats no harm if they are gone,not gone on these sort of cash for gold places,the bring the tone down

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Cash Encounters, the cash for gold, semi-pawn shop place on Castle St (beside the Post Office) seems closed. Shutters down, windows emptied, shop seems to be empty also. Did anyone ever see any customers in there?

I've seen it looking like that before and they've opened since. They seem to take the things out of the window when they're closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

They are not open whole week - only few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Bistro Bianconi on High St closed today

• Advertisement

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Bistro Bianconi on High St closed today
    Is this confirmed? I'm in shock. How did you hear?

Yep, heard that from people too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Word of mouth is that Pamela Scott in Johnstons Court will be closing. They're shutting all but two of their shops in the country apparently.

Oh god, upper High Street is so barren as it is, very depressing to walk down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

I assume the Bistro will be doing all their take-aways from the restaurant on Tobergal Lane then? It will be a pain to get parking to run in for a take-away.. But I realise that's just a tiny niggle for me compared to how the High Street staff must be feeling today if they've been let go.. and they were always such lovely staff too.. What a shame :(

Johnston's Court will be derelict before long with HMV closing, The Jean Scene/Josef next door gone and Pamela Scott gone in a few weeks! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

A few people told me, one said there was a note on the door thanking customers.

It was open over the weekend.

There's a soup kitchen opened beside it now.

SligoLady wrote: »
    I assume the Bistro will be doing all their take-aways from the restaurant on Tobergal Lane then? It will be a pain to get parking to run in for a take-away.. But I realise that's just a tiny niggle for me compared to how the High Street staff must be feeling today if they've been let go.. and they were always such lovely staff too.. What a shame :(

Johnston's Court will be derelict before long with HMV closing, The Jean Scene/Josef next door gone and Pamela Scott gone in a few weeks! :eek:

Some of the staff were lovely, others not so. I've had a few bad experiences with rude staff there before, they are nothing compared to the staff in the old o'connell street/current tobergnal lane restaurant, you would think they were two different places altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only got food in there on Friday

:eek:

Seen nothing about it closing. Wonder will the Tobergail lane Restaurant continue the home deliveries.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    A few people told me, one said there was a note on the door thanking customers.

It was open over the weekend.

There's a soup kitchen opened beside it now.

Another soup kitchen? There's one just opened in Quay Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

TheQ47 wrote: »

I thought it looked closed down the other day too but passed it yesterday and it was very much open so magnumlady's right, they must just take everything out of the window when they close it for a while.

Advertisement