Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Could they not have at least offered to order one in from another shop for you?

That's how Carl Scarpa used to operate when they ran out of a shoe size. Great buisness idea if ya ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks like Xtra-Vision has closed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Basq wrote: »

They were open today but had a sign saying they were closing...hope they aren't gone already.

The Beauty Retreat has just re-located to Dromahair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I'm going round a few shops today in quayside since its open Sundays hopefully ill have better luck. It must be so hard for all these people losing their jobs because where can you get a new one when everything is closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Basq wrote: »

I worked here the summer after my Leaving Cert :'(

I could see it coming though, increasingly poor selection of blockbuster movies that most people into those sorts of films would have downloaded anyway. Like HMV, it's a shame for the people who worked there, and especially those genuinely interested in movies. I was entitled to rent out 5 free films a week as a member of staff.

• Advertisement

HMV looks to be re-opening some of its stores after some serious talks, though only Cork, Galway and Dublin were mentioned :( Which is a huge pity because Sligo has a poor selection for DVDs. The same company that bought out HMV did so with Xtravision, so fingers crossed it may re-open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

Staff at Xtra Vision were told last Tuesday that they are closing.

I thought HILCO (they saved HMV) bought out all the Xtravision stores,wonder why they are closing.They had a big sale in the Sligo branch yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just disovered today that BOTH autofactors on JFK Parade are closed.

:eek: :(

Although did find one just off Ballast Quay, not sure how long there though.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

irish-stew wrote: »

Shame to hear about the autofactors in JFK.

Top Part in Ballast Key have been there a while now. Reasonably priced too especially when you compare them to Halfords!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

irish-stew wrote: »

At least one of those was in the area prior to those buildings being built. A very long established company.

A pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

They were both taken over by a Dublin Co. and merged as one business a couple of years ago, but thats now closed.
    I find Carraroe Auto Supplies (out past Molly Fultons) very helpful and efficient. They don't mind dealing with a diyer who does'nt always know what he's looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Did Xtra-Vision close yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

No, I was in there yesterday, it's staying open for another month or so at least I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

red sean wrote: »

I think the Sligo store is safe. RTE news states that they're looking to close three stores, Castlebar, Fonthill and one other I can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I heard Pizza Hut are closing on July 24th.
    In the Stores Opening or Reopening thread I see Costa Coffee are opening at the retail park by the same person who has Pizza Hut. Maybe Pizza Hut will be the new premises for Costa

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I think the Sligo store is safe. RTE news states that they're looking to close three stores, Castlebar, Fonthill and one other I can't remember.

I believe the store is indeed safe for now but unless rent and rates can be negotiated with the landlords, it's not looking great being honest.

There was a time, maybe just over 2 years ago that the only reason they were still open was because of the lease agreements. Has being making a loss for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Pizza Hut is closing down tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

No - sorry to see it go!!
    Kids really liked it more than
    me:rolleyes:
    :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I heard Pizza Hut are closing on July 24th.
    In the Stores Opening or Reopening thread I see Costa Coffee are opening at the retail park by the same person who has Pizza Hut. Maybe Pizza Hut will be the new premises for Costa

Would be a pretty big Costa. Would not be better using it for a couple of different cafes/restrarants/takeaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Would be a pretty big Costa. Would not be better using it for a couple of different cafes/restrarants/takeaways.

Same thing happened in Little Island down in Cork a while back, PH cleared out and Costa went straight into the unit, it's actually one of the nicer Costas I've been in, imagine the Sligo setup will be similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That retail park is dead. If Costa open there its a massive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Personally I think customer service was the big problem here. Looking at the reports, 9 jobs have been lost which is sad. But to have a restaurant of its size open around 12 hours per day for 7 days a week having just 9 staff is crazy. They were either on double shifts (at which stage a person would get burned out and not care anymore) or everyone did everyjob in the place from cleaning to cooking to table service.

I was up at the lunchtime buffet a couple of times but if there was more than 4 or 5 tables full it was a waste of time, plenty of salads out but only 3 or 4 pizzas out for an "all you can eat" for about 20 people. When they were running out there'd be a call to bake a new one but a 10 minute wait would ensue. They got their supply and demand wrong often but maybe that was only the times I was there.

I think if it re-opened (got re-franchised) in a central location and kept small (15-20 tables), it would be a gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Yep, managers were cleaners and does who were working in the kitchen before - were working over there just to let ppl go home and save some money. Sad but true - i was working there for a while as well so i know how it was.

The veg shop on Abbey Street is closing shortly. Notice on the door but couldn't read any details

EDIT: Saw the notice on the door. Only closing until September 1st. Couldn't read anymore as it was from a distance and was driving past

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sgds

I heard that a few more shops closed in town last week (1) SOURCE on corner of O Connell st, (2) the sweet shop opposite cinema on the corner to wine st car park (3) a coffee shop/ restaurant on the town hall side entrance to Quayside & (4) the party shop on wine street.
    Anyone hear about these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

sgds wrote: »
    I heard that a few more shops closed in town last week (1) SOURCE on corner of O Connell st, (2) the sweet shop opposite cinema on the corner to wine st car park (3) a coffee shop/ restaurant on the town hall side entrance to Quayside & (4) the party shop on wine street.
    Anyone hear about these?

1) Yes SOURCE went very quickly, don't know what happened there, seemed to be fine one minute and gone the next. Really terrible, it wasn't a haunt of mine but I knew many that liked it and to go out on Saturday night and see it in darkness was awful, it was a great anchor for the O'Connell Street area, looked really well.

2) Sweet shop opposite the cinema is gone, saw them taking out all the units etc a couple of weeks ago.

3) The coffee shop - Cafe De Paris I think is gone alright, TBH I'm surprised it lasted that long, it was always empty.

4) Didn't hear/notice about the party shop on Wine Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is the Silver Apple gone? Heard it was.

Advertisement