Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Yes The Book Mart, and it's great, go there all the time! Lots of variety & a lovely little shop :)

I'd be bereft if it closed!

Great, thanks. I haven't been up that way in ages so I thought maybe it was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It was still there during the Fleadh. I haven't been up that way since.

Edit. Sorry. I typed that before I saw the other reply.

Xtravision planning on closing 28 stores in January according to Newstalk. Hope the Sligo one isn't on the list, I will miss the HMV section if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Xtravision planning on closing 28 stores in January according to Newstalk. Hope the Sligo one isn't on the list, I will miss the HMV section if it is.

That will be a nice start to the new year for some! <tongue in cheek comment> :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I wonder what stores are on the list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

I find the HMV section very poor. The labelling system baffles me, some artists are put by first name others by surname. If a band has The first they are in the T section but you could find them anywhere because they don't seem to reorganise misplaced discs very often. If you know what you want it is easier to ask at desk as they have to go get the disc in the back!

I wouldn't like to see it close though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Staff in sligo have been told to start looking for new jobs. If they get something not to even bother fulfilling contract period of notice. Just leave the next day. Closes end of january. Staff there over two years are getting some compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Really? That's such a pity. That new rental pass was great value for money. I'll be sorry to see them close.
    I hope Video City lasts!
    FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Staff in sligo have been told to start looking for new jobs. If they get something not to even bother fulfilling cobtract period of notice. Just leave the next day. Closes end of january. Staff there over two years are getting some compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Staff in sligo have been told to start looking for new jobs. If they get something not to even bother fulfilling contract period of notice. Just leave the next day. Closes end of january. Staff there over two years are getting some compensation.

Statutory redundancy more than likely

You'd think they would leave the HMV bit at least !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I walked down OCS on a Sat at 9:45am, hardly anybody on the street.

And yet the owner of the Source building is looking for 200k pa in rent.

That's 16,667 pm or 3,846 pw.

My key point is this: not enough attention is paid to the massive detrimental effects that excessive commercial rents are having on retail and business in Irish towns.

The landlords are either delusional, greedy or foolish, I don't know which, but they are contributing to the lack of commercial activity.

In my opinion, some commercial rents should fall by up to 90%. Yes, I repeat 90%.

Example: Quinn's pub in Drumcondra, 30,000 pm, should be 3,000 pm, still plenty.

Another example: Cavanagh's pub on OCS - lying idle for years.

One solution: instead of council rates halving or dropping to zero if the property is empty, the rates should remain, or even increase.

Did you feel that point was so good you needed to make it twice on two separate threads or something?

Did you feel that point was so good you needed to make it twice on two separate threads or something?

Yes, indeed, I should have posted it in more threads outside this forum.

Not enough attention is paid to the way high commercial rents:
    • squeeze businesses
    • hurt employment
    • raise costs
    • raise prices

If you shop in River Island on Grafton street, 28% of your bill goes on rent.

People blame high labour costs, but the real cause of high costs in Ireland is property costs.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, I should have posted it in more threads outside this forum.

Not enough attention is paid to the way high commercial rents:
    • squeeze businesses
    • hurt employment
    • raise costs
    • raise prices

If you shop in River Island on Grafton street, 28% of your bill goes on rent.

People blame high labour costs, but the real cause of high costs in Ireland is property costs.

So spamming your point makes it more valid?

Spam?

But sure high comm rents are directly related to stores closing, which is the topic of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Geuze wrote: »
    Spam?

But sure high comm rents are directly related to stores closing, which is the topic of this thread.

Yes spam, posting the same content across multiple threads is considered spam and is a breach of the site wide rules. Please don"t post it again

Please don't reply to this post on-thread,
    Thanks,
    AJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Hullabaloo in Pearse Road is gone guys, there's a To - let sign and everything is gone out of it! Does anyone know what had happened? It doesn't say on their website nor their Facebook page!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Vlove wrote: »
    Hullabaloo in Pearse Road is gone guys, there's a To - let sign and everything is gone out of it! Does anyone know what had happened? It doesn't say on their website nor their Facebook page!
    You didn't look to hard. Had to search who they were but it's four or five posts down on the fb page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

shanec1928 wrote: »
    You didn't look to hard. Had to search who they were but it's four or five posts down on the fb page

Woops lol! Well i wish good luck to them on their new business "The Craft Basket" in Cliffoney !

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

Just heard that Heatons are more than likely closing after Christmas.......can't believe it :( just in case anyone here has bought vouchers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Just heard that Heatons are more than likely closing after Christmas.......can't believe it :( just in case anyone here has bought vouchers!

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Blimey! They were always busy when I went in.

oh no really, bad times! - always looked busy enough when i went in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Heard from whom-staff doesn't know anything at all.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Heard from whom-staff doesn't know anything at all.

yeah but sure some times even the staff aint even in the loop and are not informed by their own company. the amount of times I hear lately staff turning up for work and they cant get in when a place shuts down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Where did you hear this? Is this just a rumour or is the source credible?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

The source is credible....apparently Sports Direct have a 50% share in the place too, there was a major court case back in November this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The source is credible....apparently Sports Direct have a 50% share in the place too, there was a major court case back in November this year.

Are we relying on the Lionel Hutz "Hearsay and conjecture are types of evidence" approach to posting here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Don't see anything about closing heatons just about buying shares.

Advertisement