Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Maybe if everyone is so miserable in Sligo you could all leave? It's not perfect but certainly not as horrific as everyone here makes it out to be.

Because upping and leaving is that easy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Maybe if everyone is so miserable in Sligo you could all leave? It's not perfect but certainly not as horrific as everyone here makes it out to be.

if we leave then even more shops will shut down in sligo - its us who live in Sligo who are keeping em open LOL :-)

Why would anyone from other nearby towns with better selection of shops and shopping centres and better parking/cheaper parking, better roads in and out of town centre, big name well known eating establishments in the town centre and other attractions and cleaner more modernised pedestrianised streets want to travel to come to sligo to do their shopping when other Towns have moved with the times?

Maybe if they feel Marty McFly'ish and fancy going back to the 90's it might appeal to em lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sligo's not the worst. I can zoom in the dual carriageway, A visit to Little Britain (Carrarow) if I have to, then down Pearse Rd, turn right and I have Argos, Lidl, Aldi and Dunnes. Do a U turn and I'm back on the dual carriageway home. I know that's no good if you live around town without a car but that's the way it goes.

What do people think to Ballina as a Town? I think on the whole I prefer shopping Ballina to Sligo sorry to say, Nice big 2 storey penney's, Supermac (actually in town), Better parking and more reasonable parking charges, even better Tesco store than Sligo, Dunnes not too bad, all in walking distance when you've parked up in the town - and whereas Sligo looks like its becoming a ghost town with so many places closing/closed down Ballina seems to (or appears to) have less closed shops and empty units to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

What do people think to Ballina as a Town? I think on the whole I prefer shopping Ballina to Sligo sorry to say, Nice big 2 storey penney's, Supermac (actually in town), Better parking and more reasonable parking charges, even better Tesco store than Sligo, Dunnes not too bad, all in walking distance when you've parked up in the town - and whereas Sligo looks like its becoming a ghost town with so many places closing/closed down Ballina seems to (or appears to) have less closed shops and empty units to me.

Most of the Third World has a better Tesco than that abomination in Sligo.

Its not even just a shambles with its archaic layout, the place si filthy. Next time you decide not to use the 3 out of 8 working self service machines with the queue blocking access to the aisles, use the normal checkout and have a look at how grimy the place is, its not been cleaned since its been opened, filthy tramps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Its not even just a shambles with its archaic layout, the place si filthy. Next time you decide not to use the 3 out of 8 working self service machines with the queue blocking access to the aisles, use the normal checkout and have a look at how grimy the place is, its not been cleaned since its been opened, filthy tramps.

They haven't put a cent into that place in years, so you would assume they don't intend to keep the store there. One scenario is they leave Sligo, another is they relocate to Cleveragh/Cranmore Road.

I went shopping in that abyss a few days before Christmas and was dying for a pee... I tried to put it off as much as i could but rather than risk "can a member of staff make their way with a mop and bucket , there is a puddle in the Biscuit Aisle" I thought I better try and face their 'public' Toilets in there - thought it was gonna be grim, and how right I was - to be honest the stench and the grime of it I am lucky I didnt end up with a present of cholera over christmas - disgusting filthy place so it is - theres nothing going for that store - if there is no chance of us getting a new Tesco store for Sligo , they should shut the whole store/arcade down for a week or 2, Gut it out totally so you have one big space, then open the whole lot up as a big'ish tesco store

EDIT: I'd take out the whole of the upper floor (lower floor ceiling) so you could just have everything on one level (no upstairs at all) so in store all you would see is the roof and then have those big industrial lights hanging down (like they have up in the homebase store) - o'hehirs cafe or another cafe can have a corner somewhere built into the store. The other shops in the arcade can go setup somewhere else on o'connell street to make way for more space for Tesco. It would mean a decent size Tesco store with more floor space, Higher ceilings, no upstairs- everything on Lower ground level, still in same spot, still maintains its car park, must be cheaper because nothing (like stock/food) would have to be moved up to another location in town or out of town. To me it sounds like win/win everyone happy, rather than wait for 9th of never for a new Tesco superstore to be built!

I don't think it was mentioned but apparently the former Subway/Big Apple closed its doors on Xmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

maryishere wrote: »
    There is plenty of room on brown field sites close to the town centre / inner relief road. There are plenty of sites for large anchor stores / supermarkets within walking distance of the town centre, and where large car parks could be developed too. There is a disused timber yard for example, just off the inner relief road and yet within 5 minutes walk of the town centre. There are lots of other brown field sites even closer to the town centre. As someone else said, there "is a firm plan of what to do with the Sligo town centre (Tesco/Pennys/Dunnes + car park). It include lots of new shopping, apartments and a multi-storey car park just off the mid-block dual carriage way." More parking, and cheaper parking, would help the town centre a lot.

+1. Well said.

Sligo springs to mind the most because I cannot think of any other small town which has allowed so many out of town developments which are so far away / not within walking distance in hard to find places. Try describing how to find any , or get to any, to a visitor or tourist. For example, someone who arrives at the bus or train station. Send them in a taxi!

I would agree on the former Hanleys timber yards.who actually owns them,I was told hey were actually owned the the harbour board.could any shed any light?but a redevelopment of that area would be ideal fast access on to the min road and yet a walk from the town.
    But you also have to question he whole quayside shopping centre and apartments along with the butter market apartments which of such poor design and build quality.
    That's a centre town development that in my oppinion is a huge failure.quay street have another few brown sites owned by greedy men.

Ultimately Sligo is controlled by a few men with zero vision only their own pockets and will stop others trying to get forward.
    Reason our Main Street is full of closed up units partly down to chronic rents and rates.out of town retail then becomes the cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Don't know if it was mentioned but XtraVision beside quayside is closing. It was inevitable really the DVD/CD trade is dead and has long been replaced by streaming and on demand. Never understood how XtraVision didn't see the writing on the wall and move into streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I have to be honest I don't really understand why there're closing. I was a regular user of their rental passes which offered fantastic value for rentals....generally working out at about a €1per DVD.Also whenever I was in the shop it was always very busy and always had to queue when getting served. It's a real shame it's going.
    Don't know if it was mentioned but XtraVision beside quayside is closing. It was inevitable really the DVD/CD trade is dead and has long been replaced by streaming and on demand. Never understood how XtraVision didn't see the writing on the wall and move into streaming.

johnire wrote: »
    I have to be honest I don't really understand why there're closing. I was a regular user of their rental passes which offered fantastic value for rentals....generally working out at about a €1per DVD.Also whenever I was in the shop it was always very busy and always had to queue when getting served. It's a real shame it's going.

€1 is expensive to watch old movies in Standard Definition when you are competing with the likes of 4K content streamed online, or even free content for those using PopcornTime/Stremio or those who still use torrents.

Renting some dvds at €1 is not going to be enough to pay the bills Im afraid. Its an unsustainable outdated way to watch media content.

As an example, I could open up Popcorn Time and watch movies in HD which have only just come out recently in the cinema and not pay a cent for it. I would be watching it before there is even enough time to open the garage door and I would still have to drive the 15 minutes to the nearest store to then, as you say, wait in a queue and then watch something that has been available on popcorn time for free for months and then worst of all, I have to actually get in my car and bring it back to the store when Im done with it. Stone age stuff that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I don't think it was mentioned but apparently the former Subway/Big Apple closed its doors on Xmas Eve.

that's a shame, they didn't last long after the subway franchise went. the new place was offering pretty much exactly the same food as subway. i guess visitors wouldn't recognize it the way they would a subway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Only one problem....all of that is illegal?
    €1 is expensive to watch old movies in Standard Definition when you are competing with the likes of 4K content streamed online, or even free content for those using PopcornTime/Stremio or those who still use torrents.

Renting some dvds at €1 is not going to be enough to pay the bills Im afraid. Its an unsustainable outdated way to watch media content.

As an example, I could open up Popcorn Time and watch movies in HD which have only just come out recently in the cinema and not pay a cent for it. I would be watching it before there is even enough time to open the garage door and I would still have to drive the 15 minutes to the nearest store to then, as you say, wait in a queue and then watch something that has been available on popcorn time for free for months and then worst of all, I have to actually get in my car and bring it back to the store when Im done with it. Stone age stuff that.

johnire wrote: »
    Only one problem....all of that is illegal?

No it is not. Streaming is not illegal as it does not store a copy. Check out the latest information and court ruling for yourself.

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-63934-Watching-Pirated-Streams-Is-Legal-Rules-EU-Court.html

This most likely will change as we are always having laws changed to protect the rich and ensure they get richer.

There are plenty of other paid for streaming services which are way better than any bricks and mortar nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

maryishere wrote: »
    Sligo springs to mind the most because I cannot think of any other small town which has allowed so many out of town developments which are so far away / not within walking distance in hard to find places. Try describing how to find any, or get to any, to a visitor or tourist. For example, someone who arrives at the bus or train station. Send them in a taxi!

I work on the Tesco side of the town. Whenever anyone asks me how to get to Argos/Aldi/etc., I end up drawing them a map. Trying to explain the one-way system without it is a nightmare.

Heard from someone working in Lidl that they've bought Hanly's timber yard. Can't see them moving from where they are so I'd assume they're opening a depot or something along that line. On a personal note, it'll take away half the available free parking spaces I currently fight for every morning lol

The one way system is difficult for locals, it seems to have been designed to make journeys more difficult. Why for example is there no left turn from Kennedy Parade on to Thomas Street, even though there is a traffic signal on the junction, making a journey from Kennedy Parade to Castle Street a mile instead of 50 yards. If you double journeys, you double traffic. People would rather use canoes to shop in Carrick than endure the torments of the Sligo one way system which passeth all understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cross Sections is closing down too I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Basq wrote: »

Sad to hear that, they've been there for years. Do you know when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That's a pity. I always liked a browse around there. A bit expensive but top equality stuff. I wonder are they having a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

I thought stock was a bit low when I was in the other day. I just assumed they had a good Chrimbo and hadn't restocked yet.

Shame!

That's a shame been there for years that place , lovely smell as you went inside the door (candles and other stuff) - I wonder who were their strongest competitor (if it is the case they are shutting down because of competition)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Heard before Xmas that Homestore had taken a big effect on it.

red sean wrote: »
    Heard before Xmas that Homestore had taken a big effect on it.

ah right yes - similar kind of thing and more and a big store as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Sure homestore had to remove all the kitchen stuff. Strange they close now when business should have been on the up, but I suppose only he knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Turns out people aren't too interested in paying €20 for a can opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Would make a great coffee shop ;P

Would make a great coffee shop ;P

Ah yeah, i dont think there are enough coffee shops and cafe's in Sligo at the moment :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Ah yeah, i dont think there are enough coffee shops and cafe's in Sligo at the moment :rolleyes: :D

Apparently a few more pups are going to close soon and there will be more coffee shops. Does this mean that Sligo will be the only “City” to have a 12 Coffee shops instead of 12 pubs at Christmas??

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    Apparently a few more pups are going to close soon and there will be more coffee shops. Does this mean that Sligo will be the only “City” to have a 12 Coffee shops instead of 12 pubs at Christmas??

You imagine doing 12 coffee crawls - youd be bouncing off all the walls and ceilings with all that caffeine! :eek: - plus seen what some of em are charging for a cup/mug of coffee these days in Sligo ... nearly cost as much as a pint soon!

Advertisement