Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Not so much a store, but there used to be a car wash down along Ballast Quay that I've not seen open in about 6 weeks. Pity, as they used to be good too.

Ahh boo.. Is it the lads on the side of the road or the lads in the yard? The lads on the side of the road are unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Not so much a store, but there used to be a car wash down along Ballast Quay that I've not seen open in about 6 weeks. Pity, as they used to be good too.

Yeah, strange one that. They were very good. Anyone know what happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Is it just me or does the vacancy rates seem to be increasing rather than decreasing in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Seems so. Grattan St./Castle St. in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Perhaps retail in Sligo is being affected by factors such as

1. Smaller number of British based tourists, spending less money

2. Online purchasing of items displayed in local shops

E.g one bookshop owner in Mayo told me he noticed people looking at books in stock, noting details but not buying. In one case he noticed browsers photographing the covers and backs of particular books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Online shopping is every retailers biggest problem. It's closing businesses everywhere.
    But we all love a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

red sean wrote: »
    Online shopping is every retailers biggest problem. It's closing businesses everywhere.
    But we all love a bargain!

this wont be popular with people but if I were running things I would say "if you can obtain what you want in Ireland , from an Irish supplier, then certain Imports are banned, or whop on a load of tax or something to make it more appealing to 'force' people to spend their money in Ireland and keep Irish business in business rather than people buying online and shipping their cash outside Ireland <ducks!> :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Unfortunately, the EU and the free movement of goods precludes this approach, however, Brexit gives us the opportunity to tax goods coming from the UK, however, I would imagine that the tariffs would be agreed Europe wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

this wont be popular with people but if I were running things I would say "if you can obtain what you want in Ireland , from an Irish supplier, then certain Imports are banned, or whop on a load of tax or something to make it more appealing to 'force' people to spend their money in Ireland and keep Irish business in business rather than people buying online and shipping their cash outside Ireland <ducks!> :eek:

...and watch as Irish businesses inflate the prices to just below what it would cost you to get it imported + tax.

I always try to support local businesses, as a keen cyclist I can get a lot of gear online cheaper but will always have a look around town or other local bike shops on my travels to see if they can supply for close to the price I would buy online.

In the end, my bike was bought dealer direct from Germany, which being honest no local dealer could compete with, in Ireland or mainland Europe, and a lot of kit I still buy online, not because I don't want to support local business, but in the end I do not have a lot of disposable income, especially with 4 kids, and need it to stretch as far as possible.

I will not however, go into a shop, look for an item, then go an buy it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Protectionism was tried between 1932 and 1958 - it didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In fairness, if there was value to be had locally, I would buy locally. I went into smelverys there the other week looking for a pair of runners since I had a one for all voucher for €30. Nice enough, and they had them on by one get one half price. They don't have them in my size and the next pair up from them is €160 and not included in the offer.
    I checked heatons and lifestyle for them but they didn't have them leaving me with no choice but to shop online. I got a pair on amazon from germany, including the voucher for €50.30 plus €3.50 in parcel motel. Go Figure..

I'll also add that smelverys told me they couldn't order them for me.

Why wouldn't you shop online?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Lollypotz on O Connell Street is closing down.

Geuze wrote: »
    Protectionism was tried between 1932 and 1958 - it didn't work.

ah right you are - so just because it didn't work way back when it wont work these days ...

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

ah right you are - so just because it didn't work way back when it wont work these days ...

It would be a bigger disaster now, protectionism was much bigger back then, now the only closed economy is North Korea. If we are to leave the EU to indulge your theory, every foreign multi national would leave Ireland and you would be posting to Boards via telegram, still butter and spuds isn't a bad thing to have for breakfast dinner and tea every day with an egg on Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It would be a bigger disaster now, protectionism was much bigger back then, now the only closed economy is North Korea. If we are to leave the EU to indulge your theory, every foreign multi national would leave Ireland and you would be posting to Boards via telegram, still butter and spuds isn't a bad thing to have for breakfast dinner and tea every day with an egg on Christmas day.

You'd want an egg every Christmas Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

It's ashame they are closing but their bouquets were expensive. Bought two for my grandmother and mum one time. €32 for one of them, not that I'm saying my relatives aren't worth it but they could've made the prices a little cheaper.

Correct, it would be even worse now, as the world is more globalised.

Anyways, we are in the SEM, so there is totally free trade within the EU.

Also, as we are in the EU customs union, we can't unilaterally put barriers up against third country imports.

dingding wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the EU and the free movement of goods precludes this approach, however, Brexit gives us the opportunity to tax goods coming from the UK, however, I would imagine that the tariffs would be agreed Europe wide.

Correct.

If the UK leave the SEM and the customs union, this does not give us the opportunity to put tariffs on UK imports.

If you are in the EU customs union, then external tariffs are standardised, and decided by all the EU member states.

Correct.

If the UK leave the SEM and the customs union, this does not give us the opportunity to put tariffs on UK imports.

If you are in the EU customs union, then external tariffs are standardised, and decided by all the EU member states.

bloody Europe! - we should have an Iexit referendum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

...or even a Slexit ;)

• Advertisement

Given that we have received massive benefits from EU membership, why would we leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Given that we have received massive benefits from EU membership, why would we leave?

You get some and after a while you have to give back a lot.

Yes, we have a become a net contributor recently, but we get huge economic benefits from being in the SEM.

[Sorry, off-topic]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Wow, such an on-topic discussion we're having here

How do you know it's closing down?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Vlove wrote: »
    How do you know it's closing down?

Signs in the window

Signs in the window

Ah right, when's it officially closing?

when the wheels of Brexit really kick in and as time gets nearer to Britain leaving europe does anyone reckon this might have any effect on the English stores that are already in Sligo at the moment like Currys, PCworld Argos , just to name a few that have set up in Sligo. Do you reckon we will see them close down? - or any effect like certain things they wont be able to sell at the effect of Brexit or prices changing? - any effects like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Impossible to know when the final deal between Britain and the EU/Ireland hasn't been agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

nuac wrote: »
    Perhaps retail in Sligo is being affected by factors such as

1. Smaller number of British based tourists, spending less money

2. Online purchasing of items displayed in local shops

E.g one bookshop owner in Mayo told me he noticed people looking at books in stock, noting details but not buying. In one case he noticed browsers photographing the covers and backs of particular books

I'd imagine cross border shopping must be hitting very Sligo hard. It's what, less than an hour from Enniskillen?

Advertisement