Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Currys is a much bigger store though. The PC World is tiny in comparison.

I would have thought the opposite. I always thought PC world was larger.

Is there anything planned for the PC world store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Basq wrote: »
    I've been hearing this Curry's / PC World are closing rumour for the past 8 months..

.. I'll believe it when I see it!

Nine years later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

within next couple of weeks 2 become 1 (as Spice Girls might say/sing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I remember getting absolutely hosed in there on a crappy compaq desktop back in 2005. Jesus what a piece of junk that was. And then there was the blank stares when you asked someone a remotely technical question.

I genuinely feel for anyone that's been put on the unemployment line due to this - but let's be honest - the place was a wee bit rubbish and the stock seriously overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I remember getting absolutely hosed in there on a crappy compaq desktop back in 2005. Jesus what a piece of junk that was. And then there was the blank stares when you asked someone a remotely technical question.

I genuinely feel for anyone that's been put on the unemployment line due to this - but let's be honest - the place was a wee bit rubbish and the stock seriously overpriced.

Couldn't agree more!
    I went in looking for a HD caddy, and was asked by one of the "experts" what it was used for!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Advice, don't go to PC for it. One even told me that the Microsoft branded mouse I was buying, would not work with my Windows Laptop as it had suitable to IOS on the box.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Can't remember seeing it mentioned here (apologies if it has been!) But I only found out this week that McPartlan opticians is closed? (After trying to ring them the last 2 weeks haha!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Shudda gone to specsavers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote:

Haha was waiting for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Bus Top newsagents on Lord Edward street is closing.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=47866

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭tinpib

Geuze wrote: »
    The Bus Top newsagents on Lord Edward street is closing.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=47866

Ya, my mother just told me the owner is on Ocean now, also the shop is listed for sale on daft.

http://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/sligo/lord-edward-st-sligo-sligo-1550578/

The Bus Top was always brilliant for obscure magazines, that was their USP, as they say. So a sign of the times in general that people aren't buying magazines now. Apparently he is saying the relief road affected business, could be true. It's hard to get parked too. But another Sligo institution gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

on the subject os Currys / PC world. Went to PC world last week to see a sign on the door directing me POORLY to the other shop. I was dealt with almost in an incidental manner by one of the experts!!!!

Thank god for maplin in galway. Helpfull, friendly and more importantly trained and informative staff.

Just heard Tra Bhan in Strandhill is closing/closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

red sean wrote: »
    Just heard Tra Bhan in Strandhill is closing/closed.
    Yeah, closed Sunday night to focus on the other two restaurants - Eala Bhan and Hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Amazed Eala Bhan had'nt closed years ago, thought the Strandhill was the better of them.
    Where's Hooked though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭tinpib

Amazed Eala Bhan had'nt closed years ago, thought the Strandhill was the better of them.
    Where's Hooked though?

Hooked is on the corner where "La Casa Mia"(?) was in the Italian quarter on Rockwood Parade. They are still renovating and are looking for staff according to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Hooked-1638817519503039/

tinpib wrote: »
    Ya, my mother just told me the owner is on Ocean now, also the shop is listed for sale on daft.

http://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/sligo/lord-edward-st-sligo-sligo-1550578/

The Bus Top was always brilliant for obscure magazines, that was their USP, as they say. So a sign of the times in general that people aren't buying magazines now. Apparently he is saying the relief road affected business, could be true. It's hard to get parked too. But another Sligo institution gone.

owner doesn't want to see Sligo end up swamped with band name stores ....

I guess there is quite a few with that wish as well seeing how behind Sligo seems to be behind the times with some other towns and cities. Its quaint, and I can see that big brand name superstores can stifle small shop businesses (maybe some small shops that have been in business for years) and that is a shame yes ... but still - thats the thing about retail, and more competition sometimes is a good thing and especially for the public who are looking for a good price/choice of goods and essential to bringing more people into the town to do their shopping rather than going further afield and spending their wages out of town rather than locally, and not to mention the amount of employment a big brand store can generate in the area.

Big brand stores are more beneficial to the British and Asian economies than they are to the Irish economy. Their prices are usually converted to Euro at exorbitant rates and manufactured in Asia, oftentimes under questionable working conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

The bookshop on The Mall has re-located to Bridge Street.

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    Big brand stores are more beneficial to the British and Asian economies than they are to the Irish economy. Their prices are usually converted to Euro at exorbitant rates and manufactured in Asia, oftentimes under questionable working conditions.

the way of the world I am afraid these days - most of the the general public want cheap, they are not worried if it dont last these days and when they are buying cheap or the right price they want to pay they dont give a hoot about who made it, where it was made, who has been exploited etc...

I was watching a thing on the news the other week about kids of about 7 going down mines and working in filthy terrible working conditions just to get the metal for manufacturers to make mobile phones ... very much doubt people will stop buying phones because of it though these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jillean6

Mr Simms closed today. Just seen it on Facebook

Jillean6 wrote: »

yep just seen it myself on facebook page just then and went to post it on here - thats a shame. another one bites the dust! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Ah that's a pity, only went in there twice and lemme tell ya, you didn't want to get out of that shop by the large varies of sweets they had in there!! ðŸ­ðŸ¬

for those with a sweet tooth and withdrawal symptoms there is always https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/ online and I think offering free delivery to Ireland at the moment

for those with a sweet tooth and withdrawal symptoms there is always https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/ online and I think offering free delivery to Ireland at the moment

Ah here, its midnight and you're making it worse for me for craving sweeties more xD

Vlove wrote: »
    Ah here, its midnight and you're making it worse for me for craving sweeties more xD

:) - Blackjacks, fruit Salads, white mice ... sherbert dips - flying saucers ..mmmm

:) - Blackjacks, fruit Salads, white mice ... sherbert dips - flying saucers ..mmmm

Can't beat the ol flying saucers! I'm Sorry I didn't buy the Willy wonka bars in there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

With Bus Stop gone too it's been a bad spell for the sugar addicts.

• Advertisement

online and I think offering free delivery to Ireland at the moment

That's the wedding sweet table sorted for next month thanks!! :-) LOVE flying saucers!

Advertisement