Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Strange.
    No other store says it.

Anyone got any further updates on Argos.

It looks like the closing soon is gone from the Argos website.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Mod note: post content removed and warning given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can we get back to posting something that's even remotely similar to the thread topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

dingding wrote: »
    Anyone got any further updates on Argos.

It looks like the closing soon is gone from the Argos website.
    Mod: <SNIP> content removed and warning given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tommyamnesia, you're just taking the p1ss with the above post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wife was shopping up in Enniskillen today, went into a shop called "the works" its a stationary shop and toys and that I think (i believe they have a few stores in the republic too) and said to a member of staff as she were paying "I wish we had one in Sligo" and the guy said "its not for the want of trying, we have tried on numerous occasions wanting a minimum 1 year lease and all the landlords can offer is a 6 months lease, we are not going to go to all that trouble of setting up a shop just for it to close in 6 months!"

so, anyone know what that is about and if its true? - first I have heard of it, and if this is what is putting off shops opening up in Sligo thats terrible and should be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb-com.nsf/page/ppr-home-en

You can search the commercial lease register here.  I checked a random one at quayside and it was for 3 years.  Sounds like they were telling you a story.
    It would be impossible to lease a retail unit for 6 months for the exact reason you mention.  It is more likely the shop was looking for a shorter lease to try out demand.

dingding wrote: »
    https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb-com.nsf/page/ppr-home-en

You can search the commercial lease register here.  I checked a random one at quayside and it was for 3 years.  Sounds like they were telling you a story.
    It would be impossible to lease a retail unit for 6 months for the exact reason you mention.  It is more likely the shop was looking for a shorter lease to try out demand.

ah right, yes that sounds feasible then ... but course i dont know what title the shop worker held, may have just been spinning a yarn (or however the saying goes) .. shouldn't think he was management being working on the till, mind you he sounded knowledgeable enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Often shop in The Works in Enniskillen. Lad behind the counter has an answer to everything and a story for everyone. Would take the hind end off a donkey. Wouldn't pass much heed to what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Gerry McGuire's is closing soon

• Advertisement

Vlove wrote: »
    Gerry McGuire's is closing soon

the shoe shop?

I used to love when 'Shoe Zone' used to be in OCS years ago - that would have been my kind of shoe shop, good price and the shoes were pretty good quality too.

- I go to the Ballina one now when I'm over that way

the shoe shop?

I used to love when 'Shoe Zone' used to be in OCS years ago - that would have been my kind of shoe shop, good price and the shoes were pretty good quality too.

- I go to the Ballina one now when I'm over that way
    Yup the expensive shoe and bag shop you mean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Vlove wrote:

Ooh.. Any sign of a closing Sale??

Vlove wrote: »

no, i mean i go to the Shoe Zone shop in Ballina these days .. its a budget (cheap) shoe shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Ballina shoe zone closed a few weeks ago!
    Might save you a spin.

imp1 wrote: »
    Ballina shoe zone closed a few weeks ago!
    Might save you a spin.

oh no - drastic! ... but thanks for telling me. Wonder where I go now for cheap footware . I suppose it will have to be Dunnes/penneys

no, i mean i go to the Shoe Zone shop in Ballina these days .. its a budget (cheap) shoe shop

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about Gerrys lol. I understand what you mean, never been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Sligo Supply closing their Castle st/Market cross shop...moving all into their premises down the Quays (also change of name which I can't remember!)

remembered... Clever Office Supplies!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

prodsc wrote: »
    remembered... Clever Office Supplies!!!
    Makes sense now as to that's what advertised on the BleeperBike's. Another empty lot on Castle Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

One thing I can't understand.........if the commercial property vacancy rate is the highest in Ireland, then why are rents so high?

All new leases published here:

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb-com.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

5 Wine street 2017 lease = 1000 pw, 52,800 pa [the Swagman?]

Lillies pub, 2017 lease = 1,000 pm, 12k pa

Ground Floor, 34 O'Connell Street, 2018 lease = 1000 pw, 52k pa, this is below Poppadoms, it is to be an Insomnia cafe

1,000 per week seems excessive in my opinion, no wonder goods are expensive in some of these shops........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I wonder are the lending institutions still insisting that top rents be got, leaving places vacant if that rent cannot be got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Geuze wrote: »
    One thing I can't understand.........if the commercial property vacancy rate is the highest in Ireland, then why are rents so high?

All new leases published here:

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb-com.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

5 Wine street 2017 lease = 1000 pw, 52,800 pa [the Swagman?]

Lillies pub, 2017 lease = 1,000 pm, 12k pa

Ground Floor, 34 O'Connell Street, 2018 lease = 1000 pw, 52k pa, this is below Poppadoms, it is to be an Insomnia cafe

1,000 per week seems excessive in my opinion, no wonder goods are expensive in some of these shops........

Is lillies only 12k per year???

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Good news finally. Next is not closing in Quayside.

ccazza wrote: »
    Good news finally. Next is not closing in Quayside.

yes , that is good news although I dont personally shop at that store it must be a good pull for sligo,and of course the workers get to keep their jobs now

What brought about this change of mind? Bet they are getting free rent or a reduced rate for a few months as an inducement to stay. Glad it’s happening, I’ve never shopped there but happy for the staff!

Is lillies only 12k per year???

Only?

1,000 pm is plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Geuze wrote: »
    Only?

1,000 pm is plenty.
    As opposed to 4K a week elsewhere..

it is considerably smaller than The Swagman though... and god knows it feels it on a Saturday night!

so, I dont know how they work out the rates in Sligo town centre for businesses - but shouldnt that be the way maybe? that the smaller the premises the lower the rates no?

so, I dont know how they work out the rates in Sligo town centre for businesses - but shouldnt that be the way maybe? that the smaller the premises the lower the rates no?

The discussion is about rents, not rates.

Commercial rates are a local tax, the tax rate is set by the council, and the tax base is set by the Valuation Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I hear Next are to remain in Sligo now this has to be good news

Advertisement