Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭DenMan

The shop inside the bus station has closed. I read the note that was posted on the shutter today. Closed on July 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

red sean wrote: »

thanks - glad its been (or looks like been) spared ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

DenMan wrote: »
    The shop inside the bus station has closed. I read the note that was posted on the shutter today. Closed on July 31.

That is a great pity. Good shop, ran by a helpful lady. Hope a high rent was not the reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

ryanch09 wrote: »

only saving grace (if you can look at it that way) is that the redundancy's are going to be phased over the years by 2021 - imagine if 165 jobs went straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Meanman

When did McLoughlins pub in Market street close. I was just counting the pubs in that area that have closed in the recent past,(1) Sidney Gallaghers, (2)Murrays, (3)Crusheen Lawn, (4)Currids, (5)McGowans, (6)Mullanes (now cycle shop) (7)Conways,(8) Bonn-Chere, (9)McGuinness's and now (10)McLoughlins.

THIS IS NO TOWN FOR THE DRINKIN MAN (Or at least that part of the town)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Meanman wrote: »
    When did McLoughlins pub in Market street close. I was just counting the pubs in that area that have closed in the recent past,(1) Sidney Gallaghers, (2)Murrays, (3)Crusheen Lawn, (4)Currids, (5)McGowans, (6)Mullanes (now cycle shop) (7)Conways,(8) Bonn-Chere, (9)McGuinness's and now (10)McLoughlins.

Closed a few months back for personal reasons.

In fairness, Murrays, Bonn-Chere Mullanes & McGowans are hardly the recent past

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Meanman wrote: »

Some of those pubs have been closed for more than 10 years. Hardly recent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Mandarin Court on Wine st. " closed until further notice" . They are only back from holidays. Anybody know why?

Just seen on FB closed for family emergency! Hope all is good in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Mizi just closed there in the recent weeks it seems, no clothes on mannequins and shelves seemed empty. Im sure it was a expensive shop cause i never step into it while it was opened....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looked like the Polish Shop opposite Dunnes Stores on Adelaide Street was closed when I went by yesterday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Basq wrote: »
    Looked like the Polish Shop opposite Dunnes Stores on Adelaide Street was closed when I went by yesterday..
    I think there was a notice about renovations on it the last time I went past, but that might have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Draft House in Strandhill is gone. Always thought that place did well enough.

Draft House in Strandhill is gone. Always thought that place did well enough.
    Shame... did it close overnight as looks like it was open yesterday.

Shame... did it close overnight as looks like it was open yesterday.

Yeah friend of mine, works there, was told last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

That's a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

That's bad. Hopefully they will inform everyone who booked Christmas parties there. It was very busy last year, seems strange that they didn't wait until after the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

T-Bird wrote: »
    That's bad. Hopefully they will inform everyone who booked Christmas parties there. It was very busy last year, seems strange that they didn't wait until after the new year.

Sometimes unfortunately the business owner isn't always given the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

sligoblue wrote: »
    Sometimes unfortunately the business owner isn't always given the choice.

Oh, I know only too well. Seen it happen many a time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Scarlet42

their facebook page says they are closing for the winter .. back up again April 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    their facebook page says they are closing for the winter .. back up again April 2019

https://www.facebook.com/1613824835532681/posts/2245705529011272/

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Will this be like 5th/6th on teeling closing for the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Will this be like 5th/6th on teeling closing for the summer?

Well it was the same company that ran the two ;)

shanec1928 wrote: »

Yeah, not to be spreading any rumours about what their intentions are but the staff that I know weren’t told anything about it being a temporary closure, albeit for 5 months.

Instructed to close the door at 7:30pm yesterday for a staff meeting and told sorry that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Seriously?! Same trick again so.

They were around Finisklin about two weeks ago pushing Xmas parties. Wonder if they took deposits..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

No business has ever really established itself and done well in that building.
    Shame to see it gone, I liked it. if it wasn't able to keep the doors open over christmas period it really must not be doing well.

what could you say was their biggest competitor down there eatery/restaurant wise?

what could you say was their biggest competitor down there eatery/restaurant wise?
    Take your pick.. Shells / The Venue / The Strand.

I enjoyed their food if I'm being honest.. better than Strand and less pretentious than Shells, no can't compete with The Venue.

Shame to see regardless!

Take your pick.. Shells / The Venue / The Strand.

I enjoyed their food if I'm being honest.. better than Strand and less pretentious than Shells, no can't compete with The Venue.

Shame to see regardless!

ya - lovely place with lovely food the Venue , had the best fish and chips ever in shells though , and then there is a smashing gourmet type burger place just by the surf school , Burger shack, not there that long

• Advertisement

• promethius wrote: »
    No business has ever really established itself and done well in that building.
    Shame to see it gone, I liked it. if it wasn't able to keep the doors open over christmas period it really must not be doing well.

Yes that's true. As an occasional customer, the construction/layout of the building itself never seemed to work. Something about it was uncomfortable. If it were me, I'd knock it down and rebuild it.

Shame to see it closed.

Advertisement