Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s good to read but how can they reopen in a few weeks if they’ve closed? Surely the same problems will still be there?
    I really hope though that it works out for them.
    prodsc wrote: »
    update:

A little note from the beats of Bridge Street 🌱⁣

We have had to close our beloved sister cafe Sweet As... due to difficult trading conditions over the last six months. Brexit, VAT increases and startup costs were just unsustainable to maintain any longer. We are heartbroken, as you can imagine. ⁣

Sweet Beat will be closed temporarily for a few weeks as we regroup, re-evaluate and recharge. We are aiming to reopen in early February and hope you will come back to visit us then. ⁣

We can't thank our staff enough for all their commitment and support during this time but we have had to let people go 💔⁣

In the meantime as we work towards February, here is how you can help; ⁣

1️⃣ Sign up to our mailing at sweetbeat.ie/newsletter to be the first to know our opening date. ⁣
    2️⃣ Please spread the word that we will reopen in a few weeks time. ⁣

Thank you for your patience, we are devastated but we will be back ðŸ™

Hopefully it will reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Will it be like when 5th on teeling or the draft house closed for renovations/ winter...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

They will try and open one I imagine. Bailiffs hauled the fridges out of there on Monday and staff were given letter on Sunday saying they were closing indefinitely. All seems very messy

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    They will try and open one I imagine. Bailiffs hauled the fridges out of there on Monday and staff were given letter on Sunday saying they were closing indefinitely. All seems very messy

Out of the new place or old place? I wonder are they separate entities financially.

littlejp wrote: »
    Out of the new place or old place? I wonder are they separate entities financially.

Out of the old place. I imagine they were all under the same umbrella if they got equipment seized from both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Out of the old place. I imagine they were all under the same umbrella if they got equipment seized from both

Oh no. Hope they can get open again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Thanks for the update on Sweet Beet, does seem like they have taken a heavy blow. Really hope they can recover from this.

Still not sure why they thought opening a second shop in Sligo was a good idea, even without the uncertainties of Brexit, it seemed a bit rash.

Hopefully the staff who were let off managed to find employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I can't see how they're laying part of the blame here on Brexit. How does that impact footfall through a local business?

I don’t see how it has anything to do with Brexit or a shaker tourist season when you opened in the middle of tourist season. I heard today <SNIP>. All the staff have been let go too so doubtful they will be opening in February as they are saying on social media.

Mod note: Please dont post potentially libelous "hearsay"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

The party boutique card shop etc beside Easons on O'Connell St had windows totally blocked out with brown paper yesterday, so doesn't look too good there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tinpib wrote: »
    The party boutique card shop etc beside Easons on O'Connell St had windows totally blocked out with brown paper yesterday, so doesn't look too good there.
    That was fairly seasonal I thought anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You're not looking at it from a business perspective. Your company makes €500,000 profit that is taxable. Instead of paying tax on that profit, purchase a property for €500,000 as a business expansion(expense). You now have reduced your tax liability and if purchasing at the lower end of the scale(which alot of these businessmen did when the recession hit), and you potentially have an investment increasing x% each year without ever having to rent it out and thus increase potential tax liability. It's easy to say that the tax on the the profit from renting shouldn't be much, but that's why they have accountants to work the numbers for them. It's no coincidence so few people/companies own a lot of the vacant building around the town ;)

I never failed to be amazed the amount of people who will try to pass themselves off as knowledgeable regarding tax, and them immediately show themselves up by not knowing the most basic principles.

Capital purchases - especially immovable assets - are not a tax deductible expense. At the very, very best you can get capital allowances at 4% of the price for 25 years, but that's only for industrial buildings.

Any rental income within a company is taxed at 25% (unless the company's registered trade is commercial renting, and then the tax rate is only 12.5%).

Renting out the property has no impact on capital allowances, so if eligible for capital allowances they'll still have the 4% deduction, plus at very worst 75% of the additional rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, can we leave it at that please regarding the tax issues. The taxation forum is there for such discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

blackwhite wrote: »
    I never failed to be amazed the amount of people who will try to pass themselves off as knowledgeable regarding tax, and them immediately show themselves up by not knowing the most basic principles.

Capital purchases - especially immovable assets - are not a tax deductible expense. At the very, very best you can get capital allowances at 4% of the price for 25 years, but that's only for industrial buildings.

Any rental income within a company is taxed at 25% (unless the company's registered trade is commercial renting, and then the tax rate is only 12.5%).

Renting out the property has no impact on capital allowances, so if eligible for capital allowances they'll still have the 4% deduction, plus at very worst 75% of the additional rental income.

Hands held up here...........seems I had this completely fudged up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

The butcher shop that opened at old Feehily's shop at the corner of the Mall and Bridge St seems to be closed. It only opened maybe 18 months ago? No major surprise, all they sold was prepacked meat, why would you bother going there when you can buy prepacked meat at the supermarket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Shame to hear about Sweet Beat, I thought they must have been flying it when I heard they opened a 2nd location. I have some vegan visitors coming in May who I am meeting in Sligo and was hoping to be able to bring them there, so hopefully they re-open at some point.

They were a bit expensive though. About 4 years ago I brought a friend there for a birthday lunch. We both ordered their lunch special, which sounded lovely whatever convoluted way they had it described but I didnt put 2 and 2 together what it actually was, until it arrived.

It was beans on toast. And it was 11 euro for EACH. With the 2 smoothies I ended up spending over 30 euro on beans on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It was beans on toast. And it was 11 euro for EACH. With the 2 smoothies I ended up spending over 30 euro on beans on toast.
    Yeah, there's a few places doing this indicating that they're "posh" with cannellini beans and homemade tomato sauce, as opposed to a tin of Heinz Baked Beans.

But to be honest, spotted cannellini beans at weekend in their "Everyday Value" range in Dunnes for a euro a can.

Anything over 6 quid for that is insanity!

The Sidings Restaurant in Lord Edward Street is closing.
    That’s the fourth restaurant in the last 3 months that has gone from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

Carpet Right is closing. Seemingly a few of the Irish stores have shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

johnire wrote: »
    The Sidings Restaurant in Lord Edward Street is closing.
    That’s the fourth restaurant in the last 3 months that has gone from town.

Is that the one over the railway bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The relatively newly opened filling station in Castlebaldwin closed again from last night

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2020/02/06/castlebaldwin-filling-station-has-closed/

It is indeed.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    Is that the one over the railway bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sorry if I am late to the party and that someone already has mentioned it but I think eirhub have gone (or moving) in johnstones court SC (hope they havent gone i loved that gadget shop) and I think the cafe in the quayside (which was Yum-Yums at one time) is closed - Just from observation like , nothing concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The Party Boutique in O'Connell Street seems to have closed up shop? Where will we get our wigs and Halloween Costumes now? Oh and crystal Angel's.

• Plazaman wrote: »
    The Party Boutique in O'Connell Street seems to have closed up shop? Where will we get our wigs and Halloween Costumes now? Oh and crystal Angel's.

Try the House of Value or Nice Price. Failing that try Amazon.ie for all that kind of cheap tat.

There's also a few warehouses in Dublin where you can buy hawkers sh**e in bulk. Great for St Paddys day hats, hammers and tricolour vuvuzelas.

Mr Price in Cleveragh would be a good place to look too.

quote="Plazaman;112543093"]The Party Boutique in O'Connell Street seems to have closed up shop? Where will we get our wigs and Halloween Costumes now? Oh and crystal Angel's.[/quote]

Mary's used to be a good place for all that carry on

• Mary's used to be a good place for all that carry on

Did anyone ever buy anything out of Mary's that was not of totally substandard quality? You could buy most about anything but it was all rubbish really.

Did anyone ever buy anything out of Mary's that was not of totally substandard quality? You could buy most about anything but it was all rubbish really.

i liked it - great shop , of course dealz and euro store and mr price werent around then.
    i used to go to woods and then walk across the road to marys and then have a bite to eat in the carlton cafe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Mary's of China"

Advertisement