Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Gonna be an awful long year this year for Sligo's retail sector.

It's really going to be a ghost town.

Chartbuster, Pull and Bear, Zavvi, TK Maxx all leaving the centre of town, and there'll be swee FA left in the Retail Park.

Crazy how things can happen so quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

what!? TK Maxx is closing?!

NOOOOOOOOOOO :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Never heard about TK Maxx or Pull and Bear leaving the town.. any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I didn't hear about Pull and Bear or TK Maxx.
    There's a womans clothes shop gone (Unit), they were there last week...gone this week....its mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Hagar wrote: »
    Enjoy your cheap beer, share one with an un-employed neighbour.

I fear we are going to see this same tale right across border towns before long.
    I wish I had been wrong. Link. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Hagar wrote: »
    I wish I had been wrong. Link. :o

Who do you blame though? The people for seeking better value? You can't.
    The fact we can't devalue our currency to match the places we export to. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

i don't think that 'blame' is the right word for it....when times were
    good( as they undoubtedly were),we were more than willing to pay the asking price for goods and services without question.....sometimes we used it as a badge for our excesses(you won't believe what i paid for IT
    but i had to have it!)....now that times have changed, it would be foolish to think, that as disposable income is shrinking to a level that has'nt been
    seen for over a decade, that shops and services can hope to survive
    without trying to adapt in some form or another.....these businesses
    are no different from the rest of us---either sink or swim ....their pricing structures were quick to evolve to the excesses of the tiger...now they need to adapt..... or fall by the wayside, but be under no illusion the stores that have disappeared overnite are also the ones who have been here the shortest period of time(by and large),these 'tough times ahead' were already costed in to their 'bottom line' and i can guarantee that not a one of these name brand stores hung around/or will wait around a minute past their sell by date...if you want to feel bad about the current climate ,save it for the shops that have been here for generations and are suffering worse than any.....but have no where else to go.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

jimmmy wrote: »
    Well said. Yesterdays weekender was almost funny if it was not so sad, in which the owner of Instore complained about the retail park for his business not succeeding. I remember visiting Instore in Galway about ten years ago. The three or so furniture shops in Sligo, all locally owned, were providing a service in Sligo and while were probably not making much money were surviving. Over the past 4 years or so lots and lots ( too many to count ) of new furniture shops arrived in Sligo ...just how did they think a town of 19,000 people would support them as well as the Sligo businesses ?

2 seasons is closed? Where the hell am I gonna get my snowflake Santy decorations come December?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

dardevle wrote: »
    i don't think that 'blame' is the right word for it....when times were
    good( as they undoubtedly were),we were more than willing to pay the asking price for goods and services without question.....sometimes we used it as a badge for our excesses(you won't believe what i paid for IT
    but i had to have it!)....now that times have changed, it would be foolish to think, that as disposable income is shrinking to a level that has'nt been
    seen for over a decade, that shops and services can hope to survive
    without trying to adapt in some form or another.....these businesses
    are no different from the rest of us---either sink or swim ....their pricing structures were quick to evolve to the excesses of the tiger...now they need to adapt..... or fall by the wayside, but be under no illusion the stores that have disappeared overnite are also the ones who have been here the shortest period of time(by and large),these 'tough times ahead' were already costed in to their 'bottom line' and i can guarantee that not a one of these name brand stores hung around/or will wait around a minute past their sell by date...if you want to feel bad about the current climate ,save it for the shops that have been here for generations and are suffering worse than any.....but have no where else to go.:(

+ 1

2 seasons is closed? Where the hell am I gonna get my snowflake Santy decorations come December?

Yep,closed on Sunday!

To be honest I didn't expect 2 Seasons to stay open as long as it did,and then you hear people saying its a disaster.
    Where did you get your Santy snowflake decorations before 2 Seasons opened...go back there!!

• Advertisement

Fitzo wrote: »
    Gonna be an awful long year this year for Sligo's retail sector.

It's really going to be a ghost town.

Chartbuster, Pull and Bear, Zavvi, TK Maxx all leaving the centre of town, and there'll be swee FA left in the Retail Park.

Crazy how things can happen so quick...

Who or what is your source,I asked a member of staff in Tk Maxx if they were closing and it was the first she had heard of it!
    I hope it doesnt close to be honest,if your in the shopping mood you can sometimes find a bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Yeah, I can see the Irish consumer being blamed for Superquinn. here cometh the 'I told you so' from the government about shopping up north, and the whole 'you've made your bed now lie in it' speech.

They don't look to be accountable for anything these days, not even the running of the country

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see the Irish consumer being blamed for Superquinn. here cometh the 'I told you so' from the government about shopping up north, and the whole 'you've made your bed now lie in it' speech.

They don't look to be accountable for anything these days, not even the running of the country

There was a Superquin spokesman on the news the other day who put the closure of it's Dundalk store down to "cross border shopping" amongst other factors.

Funnily enough, he never mentioned the fact that the supermarkets here are vastly over-priced in comparison.

As for government accountability.... don'tcha know that in this current economic climate, and with the global credit crunch, EVERYTHING including the weather can be put down to the recent downturn. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Funnily enough, he never mentioned the fact that the supermarkets here are vastly over-priced in comparison.
    And why do you think that is ? Do you think if they lowered their prices to the UK levels, they would still be in business ? Do not forget the overheads / minimum wage etc in Republic of Ireland. Even our Taoiseach pays himself more than the p.m of the Uk, or the President of France or the US, all much much bigger, industrialised countries, where they have economy of scale The bad example + rot starts from the top in this country..

And why do you think that is ? Do you think if they lowered their prices to the UK levels, they would still be in business ? Do not forget the overheads / minimum wage etc in Republic of Ireland. Even our Taoiseach pays himself more than the p.m of the Uk, or the President of France or the US, all much much bigger, industrialised countries, where they have economy of scale The bad example + rot starts from the top in this country..

I totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Even our Taoiseach pays himself more than the p.m of the Uk, or the President of France or the US, all much much bigger, industrialised countries, where they have economy of scale The bad example + rot starts from the top in this country..

Yes, but you forget young padawan, the government in this country can do whatever the hell it wants and always gets awary with it with no accountability.

This is case and point.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Yes, but you forget young padawan, the government in this country can do whatever the hell it wants and always gets awary with it with no accountability.

This is case and point.

I love Brian Cowen because I love camels. Nice big juicy lips & an ugly but loveable face.. what more could you want from a Taoiseach?

I love Brian Cowen because I love camels. Nice big juicy lips & an ugly but loveable face.. what more could you want from a Taoiseach?
    How about a little leadership ? or competency at the job ? Too much to hope for. He may be fond of a few pints, but how he has the neck to pay himself more than the leaders of U.S., UK, Germany, France etc is beyond most peoples comprehension in the world.

Back to the subject, tis a pity to see so many stores closing around the place, and it seems to be getting worse not better...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mangans Cash and Carry closed down. 25 jobs gone.

Mangans Cash and Carry closed down. 25 jobs gone.

Whereabouts were they?
    They've been around for years haven't they.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »
    Whereabouts were they?
    They've been around for years haven't they.

They were at the Collooney roundabout ML, in business 40 years. They have other branches which are not closing.

They were handy for bulk buying. I thought of them when I looked into my near empty jar of coffee this morning, then I read the news.

25 jobs...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Some of the people who lost their jobs at Mangans have spent all their working lives there and will find it very tough to get something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hannah-j

hmmmmmmmm

They were at the Collooney roundabout ML, in business 40 years. They have other branches which are not closing.

They were handy for bulk buying. I thought of them when I looked into my near empty jar of coffee this morning, then I read the news.

25 jobs...:(

I think I read about it going...shame for the staff.

heard on the radio just now that land of leather is closing 3 stores countrywide, inc Sligo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

heard on the radio just now that land of leather is closing 3 stores countrywide, inc Sligo...

Yes, and First Active will follow later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

OK so it is not a store but it is a major local employer: is Fort Dodge about to go under?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7850680.stm
    (Wyeth own Fort Dodge)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

OK so it is not a store but it is a major local employer: is Fort Dodge about to go under?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7850680.stm
    (Wyeth own Fort Dodge)
    Well, pfizer have a plant in cork they might decide to axe a few people in one that overlap with the other. Hopefully not though.

Ten redundancies in Homebase and some hours cut to half.

Hope Bobcar is ok.

• Advertisement

I'm grand.

You probably got the information from the same person we both know that works there.
    It wasn't like they were let go,it was a voluntary redundancy that they took after they had been told what their contract would be cut too.Massive mistake by Homebase if you ask me cutting all those contracts and having some of the most experienced staff been really unhappy and therefore deciding to take the redundancy package.

Advertisement