Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm grand.

You probably got the information from the same person we both know that works there.
    It wasn't like they were let go,it was a voluntary redundancy that they took after they had been told what their contract would be cut too.Massive mistake by Homebase if you ask me cutting all those contracts and having some of the most experienced staff been really unhappy and therefore deciding to take the redundancy package.

Glad your okay.

I hope the people who took the redundancies had other work lined up. Half a working week is better than dole.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Glad to see you're fine, bobcar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Half a working week is better than dole.

Depending on how much you get paid of course,if I wasn't a full time student in college I would be better of going on the dole,I would earn more each week than I would working the hours I do now.

Depending on how much you get paid of course,if I wasn't a full time student in college I would be better of going on the dole,I would earn more each week than I would working the hours I do now.

I think the best way to do it is to ensure you get full days work rather than half days etc. You can then work 2.5/3 days then sign on for the rest of the days of the week. As far as I know, if you are working, say, 4 hours every day, then you are not entitled to sign on for any days. I'm sure its in Homebases own interests to be as accommodating to the remaining staff as possible.

I know this doesn't apply in your case Bobcar, because of college.

Plus they have given everyone 4 hour shifts based over 5 days,not accomodating at all!

• Advertisement

Plus they have given everyone 4 hour shifts based over 5 days,not accomodating at all!

It might be worth telling them the situation it leaves people in though. Maybe the powers that be aren't aware? Its no skin off their nose, in fact it should make rotas a little easier to work out.

/struggles to be optimistic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Fecking Hell. Maybe the mods should rename this thread to the 'Doom and Gloom' Thread.

Or Make it a stickie, as it seems to be constantly going.

Thankfully, I'm ok at the moment, - for now.......

And where would you be working,if its ok to publicly mention here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Fecking Hell. Maybe the mods should rename this thread to the 'Doom and Gloom' Thread.

Or Make it a stickie, as it seems to be constantly going.

Thankfully, I'm ok at the moment, - for now.......

No need to sticky it if it stays on top of its own accord :-\

Long may your job (and everyone else who's still working at that) last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »
    No need to sticky it if it stays on top of its own accord :-\

Long may your job (and everyone else who's still working at that) last.

Thanks Xiney

Sorry bobbo, Not really wanting to say where my daily toil is publically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

JIZZLORD wrote: »

So, is that half the retail park at this stage?!

Not far off it Xiney!

I'm not surprised Classic Furniture are closed,the prices they were charging were extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

We bought furniture from Classic Furniture in Deecember. Guy I spoke to had moved from Dublin to Sligo to be nearer home. Poor sod!

Carraroe needs a food store eg Aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

but aldi there would turn Sligo into a ghost town...
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Not far off it Xiney!

I'm not surprised Classic Furniture are closed,the prices they were charging were extraordinary.

I know someone who wanted to buy a sofa there, but as it was very pricey, she waited for the sales in January last year... a few weeks before Xmas, they pushed their prices up & then reduced them in January to the original prices & called it a "sale".

In some ways, this recession is good as it's getting rid of businesses like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I took a look around today and it was quite sad to see the empty shops. Sad for the people that is. Classic was closed and people were inside emptying the place.

Toy City was almost empty of stock. There was quite a selection of bikes there and I could not believe that they were part of the 50% sale :eek: I got my son an early birthday present of a BMX clone and a mountain bike for myself. Both for €114 Wow. They had a sign in there stating that they were not closing. Hope its true.

P.S.

Aldi has planning permission granted for a site near Dunnes and the fire station. There is/was a development planned where a few buildings were to be knocked down and Aldi plus a few of the usual offices and apartments were to be built. Not sure if it is going to go ahead in the current climate but the buildings were evacuated back in May last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Essexboy wrote: »
    We bought furniture from Classic Furniture in Deecember. Guy I spoke to had moved from Dublin to Sligo to be nearer home. Poor sod!

Carraroe needs a food store eg Aldi
    +1 it really does to get some passing trade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The best place for Aldi would be the town centre, close to the inner relief road, bus station + train station. That would minimise the carbon footprint of those visiting it big time. The town is full of apartments + houses + is wide open for them.

jimmmy wrote: »
    The best place for Aldi would be the town centre, close to the inner relief road, bus station + train station. That would minimise the carbon footprint of those visiting it big time. The town is full of apartments + houses + is wide open for them.

yeah that would be great with the weekly shop in the train and bus, dream on! great parking too and it is of course a well known fact that the majorty of people do their shopping by bus and train!? Not to mention the excellent services public transport provides for the people in small villages.

We (most people I know from around sligo) Dont want to go into town for our weekly shop. We go if we need to. Less congestion is less carbon footprint too!

• Advertisement

Some people do travel by bus and train...and as fossil fuels are limited / get more expensive and will run out some day, that is what we should bear in mind. We should be making it easier for people who depend on public transport, not more difficult. Have you ever seen an efficient public transport system like Germany for example ?

I did say close to the inner relief road as well as close to public transport.
    ( and the pedestrian traffic / apartment dwellers etc in Sligo of course )
    That would be the perfect solution for the least amount of pollution, inconvenience etc, and would suit people from North Sligo as well as Sligo itself, as well as south Sligo. Its not rocket science.

This thread is on stores closing, lets keep it to that.( and hope not too many more close ).

Some people do travel by bus and train...and as fossil fuels are limited / get more expensive and will run out some day, that is what we should bear in mind. We should be making it easier for people who depend on public transport, not more difficult. Have you ever seen an efficient public transport system like Germany for example ?

I did say close to the inner relief road as well as close to public transport.
    ( and the pedestrian traffic / apartment dwellers etc in Sligo of course )
    That would be the perfect solution for the least amount of pollution, inconvenience etc, and would suit people from North Sligo as well as Sligo itself, as well as south Sligo. Its not rocket science.

This thread is on stores closing, lets keep it to that.( and hope not too many more close ).

You always bring up the same argument in every thread mate and we didnt agree in any other thread and we never will (unless you agree suddenly with me though!:D) Indeed I hope nothing else will close, but the way things going prepare for the worst. (My god did we just agree??:p)

Actually it was not "every thread", I am not your "mate", but I agree lets hope nothing else closes.

Actually it was not "every thread", I am not your "mate", but I agree lets hope nothing else closes.

It was ment sarcastic 'mate' no hard feelings though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jaysus.. a couple of shops close & all hell breaks loose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Jaysus.. a couple of shops close & all hell breaks loose!

Nothing wrong with shops closing as long as they are replaced - but most of these shops are in one area and the premises remain closed.
    The worry is that more stores will close with consequential loss of jobs and diversion of trade to other towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 juicyjellybabe

Does anyone know when chartbusters is closing? I presume the Sligo branch is one of the branches that is closing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Does anyone know when chartbusters is closing? I presume the Sligo branch is one of the branches that is closing
    Don't think they are...

Well, all the signs in the window advertising promotions quote them as being 'Video City'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

basquille wrote: »
    Don't think they are...

Well, all the signs in the window advertising promotions quote them as being 'Video City'

ya the person that used to own it as video city has taken it back over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

strongr wrote: »
    ya the person that used to own it as video city has taken it back over.
    Always liked Video City... much better value than Xtra-Vision. They're quoting new releases for €2 a night now compared to Xtra-Vision's €4.50 new release rental a night.

Though Video City need to invest in some Blu-rays and PS3 / 360 games - all they have is PS2 games for rent.

Advertisement