Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet - safe(r) surfing

Options
  • 19-12-2008 10:39am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think this forum is the best place for this question. My 6 year old has been using the computer for a while (mainly for his Tonka games) and has started to use the internet recently. He's Googling for car games and the like, so obviously it's time for me to put some protection software on it.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I want everything of course... :D it should be free, brilliant, easy-to-use, and not block every single site in the world - I'd prefer not to have to unlock all the ok sites if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Use OpenDNS.

Review of some of your options here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-parental-Filter.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do not let him use the internet unsupervised at all.
    Also make sure google safe search is on and install Opendns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Both of mine have thier own pcs (they are oldish dell desktops far from high spec)
    and they are superived using them and we don't have net nanny type software on them but thier pcs have fixed ip on the home network and have a procribed list of sites that they are allowed access.

If they want to look something up in google or on wiki they come and ask me and we do it on my pc.

Advertisement