Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polaroid in bankruptcy protection

• 19-12-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭

Time for that shadenfruede...

Camera-maker Polaroid has filed for US Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection amid allegations of fraud by the founder of its parent group

from the BBC:
    news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7791150.stm

Looks like the petter group WAS just running it into the ground after all !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

:( I've only discovered Polaroid recently and all.. I'd read they were launching new products. I wonder what on earth they could offer that's not already out there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

So where does that leave them and us?

Anyways, Fuji's 120 stock will do for the moment, but I just want (non pack) 4x5 more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    So where does that leave them and us?

Anyways, Fuji's 120 stock will do for the moment, but I just want (non pack) 4x5 more than anything else.

It doesn't really make any difference with regard to instant film, I don't think they had an plans to revive that regardless. Everyone will continue doing what they're doing at the moment, which is hoarding film, switching to fuji, and buying instax cameras for the 600/spectra users :) For the diehards, then there's allways polapremium if you want to be patronised and ripped off all at the same time.
    I've only discovered Polaroid recently and all.. I'd read they were launching new products. I wonder what on earth they could offer that's not already out there though.

Their new product is a technology called 'zink' which looks like nothing more than an overblown dye-sublimation printer. You plug your digital camera into and it prints "polaroid instant prints !!!!" (hurrah) in about 5 minutes, and then the battery dies apparently after about 5 shots. So its in many respects a gigantic step backward from 600 film but what can you do ?

Ah. Pretty much as I thought then.

Back to paying over a hundred quid for type 55 for me :)

Ah. Pretty much as I thought then.

Back to paying over a hundred quid for type 55 for me :)

yeeks. is that over a hundred for a pack of 10 :eek: ???!?
    At that stage I'd be using the fuji B&W stuff, and when no-one was looking, photoshopping a type 55 border onto the scan :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fuji's 4x5 attempt dosn't stretch too far - It's a pos only, and it's pack film, T55 comes in singles, with a pos and an incredibly nice neg (iso 35, and you get that lovely border). Pack film is a pain in the ass, along with needing a different back altogether.

Come on Fuji! Get yer act together!!! :p

And yep, looking at 130ish for a pack. And muggins here still orders it.

Less than 10 years ago, it was about 15 quid for a pack and all.

And yep, looking at 130ish for a pack. And muggins here still orders it.

Yeeks indeed ! Yeah I was briefly going to get some of the smaller format equivalent when unsaleable had it in, 155 or 455or whatever it was called, type 100 so it'd fit in my pola back for my bronica. I just couldn't justify the price inside my head though. I think unsaleable were asking over 50 euros for a pack or something. Crazy.

Comparitively, unsaleables are good value.... :-/

Advertisement