Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer won't start for 45 minutes

• 19-12-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I had learned to live with this problem but I'm trying to overclock now so it's a pain. My computer needs a 45 minute break after it's been turned off to when I can successfully boot it again. If I try to turn it on before the 45 minutes I can hear one long and two short beebs but nothing comes up on screen. The fan on my old graphics card used to spin at full speed after the beebs (I've replaced that card with one passively cooled.

I want to fix this as I've already began messing with Bios settings. I changed th fsb from 266 to 286. Probably shouldn't have done it as I still havent finished reading up on it, but I got impatient and just tryed it. It seems to have worked ok, the only thing that worrys me is the voltage of the ram is now running at 2.1v when according to komplett it's only rated at 2. Was 1.85 before the fsb jump.

My computer is,

Gigabyte GA 9659 DQ6
    Intel Core 2 duo E6600
    4gb of crucial ballistics ram
    Gigabyte HD4859
    Win XP SP3

I've heard that the wait may be caused by memory timings (on here if I'm not mistaken). Can anyone give me tips for what this setup should be running at?

I'm at work now, I'm trying to build up a plan before I go home and retry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Last time i seen (heared) those set of beeps it was my graphics card that went tits up, any chance you have a spare one about you can test with? Also, next time you boot go into the bios and set everything at its default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm just after replacing my old x1900xtx with that HD and the problem happened with both. It's been doing this for around two years now. It took me ages to get the pc running at all when I first got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I wonder is the board possibly banjaxed? Try setting everythign back to default and see hwo you get on.

Please stop saying banjaxed and tits up to me. lol I've spent all the money I have to spend on that graphics card and more ram.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the hardware as such. It's been working for over two years I think I initially set it up wrong.

Is that ram ok for that board?

The Latency timings komplett puts in the specs on their site are not the latency timings that I think mine have (according to cpu-z), I think there not the same anyway I could be reading it wrong. Mine are (off the top of my head) something like 4 - 4 -12 - 24 - 40 something. I'm hoping thats the root of all my problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First of all did you look up the beep code?? That'll tell you straight away what area of your build is actually giving trouble...

• Advertisement

Rightio so, according to this it's a graphics card error. When it does it's beebs it sounds like the computer continues to boot to windows there's just no signal to the monitor.

The graphics card is brand new and this carried on from the last card which ran just fine. When it did post that beeb code the fan on the old card used to spin at top speed constantly. There is no fan on the new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

have you tried the gpu in the other socket ?

Also you might have a short circuit at the back of your motherboard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Had something very similar to this, computer would turn on all fans lights etc but there would be no display on the monitors, had to force shutdown and wait almost an hour to get a proper boot up.

Was a dodgy power supply, replacement from Peats fixed the problem and its flying now :)

Advertisement