Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia 2247nwg router

Options
  • 19-12-2008 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

This is the one with the Eircom logo which PC world were selling for €25 a while back. My question is, has anybody successfully connected this to NTL cable and how did they do it? I have done a search and apparently there are two types of 2247 router, one can be updated and the other can't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The latest firmware only works on one model.

But this is an ADSL modem, not suitable for cable. You need a so-called cable modem with a WAN port as opposed to a modem like in this Netopia. Off the top of my head, have a look for the Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL (3 models) for around €50. It's a very common model and stocked by many retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear. I have the cable modem I want to use this as a wireless point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is it the wireless router from NTL that you have?

I was trying to do this as well. Apartently the only soluion is to buy the wireless cable router from NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bmaxi wrote: »
    Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear. I have the cable modem I want to use this as a wireless point.

If you have just a cable modem you'll need to buy a WAN router and NOT an ADSL modem. The cable modem presents as ethernet.
    You can pick up a decent WAN/ethernet router with a firewall and wifi for about E50 or so.

I just did exactly that a few weeks ago...I got a Logilink (never heard of them but hey) WLAN/AP/Router for E50. Look around...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

bmaxi wrote: »

If you just want it as an access point, it will work fine for this.

Just give the Wan side an IP address of 0.0.0.0, give the Lan side an address on your local Lan. Connect one of the Lan ports to the cable modem.

Setup DHCP.

That's more or less it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

gerryo wrote: »
    If you just want it as an access point, it will work fine for this.

Just give the Wan side an IP address of 0.0.0.0, give the Lan side an address on your local Lan. Connect one of the Lan ports to the cable modem.

Setup DHCP.

That's more or less it.

Thanks, but how would I do that? I get lost in the jargon.

Advertisement