Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crashed in scotchhall carpark

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

just wondering if anyone finds scotch hall multi storey very slippy when wet. I went in on wed evening and the back slipped out and I hit the corner of the wall :mad:, before anyone says I was goin fast I was barely moving has anyone come across this. The manager said its not slippy...... BULL%#*T

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Agree with you regarding the interior ramps. You can feel the tyres giving away even at a crawl in the dry. Haven't noticed the surface to be that bad though I haven't driven around it that much. Tend to take it at snails pace in car parks though as there's always car reversing out and people appearing out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Yeah agree even at a crawl you can hear the tyres screeching as they slip. Very poor quality surfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I had a nervous situation in there when it first opened up. I was driving up one of the ramps in the multistorey when someone was stopped at the top waiting to go into a space. So i was stopped halfway up on the ramp. I felt my car sliding backwards :o...Thankfully there wasn't anyone behind but it took a while before the tyres gripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MOB1

Yea that happened me aswell before on the ramp. The floor can't be safe to drive on maybe to walk on. I'm left with no car now over the christmas and a big bill unless scotch hall will do something for me with the fixing of the car. Does anyone what happens in that situation???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Asked about this to friends at a meeting in town. A few said they noticed the same problem.

This is one law suit just waiting to happen!

Can't say they weren't warned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MOB1 wrote: »
    Yea that happened me aswell before on the ramp. The floor can't be safe to drive on maybe to walk on. I'm left with no car now over the christmas and a big bill unless scotch hall will do something for me with the fixing of the car. Does anyone what happens in that situation???

As it happened on their property, they have "a legal duty of care" towards those on their property.
    Its back to a solicitor see about the bill.

Cheers for that. Well its looking that way the manager wasn't a bit nice and tried to say that the screeching only sounds like its slippy..... haha what a load of s~%t so i asked him to explain how my car hit the wall and he couldn't, tried to put it on me but its on cctv and that doesn't lie he can see that i was only crawlin. Has anyone ever damaged their car in this way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have on a number of occasions lost traction on the first up ramp before you get your ticket, but only when its actually wet. As recently as last week there was a car ahead of me in the queue who lost grip and came back about 2 or 3 feet before they regained control, again in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'd ask to get a copy of that CCTV footage before it "disappears".

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Yep, I've noticed this aswell. very slippy surface for tyres. Even when its dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Also, just in addition it might be worthwhile contacting either the Drogheda Leader or the Drogheda Independent to see if they might be interested in posting a story about it, as it seems that your not the only one to have this happen to you and the people of Drogheda need to be kept safe.

Yea it was wet when it happened. Well I'm gonna ask for the footage but they prob won't give it to me, once I've reported an incident they have to keep it don't they? I don't know whats gonna happen I'll prob have to claim on my insurance and chase the money but don't wanna claim 5,500 on the insurance its bad enough

Well delly was thinking of that but wanna talk to a solicitor first and see what they say but I might go down that route alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'd ask to get a copy of that CCTV footage before it "disappears".

+1

It's amazing how these things seem to disappear when you need them.

yea it is alright yea sure i'll trip down and ask them its prob gone already knowing them.

yea isn't it sure its prob gone already but sure i'll take a trip down and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not been in the car park in question but have worked in one before and just came in to ask a question. Are the surfaces where this tyre slipping and subsequent collision happenned coated with anything? Is there a paint or rubberised coating on the concrete?
    I only ask because with certain types of this product there can be problems with rubber tyres especially in the wet. Any coating applied (which is usually epoxy resin) needs to have an additive used with it to aid grip...this would be especially important on ramped areas. Textured substrate can help but with the coating applied, the grip may be lowered, so it really needs to have the additive applied.
    The MSCP we did in Dublin, there was a problem on one of the floors where there was no grip additive used...it was noticed during the snagging period and re-coated...I'm just wondering if the same could have happened in Scoth Hall (either by design or accidentally)and if this isn't what is causing the problem...

no your right the floor was painted with that rubber based floor paint. i think it should have some sort of grit on it aswell. It wasn't always painted but some of the shops below were getting dampness and leaks so thats when they covered the floor. I agree with you it should have some kind of grit on it but I never seen any other car park with grit and they're never as slippy

Advertisement