Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H.Samuel Jewellers

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Citizen eco drive ladies watch... in uk £169... in liffey valley €250
    Apparently the difference is accounted for because "they have to fly them" in (each watch must get its own seat) Should be €191.18 when currency and vat rates are taken into account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

9ct White Gold 1/4 Carat Diamond Stud Earrings - N Ire price... £199 (€208 today)

Down here..... well its either €350 or €399......

The carraige costs on these baby's (a good 0.01kg) must be something else!!!!!!! Thankfully I managed to get them posted over for 50p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

minikin wrote: »
    Apparently the difference is accounted for because "they have to fly them" in (each watch must get its own seat) Should be €191.18 when currency and vat rates are taken into account.

another clueless moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sekhon_boy

The one branch in Lify velly Same h.samuel jewelers are crap and rip off people, i will never go their again and i will prefer to go local jewelers. I bought engagement ring and than i bought my wedding rigs there, after year and half 2 diamonds fell off from the engagement ring and i lost the receipt. They will not check there record and trying show off as they sell millions of rings each day and they cannot track my item. I consulted other jewelers and they all said it is manufecturing fault and they should fix it without any charges. Interesting thing is manager recognized that the ring was sold from there shop but she cannot check her records because it will take too long for them to trace it. Anybody who has little bit sense can think how long will it take for three people to trace one or 2 weeks transactions for one single item. And i think anybody who visit there Lify valley shop can see how long the que they have evryday in recession time that they cannot find a record of their sale. Anyway i will fix it somewhere as i do not have proof of purchase, but i think it was not fair when they said yes they sold it to me, but they cannot do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Should be €191.18 when currency and vat rates are taken into account.
    If you owned a shop would you look at what shops in nearby countries charge for items, convert using XE.com adjust for VAT and use this as the basis for all your own pricing?

Because that is what you are inferring that shop should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You dont know what you are talking about. Read a bit more of this board and you will see there is so much more to it than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

While the OP might not be taking into account details like vat and transport costs, H Samuel are huge rip off merchants. Went in to buy zippo flints around Christmas last and was told the pack cost €6.60 lol. Walked up to Foxes off Dame street and got them for 50c for exactly the same pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A jewellers is the last place I would go shopping for flints, batteries, watch straps etc. The dogs on the street know they operate on ridiculous margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butterfly21

SEKHON BOY sure they never had to fix it for free for you anyway becase there is only 12 months manufactures guarantee on jewellery. u think just because u pay whatever 1 or 2 grand for a ring you expect them to run to your feet whenever something wrong happens to the ring??? while you dont even bother keeping the receipt why should they bother looking for it for ya??? they dont have to!!!!!! come down from the clouds into the real world!!!!

rubadub wrote: »
    A jewellers is the last place I would go shopping for flints, batteries, watch straps etc. The dogs on the street know they operate on ridiculous margins.
    true enought bout batteries and straps its a rip off in any high street jewellers!!!

this is most stupidest thing i've ever heard!!! ok so u want uk prices to be converted to euro simply using the conversion rate?? sure why not check out australian prices or chinese and just simply convert it into euro??? UK minimum wage for over 22s is 6.50 euro an hour and about 5.50 euro for above 18s!!! so its only normal that the prices are higher here than in uk you moron!!!we have higher standard of living here!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

this is most stupidest thing i've ever heard!!! ok so u want uk prices to be converted to euro simply using the conversion rate?? sure why not check out australian prices or chinese and just simply convert it into euro??? UK minimum wage for over 22s is 6.50 euro an hour and about 5.50 euro for above 18s!!! so its only normal that the prices are higher here than in uk you moron!!!we have higher standard of living here!!

A fair price to account for additional expenses is acceptable, extortion isn't. I would accept a 25% increase as being more than enough. We don't have a higher standard of living here, we have a higher cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    A fair price to account for additional expenses is acceptable, extortion isn't. I would accept a 25% increase as being more than enough. We don't have a higher standard of living here, we have a higher cost of living.

which also means a much higher cost of doing business here which begins the circle again. Why can't people understand this !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

You dont know what you are talking about. Read a bit more of this board and you will see there is so much more to it than that.
    Maybe there is more to it, but not 67% more to it.
    This forum is amazing. There are so many apologists for rip off prices in the Republic.:mad:
    I know a lot of them maybe have businesses to run, and don't want people publishing Northern prices on this forum.
    Look, things are difficult economically and that is too bad, but price apologists keep away please:).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Trampoline

You've taken a bit of abuse in this thread and not all of it is fair because I can see how you'd be surprised at this comparison!

However, the RRP on all Citizen watches sold in Ireland through Irish jewellers is set to be competitive vs. the UK (i.e. take off UK VAT, convert at prevailing rate, then add on Irish VAT). In addition, Citizen watches sold through Irish jewellers have a high quality wooden jewellery box that isn't available from UK-based retailers (who buy centrally in the UK - the UK doesn't use this giftbox).

If you are looking for to compare prices between Citizen watches sold in Ireland and those in the UK, do it with an Irish based jeweller and I'm sure the comparison will be favourable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

And on the 3rd post, qualified to call folk morons?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement