Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do we speak with one voice?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

in ireland one can differentiate betwwen different accents,dublin,cork,north,west etc.well at least i can anyway.but when i go abroad to france say or holland ,i just hear a french accent or dutch accent.do outsiders here our different regional accents as one catch-all irish accent?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

wudangclan wrote: »
    in ireland one can differentiate betwwen different accents,dublin,cork,north,west etc.well at least i can anyway.but when i go abroad to france say or holland ,i just hear a french accent or dutch accent.do outsiders here our different regional accents as one catch-all irish accent?

Yes we definitely sound the same to outsiders. This english guy came up to me on holiday and was like 'ooohh say thirty three'. I was like 'Thirty three', and he was really disappointed. He said 'I thought you all say tirty tree'. I said 'It's some parts of dublin that say that'. And the stupid lad was bewildered. he said 'What are you on about, all Irish people have the same accent'.
    I then said to him 'Right so do you think liverpool and manchester sound the same then?' and he finally got it.
    I would be nicer about him in this post but he was an aboulute w*nker. I said something about eastenders and he said 'do you have eastenders in irealnd?',(turns to his other english friend and laughs), "Do you have televisions in Ireland? Hurgh hurgh hurgh." One of those ones who think we all live in caves. The only nasty english person I ever met though to be fair.

So back on topic, I think you only notice the difference in accents in your own country. Or maybe of a country that you hear their accents alot on tv(america and england) I certainly wouldnt be able to tell french accents apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I only use the one myself.

Yes we definitely sound the same to outsiders. This english guy came up to me on holiday and was like 'ooohh say thirty three'. I was like 'Thirty three', and he was really disappointed. He said 'I thought you all say tirty tree'. I said 'It's some parts of dublin that say that'. And the stupid lad was bewildered. he said 'What are you on about, all Irish people have the same accent'.
    I then said to him 'Right so do you think liverpool and manchester sound the same then?' and he finally got it.

what the hell are you on about?

first line you say, "we all sound the same"
    then you give a story where the english guy recognised that we don't all sound the same?

and a liverpool accent can easily be distinguished from anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

I only use the one myself.

you don't even have a telephone voice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

you don't even have a telephone voice?
    You mean like Stephen Hawking?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

what the hell are you on about?

first line you say, "we all sound the same"
    then you give a story where the english guy recognised that we don't all sound the same?

and a liverpool accent can easily be distinguished from anywhere else.

ehhhh???? What the hell are you on about? :rolleyes:

He said we did all sound the same to him to him.

After I pointed out a million times to him, using his own country as an example, he conceded that there could be different accents in the one country(England) He still couldnt tell an irish accent apart.

he does have a rather weird accent.
    what part of england is he from anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would be nicer about him in this post but he was an aboulute w*nker. I said something about eastenders and he said 'do you have eastenders in irealnd?',(turns to his other english friend and laughs), "Do you have televisions in Ireland? Hurgh hurgh hurgh." One of those ones who think we all live in caves. The only nasty english person I ever met though to be fair.

So back on topic, I think you only notice the difference in accents in your own country. Or maybe of a country that you hear their accents alot on tv(america and england) I certainly wouldnt be able to tell french accents apart.

I have always been able to tell the difference between accents, but since living here I can now pin point them to the nearish location.

I also know that the Irish have TV and do not live in Caves (Not insode the Pale anyway;))

I'm pretty good with US accents, mainly because I work with a load of yanks, i was very disappointed this week though when i met a colleague from Texas for the first time. He didn;t have a cowbay hat on, or even wwear cowboy boots, despite sounding just like JR Ewing:)

I used to be able to tell the different french accents as well, but it is a lot harder, i guess because my French is a bit ropey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

yeah of course you can hear that you're speaking with different accents. When i first came over here(no not it the dirty way you mofos think!!!) I went to kerry and I couldn't understand a bloody word they said because of their thick muck savage accent.... I mean foreigners will probably not be able to tell if someone is from cork or dublin or Kerry but you can definitively hear a difference in the different accents.

ehhhh???? What the hell are you on about? :rolleyes:

He said we did all sound the same to him to him.

my point is that if we all sounded the same, he would have heard "tirty tree"..

but because we didn't all sound the same to him, he heard "thirty three"..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

Every nation have different regional acents eg the South of France they speek slower than the north it's when the differences are pointed out you might start to notice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think it's more of a case of the language you speak, although noone's going to suggest Jamaicans sound like the English.. I think that's when it becomes more of a dialect thing.

Kold wrote: »
    I think it's more of a case of the language you speak, although noone's going to suggest Jamaicans sound like the English.. I think that's when it becomes more of a dialect thing.

when it comes to english speaking places ,you can pretty much tell them apart,jamaica like you say or different parts of england and us
    (although i couldnt say what part of austraila someone was from and thats even having watched plenty of aussie television) but when it comes to other nations i'll just hear for example a genric italian or german accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

When i first came to ireland (from oz) you all sounded the same.

Now i can distinguish most of the accents and place them. Same as i could do in australia.

Now im in germany and im beginning to pick up when theres a non hamburg person about. Most notably anybody bavarian or further south, and the old berliners have a weird accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭boring_job_guy

he does have a rather weird accent.
    what part of england is he from anyway?

he's from essex but he speaks with an american accent, the pretentious cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Yeah! After living a while in Paris I really started to hate the French language because it just sounded so... dirty!! But then I started meeting other Frenchies and they sounded lovely. I was thinking in the beginning "I actually HATE the French accent and language!". But then I realised it was like someone coming to Dublin and saying "god I hate the Irish accent!!!":pac:

Ofcourse thanks to TV we can tell different American accents...
    And the UK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He does a great impersonation of Microsoft Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I understand that non-English speakers, when learning English, can't tell which English speaking country a person is from. Of course, the Belgian who told me could be telling a pack of lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I used to be able to tell the different french accents as well, but it is a lot harder, i guess because my French is a bit ropey.
    Hee hee, I'm getting pretty good at this :) There's a hell of a difference in the accent of someone from Paris and someone from, say, Nice.

I think it's remarkable how many different accents there are within Ireland, given that it's a tiny country!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Can tell a few Dutch accents apart thanks to my ex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

You should come to Limerick. There are at least four Limerick accents depending on which parish you're from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

They tend to hear the one accent. I had to explain and demonstrate the differant accents in order for a group of foreign friends to understand. They were in cork, dublin and galway... they didn't notice the differance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I can tell the difference between the Moate and Horseleap accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Kya1976 wrote: »
    I went to kerry and I couldn't understand a bloody word they said because of their thick muck savage accent....

careful now ;)

us kerry folk are very sensitive

Advertisement