Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Forum

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

"Yeah. I've allowed a few threads through in the past year that dealt with aspects and features on his show and they were manageable enough.

But I think a general thread like this will descend into a nightmare for us to moderate.

Welcome to the Radio forum lovinit, please have a read of the forum charter if you haven't done so already. Ray Foley threads cause a lot of grief here in the forum."

First off monkeyfudge, I have read the charter.

I took the quote above off the ray foley show forum (the one you closed). I thought boards was all about freedom of speech. I understand that people can't be liabless on your website as that may have implementations on boards.ie, but surely people can discuss shows like foleys if they want to?

Or, are you guys just bowing down because he asked you too? Boards shouldn't be about favouritism to one presenter over the other, I mean I've read alot of these forums over the last couple of weeks and everyone (or every show) seems to get a slating from time to time.

What is it that makes that particular show so taboo? Are you guys related?

If there are other reasons as to why we can't talk about Foley and gang, then I apologise for bringing it up.

Regards,
    McScrub
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

If other presenters come on here and don't like what they read, if they contact you guys will you put a ban on people talking about them too?

As an administrator isn't it your job to take out anything that's defamatory or slanderous? Does that mean that you're a bit lazy by banning certain topics altogether just because they get a "bit messy"?

I don't mean to sound like a moody D**K, but I am genuinely curious.

McScrub.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sorry, what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

mcscrub wrote: »
    I thought boards was all about freedom of speech.

Ahhh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

All publicity is good so I thinks its a case of not wanting to give the guy any air time.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Ahhh, no.

Why? are things reallly that bad on the foley front? or is boards not about freedom of speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

This doesn't belong in a thread about Ray D'arcy by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm moving this to the Feedback forum as it's to do with forum policy.

There is a good deal of history with this particular presenter. I'll try and summarise it. He did originally have an account here on boards and had a real hard time with people being critical of his work. He expected the moderators to be there 24 hours a day to deal with any negitive comments directed towards him.

He was eventually site banned as the SMods felt that him encouraging his listeners to sign up on internet forums to promote his show was a form of spamming. He didn't take this well and went on to say some unpleasant things about boards.ie and it's owners and users live on his show. He also went on to make fabrications about the moderators in his blog. This naturally generated quite a bit of bad blood towards him on boards.ie and as such any time a thread was started it would turn very aggressive, very fast.

He has got a lot of fans, he does play to his demographic well in fairness to him. But these fans then don't take kindly to people being harshly critical of him. So it just turns a huge amount of work for the moderators to try and keep this civil and to make sure nothing defamatory is said. And when you realise we were doing all that work for someone who really doesn't think all that highly of us I hope you can understand the course of action we took in curtailing threads about that presenter and his show.

No doubt other posters will jump down your throat for thinking there should be freedom of speech on a privately owned discussion forum... But I agree with you... I think people should be allowed to discuss any radio programme they wish.

You'll notice I have actually lightened this up this year and have allowed a few threads through if they have been about a specific aspect of his programming. But I think a general thread like the one that was locked:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444126

Where the opening post is essentially just someone saying 'He's great' is just an invitation to a flame war.

I'm completely open to feedback on this policy though and I've been meaning to talk to my fellow mods about dropping this particular part from the charter now... as I think a enough time has passed since the issues we had with him... although now I've gone and reminded everyone... ha..

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Sabotage wrote: »
    All publicity is good so I thinks its a case of not wanting to give the guy any air time.

true, but are we not publicising all good and bad shows by talking about the in a radio forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was going to suggest all "personality driven" threads be locked but then realised there would be little left to post about.

This doesn't belong in a thread about Ray D'arcy by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm moving this to the Feedback forum as it's to do with forum policy.

There is a good deal of history with this particular presenter. I'll try and summarise it. He did originally have an account here on boards and had a real hard time with people being critical of his work. He expected the moderators to be there 24 hours a day to deal with any negitive comments directed towards him.

He was eventually site banned as the SMods felt that him encouraging his listeners to sign up on internet forums to promote his show was a form of spamming. He didn't take this well and went on to say some unpleasant things about boards.ie and it's owners and users live on his show. He also went on to make fabrications about the moderators in his blog. This naturally generated quite a bit of bad blood towards him on boards.ie and as such any time a thread was started it would turn very aggressive, very fast.

He has got a lot of fans, he does play to his demographic well in fairness to him. But these fans then don't take kindly to people being harshly critical of him. So it just turns a huge amount of work for the moderators to try and keep this civil and to make sure nothing defamatory is said. And when you realise we were doing all that work for someone who really doesn't think all that highly of us I hope you can understand the course of action we took in curtailing threads about that presenter and his show.

No doubt other posters will jump down your throat for thinking there should be freedom of speech on a privately owned discussion forum... But I agree with you... I think people should be allowed to discuss any radio programme they wish.

You'll notice I have actually lightened this up this year and have allowed a few threads through if they have been about a specific aspect of his programming. But I think a general thread like the one that was locked:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444126

Where the opening post is essentially just someone saying 'He's great' is just an invitation to a flame war.

I'm completely open to feedback on this policy though and I've been meaning to talk to my fellow mods about dropping this particular part from the charter now... as I think a enough time has passed since the issues we had with him... although now I've gone and reminded everyone... ha..

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Thanks for the reply, I think I agree....I know you're proabably now going to lock this, but...from this response...he sounds like a complete tool!! Keep him locked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

mcscrub wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I think I agree....I know you're proabably now going to lock this, but...from this response...he sounds like a complete tool!! Keep him locked!

Ha. I'm hoping now that he's more successful he's a little bit more mature and not quite so concerned with people saying nasty things about him on the internet.

Advertisement