Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Serpentwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist

Options
  • 19-12-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I had the first book of the series in my possession for years but only last week did I actually pick it up and start to read it. I expected a Lord Of The Rings rip-off but this book is nothing like that. It has very good character development, very vivid imagery and a very good pace.

I am not sure however if Shadow Of A Dark Queen is the first part to a big story or just the first book in a series. The reason I ask is because normally with sequels you see the story lose pace and become a little stagnant. So my question is to anyone who has read all the books in the Serpentwar saga: are the other books in the series worth reading or should I not bother?

also I like Feist's writing style. can anyone recommend any other books by him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

ive read nearly every book by Feist,he is an excellent fantasy writer!if u want to start at the beginning then id recommend Magician!his very first book and is basically where it all starts!

The serpant war books include charactors like Pug,Thomas,James and others that you might be wondering why they are who they are, Magican introduces you to them and you learn why they are who they are,fantstic book!the serpant war saga books are excellent,each one of them are well written and keep your interest but in order to appreciate the charactors and story fully you need to read Magician and you wont be disappointed!:)

The Serpentwar Saga is my favourite Feist stuff, it really is worth the read. Personally I thought the last of the Series was the weakest, the ending felt rushed and I was left hoping for a little more information on what happens some of the characters (touched on in some of his later novels).

Please don't let that deter you, it really is an excellent series, the second book in particular (Rise of a Merchant Prince) is IMHO outstanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, serpentwar saga was fantastic. I stopped reading feist years ago, but the early books were pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

You should defo read Magician, then Silverthorn, then A Darkness at Sethanon (his best book imho). Then start the serpentwar saga. The later stuff, Talon of the Silver Hawk is alot better than I would have expected for such a long series of work on the same topic.
    Also, don't discount Farie Tale, a genuinely spooky book!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I thought the Serpent War saga was excellent, with "Rise of a Merchant Prince" a highlight. The ending to some of it does indeed seem a little rushed, but on the other hand it does set up storylines that are still in play in the most recent "Conclave of Shadows"/"Dark War" trilogies. The whole 20-book series is, on some level, one giant story although each trilogy/series can be read by itself.

I'd strongly recommend the "Empire" trilogy, which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts. It's set on the rift-world of Kelewan and has an Oriental flavour to it with a more political bent than the Midkemia tomes. Very good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend the "Empire" trilogy, which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts. It's set on the rift-world of Kelewan and has an Oriental flavour to it with a more political bent than the Midkemia tomes. Very good stuff.

+1 ... An excellent and most enjoyable read. Highly recommended, followed closely by the Serpentwar & Riftwar series.

Should this be in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy forum ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

trout wrote: »
    Should this be in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy forum ?
    I'd be happy to take it, if wanted. The books are literature still though!

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd be happy to take it, if wanted. The books are literature still though!

True, but this might have a big following. +1 from me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have a few books on the way to me now, however none of them are by Feist. I think that after I finish these ones I'll start again on Feist with Magician and probably read that trilogy and go from there to finishing the Serpentwar Saga.

I had a feeling that all Feists books were based in the same place but I didn't know it was all one big series. I am pleaseantly surprised that I could start in the middle of the series and not be saying "wtf! what are they talking about?" instead I was able to start here and read it as a standalone series.

I look forward to reading ore of his stuff. Going by this book, and the comments in the thread, I am in for a good read.

Advertisement