Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What metal genre is this??

• 19-12-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im not well up on all of the different Metal genres so im wondering if anyone can recommend a genre/bands for me to look into.

I listen to metalcore (I think ;)) ...KSE,All that remains etc but am looking for something different.

In a nutshell im looking for Arch Enemy type music but without the growling/satan impersonations.

From what ive heard of Arch Enemy they are awesome but I hate that type of singing.

Any ideas....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

There are 2 main metal genres to acquiant yourself with... Good Metal and Bad Metal. Check out the Good one, don't waste your time on the Bad... ;)

With myspace and youtube et al these days you can try out listening to any kind of style.

For starters try going to a site like the bnr metal pages (www.bnrmetal.com). Sites like this have little biogs and links for hundreds of bands.... So start there and see what you lik/don't like yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Thanks finbarr.

Ive spent some time sifting through the unlimited amount of info but just cant nail down a genre so I like.

I hear what your saying with a "good" and "bad" genres but im just looking to put a name on it so I can then search for it :-)

I found another band that sounded promising.... Carcass but then the singer started to growl and ruined the song....doh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

ohhhhhh badmouthing carcass? noooooooo!!!! ahh I know it's only opinion but still.. carcass rule! heh OP I am the opposite of yourself, I HATE nice clean vocals (unless we are talking Faith no more which I do like) - the auld filthy vocals of carcass, death or obituary - yeahhhhh :) anyways, good luck with the search!

Thats the thing I love the music just the singing ruins it for me. Maybe il download a tool for removing it :cool:

What im looking for is Arch enemy/Carcass type music with KSE singers or even Hetfield voice.

There are wayyyyyyyyyy to many metal genres...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If you want a heavier sound, without growling vocals, then Nevermore should be right up your alley:

I think with the heavier vocal styles, it's something you need to give time. I used to hate it, and with some singers, I still do hate it. But with bands like Opeth, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Nile, I really appreciated the style more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Opeth, Opeth and Opeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Opeth are incredible, Isolation Years, everything off Damnation, Fair Judgement etc are classics, though the death growls spoil it a bit for me, however in some songs they suit the mood, for example The Grand Conjuration, as its about Satan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Needs more Wintersun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

go give earth crisis a listen now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuG4U4u-ORM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

I looked up all of the bands mentioned and I think Karl Hungus got the closest with Nevermore. They sound really good.

I found a band called Devine Heresy which I quiet liked maybe thats cause they sound a bit like KSE and the singer is a dead ringer for him too :D

Listened to a bit of Opeth and of the 5 or 6 videos I listened to im totally confused. Every song sounded like a completely different band. Might give them a chance though cause a lot of people seem to think they are really good.

I also found Demon Hunter who are apparently a Christian Metal band.... :D just when I thought the metal genres couldnt get any more confusing.

Cant see the priest playing this one in mass though..

Demon Hunter

Devine Heresy

thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Last FM is brilliant for finding new bands, Just type in the name of a band you do know and like, and it will list similar bands to them.

www.lastfm.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what did you make of earth crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When you say Arch Enemy without the growling, what springs to mind is power metal in general.

Maybe some Blind Guardian?

Not a massive fan of the genre and am therefore out of suggestions, but I'm sure others here are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Blind Guardian are fantastic, truly amazing to see them live too. I get the sense that the OP is after heavier bands, Death Metal without the growling vocal style. Though on the power side of things, Iced Earth has some fantastically heavy stuff:

One thing I'd really suggest is Control Denied:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

How about Sevendust they are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

A few suggestions I have are Nevermore, Opeth, Death, Iced Earth, Children of Bodom, Evergrey and Nocturnal Rites. Post back if any of those take your fancy and I should be able to give you some more suited to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Have you give Grave Digger a chance? You might like 'em ... maybe a bit too much old school

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the main reason I love metal so much is cause I play guitar so im always looking for bands that have great guitarists.

To give you an idea of my favourite bands to date

Metallica,
    Machine Head,
    Pantera,
    Iron Maiden,
    KSE,
    Bullet For my Valentine
    Alice In Chains,
    All that Remains,
    Heaven Shall Burn,
    Caliban,

Most of which are either trash,Metalcore or grungy. I think the common factor with most of these are cool guitar riffs/solos.

The only Power metal/Cheesy metal I like is Iron Maiden only because of the guitar. I really dont like keyboards at all in Metal except for Firewind cause Gus G is awesome.

I looked up the bands you guys suggested ...

Death - Not mad on singing but love the guitar drums etc. Will defo look into these
    Evergrey - Sound quite good - not mad on keyboards.
    Nocturnal Rites - Wasnt mad on.
    Children Of Bodem - Like the guitar playing but not mad on singer or keyboard stuff.
    Earth Crisis - Reminded me of limp Bizkit a bit.
    Blind Guardian - good but a bit too much on the power metal side

keep them coming guys and happy christmas!!

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Earth Crisis - Reminded me of limp Bizkit a bit

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭nehpets5555

You say you like metalcore etc, so i'd suggest Trivium.
    nevermind the people who jump on the hate bandwagon without even listening them.

If you love guitar riffs you have to check out In Flames they opened a whole new world of riffage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

You say you like metalcore etc, so i'd suggest Trivium.
    nevermind the people who jump on the hate bandwagon without even listening them.

Ascendancy is quite a good album, some great tracks I'd have to agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Stev_o wrote: »
    If you love guitar riffs you have to check out In Flames they opened a whole new world of riffage

gotta agree, In Flames rock

Check out Parkway Drive aswell they'd be a good band to get listening to once you get over the vocals

you may or you may not like depcapitated,check then out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Children Of Bodem - Like the guitar playing but not mad on singer or keyboard stuff.

Try a bit of Sinergy. Same guitarists, no keyboards, don't know how you are on female vox though.

Arsis and (early) In Flames may be worth checking out, still have harsh vocals but less so than most others. Kiuas have some great riffs and melodies but also have keyboards (though they're not quite as prominent as in Children of Bodom) and are somewhat power metal-y.

To be honest, if you're looking for quality bands that play those sort of riffs and such you're going to have to get used to growls and other harsh vocal styles. Karl Hungus posted a good thread here that might help you in that regard.

Advertisement