Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this an offshore account?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

A relative of mine owns a property in Spain and another in Ireland. He has in the region of €10,000 in a savings account there. It has only been there a few months, however I am wondering if this is considered to be an offshore account?

I have no clue when it comes to this type of thing and we dont want to be doing anything illegal so any information would be really helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Nothing wrong with it as long as he declares any interest income from it in his Form 11 (annual income tax return). He should be filling one in for the rental income anyway.

I'm not certain but I've feeling there's a requirement to declare any new foreign deposit accounts in the Form 11 too. You just give the details one year and after that you just declare the income.

Generally, there's nothing with a bank account anywhere as long as you're not hiding it. Particularly anywhere in the EU (like Spain). If it was in Cayman Islands or Bermuda or Jersey we might have to start worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Thanks for that, they are soooooo not the dodgy politician type! :D They will probably transfer the funds back home so.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

There isn't really any need to do that. If they own property in Spain it's probably convenient to have a bank account for rent and or expenses relating to it.

Advertisement