Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I still entitled to free tuition fee's?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Apologies if this seems a bit of a stupid question or anything but I'm slightly confused at the min!

Ok so I did the leaving cert in 2007, went on to study engineering teaching in U.L. However after just one year decided it wasnt for me and dropped out.

After that summer, I took a place on an NCEF Certificate in Exercise & Fitness course which is for one year and is accredited by U.L (not on the official undergraduate list of courses) and It has to be fully paid for privately to the NCEF. (National Council for Exercise & Fitness)

I'll be finished that in March, and just yesterday applied through CAO to a degree course in UCD. I know have enough points for the course from my leaving cert so should get in handy enough.

My only problem is that Im unsure as to my eligibility for free fees? Obviously the registration would have to be paid, but what about tuition fees?

So basically I completed 1 year of a hons degree course in U.L, dropped out, and now I am applying to a 3 year hons degree in UCD. If I do have to pay tuition fee's then I doubt I'll be heading for Dublin as I cant afford that!!

Could anybody help clear this up for me please?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You will have to pay full fees for your first year in UCD. If you can prove that you didnt attend lectures and officially dropped out after 1st year, if you are registerd in UL for the second year you will have to pay full fees for year 2 (or at least the first semester) After that the government will cover your tuition ..... for now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭lifelonglufc

Hmmm right thanks for the quick reply!

I actually dropped out after the first semester of first year! Dont think that makes a difference tho?!

And is it not that the government pay for 4 years of a degree course?

Shat anyway, 1st year fee's...any idea what they are for sports management?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well if you dropped out after the first semeSter you should only have to pay 50% of the year + reg fees. You will need a letter of confirmatiom from UL stating what date you dropped out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

And is it not that the government pay for 4 years of a degree course?

The government will pay for a degree course in it's entirety e.g if you went on to do medicine you'd get 5 years paid for (having used up one year already). In this case you've already used a year (or half) of your course allocation whatever the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Go straight into 2nd year!

Another problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭lifelonglufc

BrightEyes wrote: »
    Go straight into 2nd year!

May i ask how that is even possible?! How do you skip first year when starting a new course?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I very much doubt that there will be free fees much into the future in any case, so the point is moot.

Advertisement