Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palit ATI Radeon HD4870 Sonic Dual Edition 1GB compatibility

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What size is your psu? What are the rest of your specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sqauk

Thanks for replying-

more specs-

PSU- 600W
    CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    System RAM: 2.0 GB
    Windows XP Home Edition
    DirectX 9,
    currently using a GEForce 8500 GT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Sqauk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need to know if this graphics card- Palit ATI Radeon HD4870 Sonic Dual Edition
    (http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=969)

will be compatible with my mother board- ASRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2
    (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-SATA2)

Any ideas?

I don't want to overclock, just need to know if it'll work and won't fry anything!?

Your motherboard only has a x4 pci express slot.

You would need a full pci express x16 slot to run the card properly.

I would consider picking up a new motherboard as well.

You can pick up plenty of motherboards for around €100 or less that would do the job nicely and still support DDR2 ram.

Hhmm, will it still work though? I could get a new motherboard later, just want to know if anything will explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Sqauk wrote: »
    Hhmm, will it still work though? I could get a new motherboard later, just want to know if anything will explode!

If the card will physicallly fit in the slot then yes it *PROBABLY* will work. I have a P35 chipset motherboard that supports xfire (badly) with a x16 and a x4 pci express ports.

So I don't see why it shouldn't, but running the card at x4 speed will severely curtail it's performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, Your motherboard has only a 4x Pci-e slot which means you'd not get full use of a card in the Pci-e slot. Most modern boards come with 16x slots. Better to opt for an Agp 8x card like 3650 or 3850 Agp

Thanks for the advice!

I've actually tried this card with my system, but there was a fault somewhere, lots of graphics spikes when running games, everything else ok. I've been advised that this is probably due to a memory fault in the card... I'm going to get a replacement so I needed to know if it was my system that could have harmed the card.
    I'm planning on getting a new mother board, not until the new year though, basically want to run some games before that!
    Well, it seems like it should be ok, just not as good as it could be.

Thanks again, the advice is appreciated.

Advertisement