Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appalling :(

Options
  • 19-12-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭

I was very upset after reading this.

I cant believe anyone would sink to this. Its just awful :(
    THREE HORSES have had to be put down in Waterford after being mutilated in two attacks believed to be connected to the ongoing Travellers' feud in the city.

The horses each had legs almost entirely hacked off by sharp instruments, possibly swords. The attacks have been condemned by gardaí who are investigating, and by animal rights groups.

In the first incident on Wednesday night, one horse was savagely attacked in a field off the Ballybeg Link Road before 9pm.

The incident came to light via an anonymous call to the Waterford Animal Concern group. It attended the scene with gardaí and found a four-year-old horse with a leg almost entirely hacked off. The animal was still alive but was put down by a vet.

The second incident - suspected to be in retaliation - saw two horses suffer similar injuries at the Williamstown halting site, just a few miles away, at about 10am yesterday. Two seven-month-old ponies had to be put down.

One had a leg severed and a severe laceration to a second leg. The other had a similar leg injury.

"The injuries were absolutely horrendous," said Andrew Quinn of the Waterford Animal Concern group. "I've never seen anything like it before and I can't even begin to describe the type of mentality in a person that could cause them to do something like this.

"In all my years of working with animals, I've never seen such appalling instances of animal cruelty. I was still shaking for hours afterwards. I will never forget the scenes."

Alliance for Animal Rights spokesman Bernie Wright said, "We're calling for justice for these innocent animals that suffered this inhuman indescribable abuse.These incidents would make people ashamed to be human."

Gardaí in Waterford city have confirmed they believe the attacks are connected with the ongoing Travellers feud that has resulted in a spate of violent incidents since July.

They also believe two shooting incidents and a petrol-bombing are connected. Shots were fired at a house occupied by five people at The Crescent, St John's Park, at 8pm on Wednesday. Shots were later fired in the direction of another property at the Williamstown halting site, at 2.35am yesterday. Nobody was injured.

Meanwhile, a house at Briot Close, in Templar's Hall estate close to Ballybeg, had a petrol bomb thrown through its patio door at 12.30am yesterday. The house has been vacant for six weeks.

Sgt Larry Langton said anyone with information should contact Ballybricken Garda station on 051-874888.

The Travellers feud began when a bare-knuckle fight between rival families spiralled out of control. There have been violent incidents including assaults, criminal damage, arson, car-rammings and shootings since then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Ye gods :eek:

Hope those guilty get whats coming to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Seen the pic 2day of a young filly with her left hind cut from below the knee truely horrific.Its so out of hand with these feuding familes its as if the cops are powerless down here in waterford. Their not happy attacking each other its now the poor horse's:mad::mad::mad: SCUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

The same story about this - see link below if interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444347

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

reading that made me feel sick to the depths of my stomach. Literally felt that was one of the worst stories I have read in the Irish media ever.
    If they want to fight and beat the crap out of one another then let them off but to bring innocent animals into it... those people should be brought to justice. But since no one in ireland seems to actually assert the authority (im talking guards here) to confiscate animals and the small no of people who have been prosecuted, for commiting dispicable animal abuse, have gotten away with for example "a ban on keeping animals for ten years" when they have been brought through the legal system its not looking likely.

Advertisement