Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom ONe Classic UK & Ireland. Can you donwload more maps onto it somehow?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I just saw a TomTom ONe Classic satanav system for 99e, but it only says UK & Ireland. Is there any way you can download european maps after buying it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I don't know the full specs of the TomTom One Classic, but if it's the same as the V3, then you will be able to load Western Europe 1gb maps onto it. This is a scaled down version, as the full version of the Western Europe Maps is nearly 2gb, but that's too big to load onto the V3, and since it doesn't have an SD card slot, you're out of options.

TomTom are doing the 1gb version of WE maps for only 40euro atm!

It's a great unit, but I'd keep it with regional maps. If I wanted a unit to handle the full Western Europe maps, or to store multiple maps, then I'd look for a different model.
    The next model up is a TomTom One XL, which has a 4.3" screen, and I think it also has a SD slot for memory cards (you'd have to check that).

I should also have pointed out, that if you decide to download the Western Europe 1gb map, remember to backup the UK & ROI map onto your computer first!!!!

Then you will have to delete the map off your TT One, this is to provide enough room on the device for the larger map. If you don't back up your original map, you'll have to buy it again if you want it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shinjuku

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

I got TomTom ONE Classic Limited edition for 129.99 from PC WORLD (infact it was last piece left in that store) and has SD Card slot, Bluetooth. Great piece for the price.

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    I got TomTom ONE Classic Limited edition for 129.99 from PC WORLD (infact it was last piece left in that store) and has SD Card slot, Bluetooth. Great piece for the price.

If the TomTom One you bought has an SD slot, then it's either a V1 or V2. If its a V2, then you where very lucky, as these are considered the best of the One range, due to the SD slot, 1gb of internal memory and BT.

A simple way to check, althought not exact, is to check your serial number.
    If it starts with an E = original V1 and can only boot from an SD card, if Z = V2, can boot from SD card or internal (cant use both), or if Y = V3, no SD card or BT.
    Not a precise list, there are exceptions :)

Reply with your model number to double check (ie. 4N00.005).

• Advertisement

Thanks for this useful information mrmac. I will udpate you model number later today. Thanks.

mrmac wrote: »
    If the TomTom One you bought has an SD slot, then it's either a V1 or V2. If its a V2, then you where very lucky, as these are considered the best of the One range, due to the SD slot, 1gb of internal memory and BT.

A simple way to check, althought not exact, is to check your serial number.
    If it starts with an E = original V1 and can only boot from an SD card, if Z = V2, can boot from SD card or internal (cant use both), or if Y = V3, no SD card or BT.
    Not a precise list, there are exceptions :)

Reply with your model number to double check (ie. 4N00.005).

mrmac, I can see art #1S00.064 Part #5S00.64 written on the box. Can you please tell me what exactly does it mean? is it V1 or V2 model? Thanks.

Don't know what that means?
    The model number is written on the bottom of the actual unit, and should be a seven digit number, very similiar to the example I gave earlier.

Anyway, it's easy to figure if it's a V1 or V2.
    V1 can only use it's SD card, it does not have any internal memory.
    V2 can use either it's SD card or 1gb internal memory (not both).
    So, if your unit has its maps on the internal memory, without using any SD card, then it has to be a V2.

It can't be a V3 or V4, as they don't have any SD slot!

These units are very handy, as you can apply some (chough, chough ;) ) useful upgrades when your maps become outdated.

Hope that helps - happy xmas!

Don't know what that means?
    The model number is written on the bottom of the actual unit, and should be a seven digit number, very similiar to the example I gave earlier.

Anyway, it's easy to figure if it's a V1 or V2.
    V1 can only use it's SD card, it does not have any internal memory.
    V2 can use either it's SD card or 1gb internal memory (not both).
    So, if your unit has its maps on the internal memory, without using any SD card, then it has to be a V2.

It can't be a V3 or V4, as they don't have any SD slot!

These units are very handy, as you can apply some (chough, chough ;) ) useful upgrades when your maps become outdated.

Hope that helps - happy xmas!

At the bottom of the unit it says 4S00.000 and right now there is no SD card on it so its using internal memory. according to you it got to be V2. Thanks again for your insight. Happy Christmas.

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    At the bottom of the unit it says 4S00.000

Now we're getting somewhere!
    I thought it was a bit rare to find a V2 still for sale :)

The model number 4S00.000 is not the standard TT One, it's the TT One XL with Europe maps. This is the "widescreen" version of the TT One, with the newest versions TomTom have stopped calling these a One, and are just called the TomTom XL.
    These do come with an SD slot, and I think they have 1gb of internal memory as well (I'd say you can have maps on both, internal and SD card, but don't hold me to that).

Sorry, zulfikarMD, but not a rare find after all.
    Still, a very decent unit, and you did get it at a good price!

Hope this clears things up a bit for you?

Cheers & Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement

Hi mrmac and all,

Y'day i tried my new TT first time driving from Castleknock to Newcastle, South Dublin. But the maps are not up-to-date. Can someone tell me where can i get most recent maps? is it available freely? or do i need to buy from somewhere?

Thanks.
    Zulfiqar

What maps and firmware is on your device?
    You can find this out by tapping the bottom right hand side of your screen, on the right hand side you'll see the version number, tap this version number to get your device details, including map info.

DO NOT list your device ID number, just the app. numbers, and the map info.
    This will indicate if a map update is available.

What maps and firmware is on your device?
    You can find this out by tapping the bottom right hand side of your screen, on the right hand side you'll see the version number, tap this version number to get your device details, including map info.

DO NOT list your device ID number, just the app. numbers, and the map info.
    This will indicate if a map update is available.

I will get you relevant details soon. Thanks for your help as I am novice in GPS. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have to agree....mines a V2 and my mate has a V3 and although not much different, the V2 is definitely better.

Itinerary planning is fantastic. I haven't used the bluetooth on it but must try some time

Advertisement