Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade in rip offs

Options
  • 19-12-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Can we possibly get this as a sticky? Not sure how to go about doing it. Anyway,this thread is for people to post their experiences with trade in values,good or bad. Today i went into Xtravision with GTA 4 and NFL Madden 08.I was offered 15e for the two,combined!:O I found it to be a bit of a joke to be honest. Also went into Gamestop,they wouldnt take Madden as it was an American game,but at least were offering 12 for GTA,which considering,could have been worse. I dont here many good value storys for trade ins. I had one. I bought Jericho erlier in the year for e40 (collectors edition) in Zavvi. Played it for 2 weeks,brought it into Gamestop,and got 40 store credit for that then:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

How much do you want for madden 08? Its about 18 months old at this stage, worth feck all tbh?

I suppose the question is how much you would pay yourselffor Madden 08 or NHL 08?

Second, Your problem with a game like GTA4 is that a lot of shops have a fair number of copies of it, as folks finish it and then trade it. If Im a shop owner and I already have 10 copies [or whatever] Im not giving you €30 for it!

Its well documented that the second hand games market has kinda collapsed, as there are so many copies of games around I guess. What amazes me is that people want so much for their second hand games, but bitch about paying more than 15 or 20 euro for a second hand game..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Your better off putting your games on Adverts.ie than trading them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I don't think it's too surprising either, when you consider the likes of Little Big Planet was flying off shelves for €60 a few weeks ago and, if bargain alerts is to be believed, can now be got brand new for a little over €20.

I only have my PS3 a few months. I used to buy games to try them out, on the basis that if I didn't like them I could trade up to the next game for another ~€20. I learned pretty quick! I just keep an eye out for the special offers now and get games I know will give me €25 worth of enjoyment, or whatever I pay for them and then either sell them on adverts.ie or just hang onto them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

How much do you want for madden 08? Its about 18 months old at this stage, worth feck all tbh?

I suppose the question is how much you would pay yourselffor Madden 08 or NHL 08?

Second, Your problem with a game like GTA4 is that a lot of shops have a fair number of copies of it, as folks finish it and then trade it. If Im a shop owner and I already have 10 copies [or whatever] Im not giving you €30 for it!

Its well documented that the second hand games market has kinda collapsed, as there are so many copies of games around I guess. What amazes me is that people want so much for their second hand games, but bitch about paying more than 15 or 20 euro for a second hand game..
    I know what you mean,but was hoping for about 25 for both at least to be honest. GTA is being sold for between 20-30 euro for second hand still,and saw madden 08 at 30 today.Might just see if one of the lads will take them:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

greetings wrote: »
    I know what you mean,but was hoping for about 25 for both at least to be honest. GTA is being sold for between 20-30 euro for second hand still,and saw madden 08 at 30 today.Might just see if one of the lads will take them:)

That means they make a mark up of about 200%... right? Complete rip off. The cheek of them buying a game off you for 8 euro then charging 30 for it... Blame the people trading in games tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

www.gamesnash.com is a good Irish website for tradeins, they also include postage and have far better rates than shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Yesterday, got €31.50 in game for Gears of War 2, finished it in a week, no xbox live so traded it in.

Was initially offered €25, but the guy forgot to subtract it from the one I was buying, so he threw a bit extra on the gift card (since they couldnt issue cash refunds)

Fairly happy with that. I find DS trade-in offers are usually good in gamestop, since I usually have a few laying about I dont play anymore (the trade 2 get one free)

Oh, and always use adverts :)

• Trade ins have become a business boom for companies like xtravision, gamestop etc.. constantly making money off 1 copy of a game, cutting there payback in half to the customer then selling it for double. Just take the example there of gta4, the guy said he was offered 15 squid. they sell it at the moment for 30, now multiply that by the amount of times its been bought and traded in. how is there not a copyright issue here?? think about it. buy one copy but sell it as many times as they want...do they pay commission to the games companys??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Getting old this is.

If trade-in value's are so crap then whose trading in all the second-hand games we're buying? It's the kids! That's why under 18s only get credit! IT'S THE SYSTEM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Saw a guy get offered €2.40 for Condemned 2 in Gamestop. It was secondhand on the shelf for 39.99.

• CCCP^ wrote: »
    Getting old this is.

If trade-in value's are so crap then whose trading in all the second-hand games we're buying? It's the kids! That's why under 18s only get credit! IT'S THE SYSTEM!
    No offence to you, and i'm not being a smart ass, but i don't understand your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

efla wrote: »
    Yesterday, got €31.50 in game for Gears of War 2, finished it in a week, no xbox live so traded it in.

Was initially offered €25, but the guy forgot to subtract it from the one I was buying, so he threw a bit extra on the gift card (since they couldnt issue cash refunds)

Fairly happy with that. I find DS trade-in offers are usually good in gamestop, since I usually have a few laying about I dont play anymore (the trade 2 get one free)

Oh, and always use adverts :)

Consider yourself lucky.

Shops don't have to accept any kind of return because you finished it too quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

What amazes me is that people want so much for their second hand games, but bitch about paying more than 15 or 20 euro for a second hand game..

its more a combination of the store offering ~€10 for a game then selling it for €50

if they were offering a tenner and selling for €25, then i dont think youd have too many people arguing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Getting old this is.

that and who wants their kids trading games for coke and hookers?

well, i do. at least it would get him off the ****ing couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No offence to you, and i'm not being a smart ass, but i don't understand your comment.

I actually don't know what I was going on about :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 plynch90

gta4 in game 2nd hand for €40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Saw a guy get offered €2.40 for Condemned 2 in Gamestop. It was secondhand on the shelf for 39.99.
    That is day light robbery. Oh by the way,good sale on in Smyths(dont know about anywhere else)Looking at the website most games seem to be under the 40euro mark. Will be taking a spin up there,sale starts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭iMac Hunt

I got a brand new, sealed copy of Little Big Planet for Christmas by mistake (I don't own a PS3) so I took it into Xtra-vision in Clondalkin to see what trade in value I'd get as I was told to not even bother going to the likes of Game and Gamespot as they were the worst for trade ins. I had a quick look around and saw that they had a few copies on sale, brand new for €60 and €50 second hand so I thought at least I might be able to trade it in for a decent €30 second hand Xbox 360 game but when the guy at the counter checked he said he'd only be able to give €12 cash or €18 trade in!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

We're giving €24.00 for LBP at the moment.

If it's brand new and sealed ( and not a bundled version ) we will give €30.00 trade in value with your postage paid on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I was offered 10c for soul calibur 2 in smyths..

Also, Was offered €6 for Dark Cloud in smyths.. I took it as it is a very old game (rare though)

Came back the next day.. €45 pre-owned.

WTF! WTF!!! WTF"!2!!!1eleven!111

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What are you giving for Prince of Persia Gamesnash? BTW your site is down.

Adverts.ie is a good place to sell/trade games too.

silvine wrote: »
    What are you giving for Prince of Persia Gamesnash? BTW your site is down.

Adverts.ie is a good place to sell/trade games too.

We were fighting a server restart that froze midway through it. :mad:

On topic: Prince Of Persia on PS3 €27.00 on Xbox 360 €25.00 :)

And off topic - our apologies that the site is down again.

Blacknight - our host are resolving some issues with the database server at the moment.

Advertisement