Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have no style....

• 19-12-2008 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I haven't a clue.I love clothes I hate shopping,I get nervous about maybe not wearing it again or how people will think about me.

I'm often not sure what goes with what I have a huge fear of being mis matched.
    I have a sort of indie Electro girl style but I would like to start dressing a bit more mature now that iv'e started to go to clubs etc.Also I am a DJ and work heavily in the music biz so I need to look the part.I don't have much money so I need clothes which can double up for going out and just walking around

HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

could you give us an idea of your shape and colourings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

My advice (for what its worth) :-

1. if you admire an outfit on some-one ask where they bought it etc. Go to that shop and ask assistant for help. One of the only plusses to the recession is that shop assistants have an interest now in customers and I have found they are much more helpful and will give you time if they think you'll spend.

2. scour fashion mags for trends that you like - they'll always have details on where to buy etc

3. also larger stores have personal shoppers and I've used one in Debenhams - with no charge / compulsion to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

if you admire an outfit on some-one ask where they bought it etc.

...and the person you ask will be delighted, and you'll make someones day too. Not enough people do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

One good thing to do is going to a busy shopping centre, sit on a bench, and watch the people walking by. When you see an outfit you like and thing you'd wear, think about the elements and how you could put together something similar yourself. Before long you should have a bunch of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah just have a look around at what others are wearing and see what you like. Remember that it will probably take awhile to be completely happy with your wardrobe because money constraints mean that you wont be able to have enough clothes to completely change. Start with one outfit that you are really happy with and work from there.

I was the same. I wasn't happy with what I was wearing but didn't have the money to change. Eventually I just started buying the odd item of clothing that I really liked and kept adding to my wardrobe. Now I am really happy with what I wear, and didn't even spend that much because a lot of things can be worn in different ways.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to find clothes that can work for going out and for daytime wear. A lot of what I wear to work could work for going out too. Even just changing your shoes will work.

I can't be more specific than that without know more about you but the ideas in this thread should get you started anyway!

Oh, and don't worry about what people think of you or what you are wearing. Be yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Great things to have in your wardrobe are a pencil skirt, indigo-denim jeans, white shirt and white tees. You can accesorise them with whatever's in fashion at the moment, but the clothes are basic and will not go out of style.
    Magazines always have those "day to night" features with clothes that transfer well from the office to night time. Try Look, Marie Claire, and for more inspiration on current trends, Vogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

HouseHippo wrote: »
    I haven't a clue.I love clothes I hate shopping,I get nervous about maybe not wearing it again or how people will think about me.

Don't be worried. Anyone can blend in! If you like something, just go for it. Most of the time it'll work to your advantage as you'll stand out in people's memories and if it doesn't always, so what? If in a few years time you look back and go "What was I thinking?!", surely that's better than "Wow, I looked so... the same as everyone else". Plus, working in the music business you need to find your own sense of style that STANDS OUT. People remember people that stand out and as the saying goes "It doesn't matter what they say about you, as long as they spell your name right".
    I'm often not sure what goes with what I have a huge fear of being mis matched.
    I have a sort of indie Electro girl style but I would like to start dressing a bit more mature now that iv'e started to go to clubs etc.Also I am a DJ and work heavily in the music biz so I need to look the part.I don't have much money so I need clothes which can double up for going out and just walking around

HELP!

You don't have to give up your natural style just because you want to look more mature. You could try to refine it instead. I'm guessing by indie electro you wear your clothes a little bit baggy? Maybe ripped jeans? This can be refined simply to a less baggy version. Try looking at cami tops (which can be layered over other tops). If you layer them for daytime you can remove some layers and dress it up with a skirt/shorts/better trousers for evening, along with different jewellery.

Don't forget, you can always buy dressy evening tops and dress them down for daytime. Jeans can work wonders in that respect! Like this: http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Marble-Effect-Wrap-Strap-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=457010&cid=5186&clr=Print&sh=0
    Jeans and a tshirt under that with a jacket on top will work wonders for dressing it down, yet it is fine on it's own for evening.

You should also think hard about colour - what can you pull off colourwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

golden gal wrote: »
    could you give us an idea of your shape and colourings?
    I'm slim,but with nice curves, an hourglass shape I guess. I'm quite pale and tend to go a bit purple when cold

Don't be worried. Anyone can blend in! If you like something, just go for it. Most of the time it'll work to your advantage as you'll stand out in people's memories and if it doesn't always, so what? If in a few years time you look back and go "What was I thinking?!", surely that's better than "Wow, I looked so... the same as everyone else". Plus, working in the music business you need to find your own sense of style that STANDS OUT. People remember people that stand out and as the saying goes "It doesn't matter what they say about you, as long as they spell your name right".

You don't have to give up your natural style just because you want to look more mature. You could try to refine it instead. I'm guessing by indie electro you wear your clothes a little bit baggy? Maybe ripped jeans? This can be refined simply to a less baggy version. Try looking at cami tops (which can be layered over other tops). If you layer them for daytime you can remove some layers and dress it up with a skirt/shorts/better trousers for evening, along with different jewellery.

Don't forget, you can always buy dressy evening tops and dress them down for daytime. Jeans can work wonders in that respect! Like this: http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Marble-Effect-Wrap-Strap-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=457010&cid=5186&clr=Print&sh=0
    Jeans and a tshirt under that with a jacket on top will work wonders for dressing it down, yet it is fine on it's own for evening.

You should also think hard about colour - what can you pull off colourwise?
    Not so much baggy although I have 2 pairs of ripped jeans. I love check shirts and short denim skirts I love really loud coloured jeans like red and pink.I love really tight skinny denims with turned up ends.I always wear converse it's sort of a trademark.

My style Icons are people like Agyness Dean and Dee Plume,and Ellen Page in Juno. I love Hoodies and Tee's with cool slogans.

Has anyone an example of different ways to wear these things maybe funk them up for the evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Not so much baggy although I have 2 pairs of ripped jeans. I love check shirts and short denim skirts I love really loud coloured jeans like red and pink.I love really tight skinny denims with turned up ends.I always wear converse it's sort of a trademark.

My style Icons are people like Agyness Dean and Dee Plume,and Ellen Page in Juno. I love Hoodies and Tee's with cool slogans.

Has anyone an example of different ways to wear these things maybe funk them up for the evening

Something like this?
    pocket_detail_bag_shoot_main.jpg

10400680_Check_medium.jpg

10400684_Check_medium.jpg

And for fun!
    MABS9878-9884.jpg

image1xl.jpg
    River Island is great for Jeans and Slogan-ed Tee's.

Resi12 wrote: »
    Something like this?
    pocket_detail_bag_shoot_main.jpg

10400680_Check_medium.jpg

10400684_Check_medium.jpg

And for fun!
    MABS9878-9884.jpg

image1xl.jpg
    River Island is great for Jeans and Slogan-ed Tee's.
    Those shoes are awesome I must have them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Those shoes are awesome I must have them!!!

I think they are quite dear though... Try E-Bay!
    I think this topic proves you do have style you just need a push in the right direction!

All those clothes were from A-Wear and the jeans were from Asos!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

Nice suggestions from the Awear site - I'm really delighted to see their stock online now.

You could also have a look at the American Apparel website for interesting colourful ideas on wearing simple clothes. (And then buy similar pieces for cheaper again in Penneys).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joanbrent

I think everyone has a different style, and it is probably made up of many different tastes and fashions. Make it your own and make sure it's something you feel comfortable with. Read magazines such as InStyle, Lucky, and Teen Vogue/Vogue for some fashion inspiration.

Do not limit yourself to brand names, by doing this, you will only end up looking like everybody else which makes you look like you want to blend in when you actually want to stand out. Try to wear some thing different that will make you stand out, but in a fashionable, reasonable way. Scour second-hand shops and garage sales for unique garments and accessories. More than anything be yourself and that confidence will show up in your looks. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You said at one stage you like tees with cool slogans? try looking at some of the online t-shirt stores like threadless, and design by humans. Some cool stuff, and while they are starting to catch on here, you're more than likely going to have unique stuff, which you can funk up or dress down. I'll mix a cool tee from there with a waistcoat and a cool scarf with a blazer when i'm going out... works quite well (I hope!!!) Plus i can get away with it in work, so it's win-win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the converse styled heels = win!

Advertisement