Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT and current market pricing..

Options
  • 19-12-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any through the grape-vine info (as opposed total conjecture :p) on if the VRT pricing is going to be re-evaluated.
    All cars are overvalued on the VRT system, some massively:

2004 BMW 645i 50k miles -
    Buy in the UK for EUR15,000
    VRT on the Above: EUR19,000

OMSP: Allegedly EUR52k. Looking at Carzone, 52k is way off, its worth about EUR29 to 35k here. Thats about EUR10k VRT, roughly half the system's figure, based on already overpriced Irish examples.
    Statistical Code for reference: 40285306

Can we be expected to abide by a law that is extorting a 126% tax from us? A lower VRT (let alone realistic figures) would encourage more car sales, domestic or import doesnt matter as the Government would still get their tax cut, surely of all times now is the time for drastic measures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Count yourself lucky, I've a car worth 7 grand there valuing at 19k and i've to pay 7k in VRT, i've just lost my bollix:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Count yourself lucky, I've a car worth 7 grand there valuing at 19k and i've to pay 7k in VRT, i've just lost my bollix:mad:

Well you can of course contest it after the fact, with blatant over charging like this (and your example) there has to be a lot of come back.

I dont believe it, I checked again, a day later, same example car:

BMW 2004 645Ci
    OMSP: EUR35k
    VRT Due: EUR12k ish

A drop of EUR7k in VRT in one day and basically correct OMSP (drop of EUR17k)... Revenue spys on Boards.ie! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Well you can of course contest it after the fact, with blatant over charging like this (and your example) there has to be a lot of come back.

Not really Matt, s Revenue are not policed properly.
    Sure you can pay the VRY, lodge a claim but if they deny your claim, where do you go?

Answer; You're Funked - and they've already got your cash.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I dont believe it, I checked again, a day later, same example car:

BMW 2004 645Ci
    OMSP: EUR35k
    VRT Due: EUR12k ish

A drop of EUR7k in VRT in one day and basically correct OMSP (drop of EUR17k)... Revenue spys on Boards.ie! :eek:
    I've posted about the VRT of the 645 on a few different forums including boards, also sent the link to Matt Cooper. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58183716&postcount=8

Mainly because i was thinking of one and the car costs 19k euro and then the VRT last month on one was 22k - you can get one in Ireland for 35k

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    I've posted about the VRT of the 645 on a few different forums including boards, also sent the link to Matt Cooper. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58183716&postcount=8

Mainly because i was thinking of one and the car costs 19k euro and then the VRT last month on one was 22k - you can get one in Ireland for 35k

Lucky you didnt buy it then! Seller dropped £750 off the price, Currency tanked and VRT almost halved all in one month.. :eek:

There is one in Ireland advertised under 30k at the moment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

VRT almost halved all in one month.. :eek:

mmmm..have my suspicions....:rolleyes:

2004 Mercedes AMG 55( http://www.usedcarsni.com/22842262 ), your buy price in euros €27,865:)

You pay €36944 in VRT:(

has to be a law against it somewhere.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You have absolutely nothing to lose by appealing after you pay....and you will most likely win....if the MAJORITY of cars of the same spec year and model are making 7k on the open market.

Advertisement