Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you dont want or like that most girls do want or like

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

but I don't see why all women who like to care of themself should be labelled as girly or pushed into the girly sterotype.

Personally, I'd like to know why being girly is such a bad thing in the first place. This whole thread is kind of weird. Nothing wrong with being feminine, imo. If we can't be girly in tLL then where the hell can we? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Well for start I work in IT, though that is more common now, am also doing an elec eng Masters.

I hate going out to get drunk, going out to the pub is fine the odd time but I would rather relax at home with the hubby.

I hate heavy make up _ lipstick and eyeshaddow with some nailvarnish is the most I would do>

i hate clothes shopping though do it the odd time>

i did not feel maternal until i thought that we could not have kids< then all babies made me cry>

a adore science fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Fake tan, fake tan and fake tan : An expensive product that makes you look dirty and unwashed. Make up companies must be laughing all the way to the bank....talk about mass brainwash.

Soaps : They usually all rely on the following theme - two characters fall in love but with a twist be it that they're brother in law and sister in law, brother and sister, mother and son, father and daughter. All sensationalist stories under the guise of 'dealing with the issues affecting people today'.

Romantic comedies : Now these really get my goat. They usually start with a ditzy, yet strong and independent woman. A girl that every woman in the world should identify with, independent yet not too threatening to the status quo.The usual japes and misunderstandings follow, but thankfully in the end she ends up with the man that she'd been jousting with all along. The message : be as strong and as independent as you like girlies, but you won't really be happy unless you have a man by your side. Don't get me wrong, men are the greatest invention since spare ribs :p, but I really don't like the underlying theme in these movies.

Ooh and Merry Christmas everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

don't own any make up let alone wear it
    hate fake tan
    love getting mucky walking the dog
    swear a lot
    not too bothered with jewellery or fashion
    no interest in soaps, desperate housewives etc
    never read girly mags
    I can't stand condescending car salesmen or tradesmen
    some of the men on my street come to me to borrow power tools, spades etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

PillyPen wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to know why being girly is such a bad thing in the first place. This whole thread is kind of weird. Nothing wrong with being feminine, imo. If we can't be girly in tLL then where the hell can we? :)

Pillypen I don't think anybody is saying there is anything wrong with being girly. When I asked the question, I was asking about things that are typically things most (not all) women like or do that you dont do. I didn't suggest that those things were wrong.

Anyway, I think that for every 'girly' thing people dont like, there will be one they do like.

For example I may not like fake tan but I love handbags and shoes.

And I will defend Marian Keyes to the last :)

• Advertisement

Peared wrote: »
    Pillypen I don't think anybody is saying there is anything wrong with being girly. When I asked the question, I was asking about things that are typically things most (not all) women like or do that you dont do. I didn't suggest that those things were wrong.

Hey no, I wasn't trying to attack the initial post, sorry if it came off that way. It just seems like some of the responses are about trying not to seem like a girly girl. It strikes me as odd that the posters in a woman's forum would have a problem with being labeled overly feminine, when ideally this forum would be welcoming and inclusive of all types. I dunno, maybe I'm reading into things a bit too much! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I don't like clothes shopping.
    I don't watch soap opera's.
    I don't read chick lit.
    I don't 'follow' fashion for the sake of it.
    I don't read womens magazines, especially not the gossip ones.
    I don't watch gossip shows on TV.
    I don't read horoscopes.
    I don't have any interest in the lives of celebrities.
    I don't believe in fairies, guardian angels, or frogs into princes fantasies.
    I don't believe that handbags make you happy.

But. I do love pink, I love bookshops and weepy movies, I think Wuthering Heights is the most romantic novel ever written and is the mummy of all chick lit, I love a new dress, I want to believe in happily ever afters, I want babies, and I like cooking. Oh, and I'm quite stimulated by nice shoes and especially with matching bags, although I don't believe they are the path to happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hmm, I like all the things mentioned here. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Plug-me-in

I love shoes.
    I love clothes.
    I love mega-heels.
    I LOVE make-up.
    I like fake tan.
    I LOVE fashion.
    I love shopping.
    I love pink.
    I love fluffy things.
    I love pink fluffy things.
    I love going out.
    I love staying in.
    I love puppies.
    I love girly movies.
    I love girly books.
    I love soppy music.
    I love most pin-up men.
    I love most men in general.
    I love neat eyebrows.
    I love being freshly waxed.
    I even love Girls Aloud.

But I just can't stomach Ben n' Jerry's....

Plug-me-in wrote: »
    But I just can't stomach Ben n' Jerry's....

This is by far the most impressive dislike in this thread. Hats off to you!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is by far the most impressive dislike in this thread. Hats off to you!! :D

Don't encourage her, that's just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i hate fake tan
    i hate girls aloud, x factor, all those ballroom dancing shows
    i hate soaps
    i hate expensive designer clothes

i love watching and playing video games
    i love horseplaying
    i love pulling silly faces in photos, i don't care if it makes me uglier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

As girlyness goes, I'm pretty girly, but I can't be dealing with fake tan, and I never watch soaps. I don't like pink fluffy things. I can't stand when girls put on that "I'm so ditsy, amn't I cute?" thing. It doesn't matter to me whether I get married or not, and I doubt I'll ever be into maincures.

I cannot comprehend a hatred for Ben & Jerry's however, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

i love fashion,i love clothes,i love shopping
    i love eastenders
    i love shoes
    i love 'a touch of pink'...
    my fav. colour IS pink
    i love taking my dog for a walk, she even has her own jackets
    i love being intellegent
    i also love love fake tan
    i love getting my hair cut
    i love wearing make up
    i also love helping cutting down tree's with a chainsaw with my dad.

i hate xfactor with a passion
    i hate gossip
    i hate women who mistake femininity with airheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i hate handbags, somedays dont use one .. only use em when i really have to!
    hate fake tan, smell of it makes me sick.

but i <3 shoes, well my kinda shoes involes vans and the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I hate fake tan
    I hate make-up
    I hate heels
    I hate chart pop music
    I hate soaps and most similar stuff on TV
    I hate Strictly Come Dancing
    I am a final year BSc Computer Science student
    I love video games (though I don't have much time to play!)
    I'm also an enormous maths geek
    I own a rather interesting African sword
    I've got black belts in 2 martial arts
    I love my Caterpillar boots, my Doc Martens, my running shoes, my Etnies skate shoes and my Converse
    I have short hair and I wouldn't grow my hair long again if you paid me
    I like boobs and don't like cock
    I'm a huge metalhead
    I drink pints

But...
    I love shopping
    I love shoes (as long as they're comfortable!)
    I love my short skirts, good jeans, good underwear and making the most of what I have
    I love cooking, particularly desserts
    I love Ben and Jerry's and Haagen-Dazs ice cream
    I love Mamma Mia, Singstar and Dance Dance Revolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

I don't want to get married, but I would like to have children.
    I really hate modern girlie movies, but really love the old ones, like Breakfast at Tiffany's or Gone with the Wind.
    I love getting my nails done in all sorts of glittery colours but I also like kicking the shyte out of a bag when training martial arts.
    I hate fake tan but love make up. And would not pay a hairdresser 35 EUR for a blow dry (or whatever the extortionate going rate is nowadays), I'd rather go out in my naturally curly hair.

I would like a guy that would hold the door foor me and send me flowers to work but I have a tool box at home and I can and will do pretty much all DYI jobs myself.

I love watching sports and going to games and drinking beers with the lads, however I will try to always look my damn sexiest best when doing it.

I love my handbags and I prefer socializing with guys, but I'm also the best agony aunt my girl friends will ever have.

I absolutely hate, hate hate shopping the way other girls do it. I would like to get in and out of one shop. And that's it. Otherwise I start screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Pilly, I think the thread is great because we can now be as mulitfacetous as we want. We can be girlie but blokey and all at the same time! IT's brilliant!

:p to all the blokes that still can't be all to feminine without fear of being classed as ghey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I don't do fake tan, I rarely wear heels, I love man-hoodies, I don't know yet if I want kids, my taste in men has been described using words such as 'unusual' to 'terrible'. I hate being looked after and love independence. I'm not very romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I wear make up for a night out but not everyday
    I point blank refuse to ever wear fake tan no matter what the occasion - even if I am milk bottle white all year round ;)
    I live in converse most of the time, heels are for special occasions
    I don't listen to pop music, prefer my rock!
    I don't watch soaps, prefer crime or medical dramas
    I couldn't care less about celebrity gossip it makes no diffrence to my life what weight Victoria Beckham is
    I can outdrink my brothers

But, I love baking cakes and biscuits, and can't pass a cute puppy without going awwhh
    And I want to have kids someday, just not anytime soon!
    I think the most important thing about all of the above is that I am not ashamed to be me:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't like dark chocolate, or any large amounts of just pure chocolate.
    I hate chick lit and chick films.
    I don't like jewelry.
    I'm not into brand names.
    I don't like manicures or pedicures.
    I'm not into gossip, either within my own circles or about celebrities.
    I love sports and can get very competitive.
    I love traveling and have traveled all over the world... by myself.
    Shoe shopping drives me insane.

Now for some girly things:

I do love fluffy things. Color is irrelevant. The fluffier, the better.
    I love massages, especially ones that involve aromatherapy.
    I love cake and other baked goods.
    I love make up and have been known to come up with some rather abstract creations.
    I love playing dress up and retro clothes.
    I have been known to adorn my hair with flowers in spring and summertime.
    I do love sports, but my favorite is gymnastics, which is feminine (I guess).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

I hate soaps
    I hate shopping
    I hate chick flicks
    I hate sex and the fcuking city
    I hate Heat mag and all that celeb crap
    I find weddings and talk of wedding boring
    I hate pink

My friend recently gave me a copy of "The Secret" -I almost vommed on attempting to read the clap trap it propounded

I hate stupid patronising ads aimed at women

I could go on for ever

I hate when women say "chocolate is better than sex" STFU !!!
    What kind of sh1t sex are people having out there when they think chocolate is better.....

Dear oh dear, I do despair sometimes!

I hate small cars and other housewifely stuff !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Small cars arent housewifely. They're low emissions, low impact, low cost and everyone should be driving small cars.
    Actually I hate the term housewifely too...

I dont know about anyone else but I'm not sure I like this thread.

woot how great am I, I dont like girly things. Meh

/awaits slap on wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Share the same views as most of you....also have a child but Im hardly waht you would call motherly....I love my son to pieces but havent a clue what to do with him half the time...thank god hes in school now!He spoke like a grown up aged 1 cause I didnt to the whole baby talk cr@p..I have no idea how to use a hair dryer, hair straighteners or how to apply fake tan...I think its looks cr@p on most people anyway.I do wear make up & I like shoes & bags but I mostly live in trainers & trakkie bottoms. As soon as I get home I AM A SLOB! Also my OH is a househusband & great with a wee man so this suits me fine....also I hate the idea of a big wedding would much rather a vegas quickie!

Spooky nobody should have to choose. Ever. Seriously. But your lack of respect for chocolately goodness makes me gggrrr!

Peared...Important question. Are the kids going to live in your house or his?

I really cherish every last ounce of hard won girliness I can muster. I'm somewhat lacking in that department. As I suspect most of us lounge ladies are.

I don't get this bottom size fascism thing. The bigger the better in my stereotypically flat Irish book.

I'm not snobbish about literature. I can totally appreciate an afternoon escaped in the utterly ridiculious, trashy, fantasy world of Mills and Boon.
    But that chicklit stuff......people like Sophie Kinsella and That funny recovered alcoholic one.
    They make me want to scratch my eyes out to spare the utter boredom.
    If you like the majority you work in an office enviorment, and think about men and shop. Why would you read about people doing the same. :confused:

I totally don't get the desire to be the center of attention, that is important to some women when it comes to weddings.

Morgase wrote: »
    I love my job which involves lots of muck and machinery.

OOuuhh sounds interesting what do you do?

emo!! wrote: »
    i hate handbags, somedays dont use one .. only use em when i really have to!

I never used handbags until I figured out they helped me stop losing things.
    Didn't help at beers though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I don't like heels.. I prefer runners/flats but will wear them the odd time if I want to feel more feminine. I'd prefer to go out in a hoodie and jeans rather than a top.
    I hate skirts/dresses.
    I hate nightclubs.
    I like horseplay.
    I am not afraid of spiders/ most other insects except ones that jump and cockroaches.
    I don't like fake tan.
    I hate going to the hair dressers.
    I hate nail polish (apart from black the odd time)
    I curse an awful lot, an awful, awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Plug-me-in

This post has been deleted.

Oh here, I only highlighted the girly things i liked and the one girl thing i happen to not like... As the thread title asked us to...!!

Now if you want a list of the not-so-girly as such things i love and my "obsessions" I'll burst on....

I love mud
    I love wellies (green hunter country wellies)
    I love walking my dogs
    I love spending hours cleaning horse poop from my horses tails
    I love playstation games
    I love computer games
    I love chess
    I LOVE maths
    I love knowledge
    I love target-shooting

I also want to eventually be a neuro-surgeon, which would more than likely mean no kids, or else a very easy going hubby...

Now aliens from Mars, how about that??

Advertisement