Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATH7: Christmass Chaos!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

no need to apologise man do what you have to, and thanks for taking part thus far.

so do you guys want another day as this rd? It is supposed to end in about an hour and a half although I suppose unlike the past two i didnt actually state the end time for this round as it would be back to normal (i.e 2days a rd) as it was not happening on days like christmass eve/new years etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

so do you guys want another day as this rd? It is supposed to end in about an hour and a half although I suppose unlike the past two i didnt actually state the end time for this round as it would be back to normal (i.e 2days a rd) as it was not happening on days like christmass eve/new years etc...

Im afraid im going to have to pull out . Work is busy and losts of drinking during the silly season, i wont be able to sit down and write out answers. Sorry BH, ill take part in next one :)

Im afraid im going to have to pull out . Work is busy and losts of drinking during the silly season, i wont be able to sit down and write out answers. Sorry BH, ill take part in next one :)

well odds are youll host the next one (if you want to again) as Im only doing this one during this silly season as you put it as i wouldent have the time otherwise. no worries though, although at this point it seems if someone does put in answers they will probably win by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Sorry for the delay ... visiting and such.

ATH:Round 3
    Q.What would you choose to main event Wrestlemania, and how would you build to this match?, why did you make your choice and why did you choose one brand over an other to main event the biggest PPV of the year?

I would go with a two man Main Event. Randy Orton v John Cena (C). "The Legacy" storyline is becoming one of the most compelling ones in WWE in some time, and it looks to be building a stable which could go down as one of the greatest in the 21st century so far. Having done away with Batista for the next few months Orton's eyes fall on the World's Heavyweight Title that Cena is carrying around. As a second generation superstar he sees it as his birthright. After defeating Kane (or whomever) at the Rumble, Orton challenges for the title, but so do several other wrestlers. At No Way Out, Orton defeats the other challengers in the Elimination Chamber to become the no. 1 contender.

At the Rumble Cena defeats JBL to retain the title, but of course JBL has a complaint to make and demands a rematch at No Way Out. Cena has several wrestlers challenging for his title, but the match is given to JBL after a bit of bribery. Cena manages to defeat JBL (after some well timed interference from HBK, setting up HBK v JBL for mania too). After the match The Legacy (led by a battle weary Orton) comes to the ring and destroys Cena. The stable lifts Orton to their shoulders as he raises the belt above his head.
    In the buildup for Mania Cena enlists Crymetime to back him up and even up the numbers a bit. With the Authorities worried about keeping the main event of mania intact the two wrestlers are forced to sign a no contact contract, so war is waged verbally, and through various members of their factions.

Now I chose Cena because he is, and has been for a few years, the Franchise Player of WWE, and though some might not like saying it, deservedly so.

Orton I chose because he is one of the two best heels in the WWE today (Edge being the other). He is leading a stable of wrestlers who seem to have vast potential, some of whom will no doubt be world champions in years to come. A championship win at Mania for this stable would help legitimise the members of the stable and could help propel their careers to the next level.

Raw should main event wrestlemania because they can provide the more interesting match up. And also because Smackdown headlined last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Smackdown have Main Evented Mania 4 out of the last 6 years..And have won the Rumble every time since the draft split thingy..It couldnt be more obvious that RAW will win the Rumble...But Orton wont win the rumble because he is a heel..And heels dont win the Rumble..God..some people just dont understand

To: Cactus Col, Machismo fan and Regiano 2

should we just end this or would you three like to continue on your own?

Unfortunatley in the last few days Danger Dave, Little Shyte, Bubs101 & KKV have all pulled out due to personal/time reasons. This was seemingly unavoidable for all involved and they either Pm'd me or posted here, hopefully all are well but it means we only have the three of you left competing. I have no problem continuing with the remaining 2 rds and will mark this one immediatley once Regiano 2 submits a answer, if you guys would like to continue.

obviously this (as shown in previous incarnations) runs better at a less hectic time of year so ill take some of the blame if you guys dont want to finish, unfortunatley this was the only time I thought id be able to spend enough time to properly commit to reading through answers etc and running this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

should we just end this or would you three like to continue on your own?

I'm more than happy to continue.

I'm more than happy to continue.

I'll continue too ... probably won't be able to put another answer up until friday though.

• Advertisement

well considering Regiano 2 hasnt posted an answer in about 5 days ill assume he is out too and this will just be a head to head.

ill rate the last round which i had been waiting on later before i go out and post the Rd4 question then which will not need to be submitted till around 6 on Friday (if thats ok Col, if not seing as there are only two people ill allow leeway).

might change it so your allowed 2 counters aswell as this cant go too far off topic when there are only two people involved.

edit make that ill post the question whenever i regain conciousness tommorow as atleast then ill know for def Col will be able to do it as he said not before friday can he respons and its 2days a round....

btw HappyNewYear1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just a suggestion but if you put it on ice for a couple of weeks I could play and maybe a few of the others

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but if you put it on ice for a couple of weeks I could play and maybe a few of the others

like ive said i probably wouldent have enough time to do this after the christmass period (although tbh it prob wasnt the best time to do it) however someone else (Danger Dave has first refusal having done it before) can run another one at a better time for people

im only just concious now after a very messy night so ill edit this post in a bit and update the scores but here is the next question for what is now Machismo and Cactus Col's head to head last man standing match

---
    Q.If Someone in the WWE was to retire soon, who in your opinion should it be? and how would you go about the retirement angle on air?
    ---

Current Leaderboard

Machismo Fan Rd3: (18)..... Total: (54)
    Cactus Col Rd3: (18)......... Total: (52)

Bubs101 Rd2: (35)
    Regiano 2 Rd2: (32)
    Danger Dave Rd2: (32)
    Little Shyte Rd2: (31)
    KKV Rd1: (16)

yes i took the easy way out and scored you the same but tbh you both did as you said picked the obvious main events for both brands and explained well why either would make a good Main Event for mania, if i chose one over the other it would be more personal preferance than about your arguments and that wouldent be right imo.

Herewegoagain made a good point though (which is always welcome although as he wasnt part of the game i didnt let it affect my scoring) when he said "Smackdown have Main Evented Mania 4 out of the last 6 years..And have won the Rumble every time since the draft split thingy", therefore if i were to guess id say Col's is more likely to main event WM especially considering Hardy/Edge is to take place at the RR. That match id expect could end in a contencious way leading to whoever loses feeling they were screwed/deserve a rematch, and one they earn via winning an elimination no.1 contender match at No Way Out. Meanwhile Raw can get its first RR winner in a long time as Orton (here i do disagree with herewegoagain as i think a heel will win it which yes isnt the norm) helped by his legacy members throughout wins the rumble and goes on to face Cena for the title at Wrestlemania.

Smackdown have Main Evented Mania 4 out of the last 6 years

Is it not the other way around? Raw have had Cena/Michaels, HHH/Cena, HHH/Batista and Benoit/HHH/Michaels where as SmackDown! has had Angle/Lesnar and Edge/Undertaker.

I'll post my answer to the next round sometime tomorrow.

Sorry for the huge delay.

Q.If Someone in the WWE was to retire soon, who in your opinion should it be? and how would you go about the retirement angle on air?

It's probably not the most glamorous option, but I would go with Hacksaw Jim Duggan. At the moment, Duggan's only benefit to the Raw roster is to provide it with a nostalgia act for older fans, and a "usa" chant for patriotic fans. Never a great technical wrestler, the years have seen his skills decline.

The next Rumble is on January 25th, so I would have Jim come to the ring during the next episode of Raw, with his Crymetyme buddies, and announce his retirement for the Rumble. Over the next few weeks in the build-up to the ppv highlight packages would be shown featuring his first rumble win, defeating steve Austin for the WCW tv title, and various other wins, along with a few retired wrestlers (such as sgt slaughter, and whomever) appearing on shows giving tributes to him.

All this to remind fans that of Duggan's glory days and to instil in their minds that his retirement is an important event. Maybe not of the importance of Flair's, but one that should be taken note of none the less.

At the PPV, immediately prior to the Rumble, Jim comes out to give his goodbye to the fans, but out comes the Legacy. And beat him the hell down. Crymetime come out for the save, but the damage is done Jim is left a bloody mess in the middle of the ring.

Which sets up a nice little feud for Crymetyme at mania, and gives Duggan a nice little retirement, without having to go the whole hog of a ric flair style retirement.

I would retire The Undertaker at WrestleMania in a Loser Retires match with Shawn Michaels. At the Royal Rumble Michaels and Undertaker come to a standoff (while the commentators play up their history in the Rumble over the last two years). They go at for two minutes before the next entrant, Chris Jericho, comes out. They both turn their attention to Jericho and together they eliminate him. Michaels would then cheap shot Undertaker with a Sweet Chin Music as he turns around and Michaels eliminates Undertaker setting a certain amount of backstory to their feud.

The next night HBK taunts JBL over his loss to Cena and says he'd rather live poor than in debt to JBL and Sweet Chin Music's JBL and beats him later that night to end their rivalry.

The next week Michaels comes out and talks about how it's the start of the Road To WrestleMania and starts talking about how he is the name synonymous with WrestleMania and that he is Mr. WrestleMania and then suddenly then bong at the start of Undertaker's music hits and 16-0 flashes up on the screen.

On SmackDown! Undertaker claims that he defines WrestleMania and the streak will continue and become 17-0. Michaels comes out and challenges Undertaker to a match at WrestleMania to decide who is truely Mr. WrestleMania and the loser must retire!

On the way to WrestleMania Michaels and Undertaker have numerous face to face confrontations and at No Way Out Michaels beats Vladimir Koslov and says that it's a sign of things to come for Undertaker. On the last Raw before WrestleMania Michaels beats Jack Swagger, ending his unbeaten streak aswell, again as a sign of things to come before the lights go put, Undertaker appears beside his and Tombstone Piledrivers him and says that at WrestleMania Shawn Michaels career will 'Rest In Peace'.

The match is a guaranteed classic that will add buys to WrestleMania and give 'Taker a proper sending off.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of going with one of those, but my biggest problem with doing so would be that they are far too important to their respective shows at the moment.

The Undertaker - Edge feud, and the HBK - Y2J feud were arguably two of the best feuds of the year, especially on their respective brands. To retire either man would be to strip a brand of one of their top performers and would severely weaken that show.

SmackDown! has more than enough cover if Undertaker were to retire: Umaga, Big Show, Edge, HHH, Hardy, Kennedy, MVP and those going for the US title (Benjamin, Helms, Ron Killings) could keep SmackDown! going for the next year at the very least.

Whatever happened to this?

each round took longer and longer and more and more people dropped out until it got to the stage where christmass was over and i was going back to england with less time to do this and only you and Cactus were contributing, shoulda finished it so i apologise but never saw you guys actually responded till now as i thought the thread had just died.

No worries ... if you'd just go through the formalities and proclaim me the champion I think we can close the book on a successful ATH....

• Advertisement

each round took longer and longer and more and more people dropped out until it got to the stage where christmass was over and i was going back to england with less time to do this and only you and Cactus were contributing, shoulda finished it so i apologise but never saw you guys actually responded till now as i thought the thread had just died.

Well, are we going to finish it or just end it now? Up to you BH.

dont really have the time now tbh might seem like im always online but its usually just on in the background when im working, to be honest i was surprised to see this thread pop up again.
    Cactus Col wrote:
    if you'd just go through the formalities and proclaim me the champion I think we can close the book on a successful ATH....

dunno if that would be all that fair somehow id say it would be a disputed title but considering there were only two people still competing id be willing to proclaim you both co-champions or the first ATH tag champs :D

Might I add that I am currently winning.:) If you have time you could just correct our last answer's and announce the winner.

Might I add that I am currently winning.:) If you have time you could just correct our last answer's and announce the winner.

But I was about to hit my stride and win it!

dont really have the time now tbh might seem like im always online but its usually just on in the background when im working, to be honest i was surprised to see this thread pop up again.

dunno if that would be all that fair somehow id say it would be a disputed title but considering there were only two people still competing id be willing to proclaim you both co-champions or the first ATH tag champs :D

Even though I would have won if ATH had continued, I'll go with the Co-Champion idea .....

Yes you were slightly ahead and as you say i hadnt gotten to mark Rd 4 cos by the time they were actually posted I thought the game had been abondoned and was back here with less freetime but any winner is always going to be disputed i.e Cactus saying he was about to hit his stride and should it finish he woulda won. Feel bad that it has ended this way although if unlike below youd rather not be a co-champ or whatever if anyone at all would like to take my place and finish the game with you guys thats an option for you.
    Cactus Col wrote: »
    But I was about to hit my stride and win it!

Even though I would have won if ATH had continued, I'll go with the Co-Champion idea .....

Ah no, I'm only having a bit of fun, I've no doubt that Machismo would've won it in the end. Sure it's all a bit of fun and not to be taken too seriously.

Advertisement