Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean McKenna (Hunger Striker) Dies

Options
  • 19-12-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Sean McKenna, IRA volunteer, who spent 53 days on Hunger Strike in 1980 has died. many of the survivors of the first IRA Long Kesh hunger strike have died at a young age after long term health problems,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But at least he had food in his stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mike65 wrote: »

Whether you agreed with or not (and I did not), I think jokes like that are in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

madden1 wrote: »
    Sean McKenna, IRA volunteer, who spent 53 days on Hunger Strike in 1980 has died.

pointless was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

R I P AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRAFICES .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Mike that was in bad taste and you should know better.
    pointless was it not?

Not at all. If you know your history you will agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Lasted a fair while, didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Guys keep it civil and the jokes to a minimum please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madden1

nesf wrote: »
    Guys keep it civil and the jokes to a minimum please.
    Same as**oles would have been cracking jokes about Kevin Barry/James Connelly ect if they had been about then,
    they do not appreciate what these brave men have endured for their freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's a shame they were ignored and forgotten by SF etc.

RIP The sacrifice they gave up deserved more from the Republican movement.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

madden1 wrote: »
    Same as**oles would have been cracking jokes about Kevin Barry/James Connelly ect if they had been about then,
    they do not appreciate what these brave men have endured for their freedom.

Its best to ignore them a chara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 eire4life

R.I.P

Seanies32 wrote: »
    It's a shame they were ignored and forgotten by SF etc.

RIP The sacrifice they gave up deserved more from the Republican movement.

How were they ignored and forgotten by SF?

How were they ignored and forgotten by SF?

Try Bik Hughes for a start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Hughes

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »

And?

Damn, I forgot a lot of this stuff.

Arrested along with Gerry Adams and Tom Cahill. Interrogated in Springfield Road and Castlereagh. We all should know what went on in Castlereagh, the ECHR condemned it.

The Ivor Bell pseudonym was extremely important in IRA History. Allowed the IRA to operate from the Malone Road, very important for obvious reasons. It was often used by IRA Members because the real Ivor Bell became Chief of Staff between 82 and 83 until his arrest. Before that it was a good name or a derivation off, to use in Loyalist areas.

PS. Must try and find the Tribune article just after his death.

Sad, he was forgotten about AND most importantly, he felt he was forgotten about by SF.

We're not even onto the second page and you guys are already dragging it way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Its best to ignore them a chara

Having ripped into Conor Cruise O'Brien in the other thread it would be hypocritical of me to condemn such jibes at Sean McKenna.

Still, RIP comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭percy007

mike65 wrote: »

Did you even consider his family might be reading this thread?
    You may not agree with what he did/stood for, but it dosent give you the right to post garbage like this. That goes for a few others in this thread also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Criminals. Not political prisoners. Continued their dirty little war for 30 years after 1974 and then accpeted the same terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A brave man. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

percy007 wrote: »
    Did you even consider his family might be reading this thread?
    I think realistically the families of both Sean McKenna and Conor Cruise O'Brien have better things to be doing right now rather than piddling about on an Internet message board.

nesf already gave a comment warning five posts above, at this festive time I'd rather not go through both threads with an attitude on me but I will if I have to and I won't be that sympathetic to anyone posting with an attitude on any side just because it's Christmas.

sceptre wrote: »
    I think realistically the families of both Sean McKenna and Conor Cruise O'Brien have better things to be doing right now rather than piddling about on an Internet message board.

nesf already gave a comment warning five posts above, at this festive time I'd rather not go through both threads with an attitude on me but I will if I have to and I won't be that sympathetic to anyone posting with an attitude on any side just because it's Christmas.

Well as Seans Nephew i didnt see the funny side of it but hey do as you like i wonder would these keyboard warriors be as brave in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

percy007 wrote: »
    Well as Seans Nephew i didnt see the funny side of it but hey do as you like i wonder would these keyboard warriors be as brave in person.

Yes they would. People are entitled to their opinion, particularly if the OP invites sympathy or opinion on this forum.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Yes they would. People are entitled to their opinion, particularly if the OP invites sympathy or opinion on this forum.

Where did the OP invite opinion? He was stating that Sean had passed on, he wanted people to know this and to pay their respects (if they wanted) not the mindless drivel that is so associated with internet forums these days, everyone seems to think they are a comedian these days. "at least he had food in his belly" wtf is that set out to achieve?

I already warned people not to make any jokes precisely because it's not acceptable in a thread like this. Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK, we're done. Waste of electrons. Don't bother starting another thread on the subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement