Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

work laptop = vista

• 19-12-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

My work laptop came with vista but its absolutely slow,
    unzipping and moving files is really slow and do that alot.
    Doesnt show thumbnails and all in all its just dire

if i was to wipe that and install xp, is there a chance it wont run properly ? il obviously try get all the drivers first !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What laptop is it? Sounds like something else could be at fault, my netbook sounds like it runs vista ultimate better than what you describe. Is it running the latest version of vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Nope it will run fine once you get the drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you got SP1 installed?

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its a sonya vio, il check what version of vista, it has automatic updates so im assuming it would have it. Specs are not so bad,
    ive read that vista calculates remaining time for uncompressing transferring, e.g: unzipping say a wordpress installation folder takes forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

BY the sounds of it you don't have SP1 installed, that was one of the issues it addressed IIRC, My laptop (only thing I have using Vista, albeit 64bit Business) took a few weeks of me using it with auto update on for it to get SP1, best off to go get it your self using IE if the case that its not installed.

Could be a borked install of SP1 but that's rare *

* Not that rare unfortunately ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Placebo wrote: »
    its a sony vaio,
    hang on , I think I see the problem .... :pac:

for some reason the few sony's I've dealt with were sluggish compared to other laptops of similar spec, even after ruling out sw by swapping drives over :confused:

if you don't have 2GB ram then turn off the bells and whistles

deffo needs sp1 before it can copy large file faster than download speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

It'll install fine with xp, you'll need to get the sata drivers for the hard disk controller. You can custom create an xp install disk with sata drivers included (saves using an external floppy disk drive), using a program called nLite.

Alternatively you could (if your bios supports it) switch the sata mode to IDE instead of AHCI then install the sata driver once windows, it can be complicated so it's just as handy to do it using nLite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

hang on , I think I see the problem .... :pac:

for some reason the few sony's I've dealt with were sluggish compared to other laptops of similar spec, even after ruling out sw by swapping drives over :confused:

if you don't have 2GB ram then turn off the bells and whistles

deffo needs sp1 before it can copy large file faster than download speed

Actually I've noticed this too, every Sony I've seen has just been a disaster :confused:

I assume you aren't using the default decompressor on vista?

Not showing thumbnails is an option you've chosen, not an issue with vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

On the unzipping thing, you aren't using windows built-in zip/unzip utility are you? It's horribly slow.

Recommend a free one, http://www.7-zip.org/

Advertisement