Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas pudding in calico - but water got in! What to do?

• 19-12-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've just made a boiled Christmas pudding, wrapped tightly in calico (according to recipe) and cooked for 5 hours, constant topping up with water. But disaster struck. The pot boiled over towards the end, and the gas went out under the pot. I returned to check on it to find the pot had gone off the boil, and pudding was bobbing away in still very hot water. I took it out (even though the recipe says 6 hours) and hung it up for last 10 hours. The pudding has dried out and looks great from the outside everywhere except around the top where I suspect that water has got into it.

Is there any way to save the pudding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I'd be interested in any suggestions too. Water got into one of the ones my mom made and she's considering making mince pies out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i dont know how to fix it but do know how to prevent it. You line your muslin with greased parchment paper, ive never had a pudding that leaked. Love it boiled and not steamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lgibbs

Thank you for the suggestion, Foodaholic. In the recipe that I was following they tell you to rub flour into the calico, put the pudding mix into the middle and then pull the corners together, gathering tightly and tie up. Do you bother to put the flour in? If so do you put the greased paper on top of the calico, then put in the flour, or do you skip the flour altogther?

Cheers

Advertisement